GMP release further information about Arndale attack

John Greenhalgh / Twitter

The Arndale was evacuated today after a serious incident in which several people were injured.

Police were quick to respond to the scene, after a number of stabbings were reported near the shopping centre at 11.15am today, Friday October 11th.

Video footage on social media showed the aftermath of the incident, with one featuring a man detained on the floor as police deploy a taser.

Although the suspect was originally arrested on suspicion of serious assault, Greater Manchester Police have since confirmed they’ve rearrested a 41-year-old man from Manchester on suspicion of the commission, preparation and instigation of an act of terrorism.

According to eyewitness reports the man was seen lunging at people with a knife.

GMP confirmed counter-terrorism police are leading the investigation, although the man’s motive is currently unclear and police are keeping an 'open mind'.

A GMP update confirms they believe several people were injured in the attack.

The statement reads: “We were called to reports of a multiple stabbing at the Arndale shopping centre at 11.15am earlier today (Friday 11 October 2019). At this stage we believe that four people were injured during the incident – not five as previously reported. We will update as the situation becomes clear.”

It continues:

A 19-year-old woman – was taken to hospital with stab wounds. Another woman was also taken to hospital with stab injuries. Both their conditions are described as stable. A man in his 50s has also been taken to hospital with stab wounds. A fourth victim – a woman in her 40s - who was not stabbed – has been assessed and did not need to go to hospital following assessment by paramedics. A man in his 40s – who was arrested at the scene on suspicion of serious assault – remains in custody for questioning.

Police keep revising the number of people injured in the attack, but they currently think the figure to be five.

According to North West Ambulance Service one patient suffered 'serious' injuries. However, Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said they believed none of the wounds were life-threatening: "Although the injuries are nasty, we are told that, thankfully, none are life-threatening."

Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson added: "At this time we do not believe that there is anyone else involved in this attack but we will be constantly keeping this under review. We'll have increased patrols, including armed patrols, in the city centre this weekend. This is to reassure people, but we do not believe there is a wider threat at this time and we are hoping to return the city to normality by tomorrow morning."

Police are currently appealing for any video footage of the incident.

GMP have set up a rendezvous point in Piccadilly Gardens and warned the public not to be alarmed by a large police presence there.

At this point it’s being reported that there were no fatalities.

Previous Post
Next Post

Comments