More conversation celebration down the road at Chester Zoo, as the award-winning wildlife park has welcomed four African ducklings who belong to a rare breed.
As is so often the case with the work they do all year-round, their arrival could help signal the species’ survival in the long run, whose status was sadly upgraded from vulnerable to endangered on the official IUCN Red List.
The particular type of fowl we’re referring to is the Maccao duck, a stiff-tailed bird that typically belongs to the fresh and brackish inland waters of Eastern and Southern Africa.
Medium-sized, chunky, with big bills and subtle striping around their heads, they’re gorgeous creatures as is, but especially so as ducklings…
If you didn’t say ‘awww’ out loud, then you’re just lying.
ADVERTISEMENT
As the Zoo itself put it, they are “rare, fluffy and VERY cute.” Celebrating what is “a breeding breakthrough for one of Africa’s rarest ducks […] so these little guys are kind of a big deal.”
These little delightful little duckies are known for diving down to the bottom of lakes and riverbeds to forage for aquatic invertebrates and plants; in fact, given the choice, they tend to prefer going underwater over flying pretty much full-stop.
ADVERTISEMENT
As a resident species that doesn’t migrate like many other birds, they are native to nations like Namibia, Zimbabwe and Ethiopia. They’re identifiable by their dark black heads, blue bills (among the males, at least) and presence within the wetlands.
However, their estimated numbers continue to drop, and unfortunately, just 14 of their kind currently remain in Kenya and only 100 in Tanzania, with fewer than 5,000 believed to be left across the entire African continent.
Not only is this the first time the species has ever been successfully bred by bird experts at Chester Zoo, but conservationists hope ducklings will put a spotlight on the threatened species.
ADVERTISEMENT
Their scientific name is ‘Oxyura maccoa’.Just like human babies, they prone to stuff all over their face.As far as ducklings go, these adorable little African variants are pretty special. (Credit: Supplied)
The zoo’s Head of Birds, Andrew Owen, said of their birth: “As one of just seven zoos in Europe – and 12 zoos globally – that care for Maccoa ducks, these ducklings are very special as they’re the first of their kind to ever hatch here at the zoo – making it a really historic moment for our team,
“This success gives a real boost to the future of the species, and these vital new additions will contribute to the safety-net population in zoos. These birds are facing rapid decline in the wild, so every hatchling really does count.
“To see them now out on the water inside our new Heart of Africa habitat, which is dedicated to helping Africa’s most threatened species thrive, makes this milestone even more special.”
Nothing short of brilliant news, we’re sure you’ll agree; better still, in addition to the crucially charitable and conversation-based tourist attraction being named one of England’s most popular destinations once again, but these are the only rare birds welcome by the zookeepers this month.
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”