Retired footballer Joey Barton has officially been sentenced following a series of offensive posts on social media over the past year or so.
Six counts pertaining to three individuals, in particular, were highlighted when he appeared for his final hearing at Liverpool Crown Court on Monday, 8 December: online abuse directed at fellow ex-pros Eni Aluko, Lucy Ward and broadcaster Jeremy Vine.
Charged and now finally found guilty of ‘grossly offensive electronic communication with intent to cause distress or anxiety’, Joey Barton has been given a six-month prison sentence – suspended for 18 months, however, meaning he won’t serve jail time unless he reoffends during this period.
Here he is queuing up outside the Crown Court earlier today:
BREAKING: Former footballer Joey Barton given six-month prison sentence suspended for 18 months over "grossly offensive" social media posts about Jeremy Vine, Lucy Ward and Eni Aluko. pic.twitter.com/dQuAAT1mQu
For context, the social media posts in question refer to the ones made on X (previously known as Twitter) and directed at the aforementioned public figures.
ADVERTISEMENT
The former Manchester City player and Liverpool youth product, who is originally from Merseyside but is now based around Widnes in Cheshire, was found guilty on Friday despite insisting his innocence throughout.
Barton – now 43 and having become a vocal far-right commentator – compared Aluko and Ward to two of the most infamous convicted serial killers in British history, writing that they were “the Fred and Rose West of football commentary” back in January 2024.
ADVERTISEMENT
He also labelled radio host and TV presenter, Vine, a “bike nonce” in a post that he later went on to dismiss as nothing more than “crude banter” and an attempt at “dark and stupid humour”, stating that he has no intention of actually suggesting he was a paedophile.
Elsewhere in the court appearance, Barton claimed that he is a victim of “political prosecution”; nevertheless, the judge found that the one-time England international (who also played for Newcastle, QPR, Burnley, Rangers and Marseille) “crossed the line between free speech and a crime.”
You can see the moment Judge Andrew Menary handed down the verdict, which will see him avoid time in custody once more, in full down below.
ADVERTISEMENT
As per an official update via the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), Senior Prosecutor Callum Bryce of CPS Mersey-Cheshire said: “Between early January and mid-March 2024, Barton subjected three public figures to offences of malicious communications.
“Barton said in his evidence before the court that in some of his messages he was trying to make a serious point in a provocative way and that in others he was simply joking.
“The finding of the jury confirmed that his conduct had gone beyond any joke and his messages were grossly offensive with the purpose of causing anxiety and distress to his victims.”
It’s also worth noting that he has been charged, found guilty and sentenced before already this year.
Tribute paid to man ‘loved by so many’ stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Daisy Jackson
The brother of a man stabbed to death in Levenshulme has paid a heartbreaking tribute to him.
Zherko Rasul Osman was just 24 years old when he was fatally wounded in an incident on Chapel Street on Saturday evening.
Despite the best efforts of emergency services personnel, Zherko sadly died at the scene.
Now, his brother has paid tribute to him, saying he was ‘someone who was loved by so many’.
The touching tribute reads: “My brother was a kind, friendly and loving person who never looked for trouble or wanted to harm anyone.
“He was loved and respected by his friends, his mates and the neighbours in the community where he lived. He had a good heart and would always be remembered for the warmth and happiness he brought to those around him.
“His life was taken so suddenly and for no reason, leaving a pain and emptiness that words cannot describe. We are heartbroken that someone who was loved by so many is no longer here. He deserved to live his life and make memories with the people he loved.
“He will never be forgotten. His smile, his kindness and the memories we shared with him will stay in our hearts forever. We love you, and we will miss you every single day.”
Zherko Rasul Osman suffered serious stab wounds on Chapel Street in Levenshulme at around 7.06pm on Saturday 15 August.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning. A 27-year-old man who had also been arrested on suspicion of murder remains on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers continue to make progress as the investigation continues. It is believed this was an isolated incident with no wider threat to the public.
Police are urging anyone who may have information to please report it through the dedicated online portal HERE.
Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell or dashcam footage can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Government launches £442m drive to get rough sleepers off streets before Christmas
Emily Sergeant
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas.
Learning from ‘innovative’ approaches put into place during the pandemic, the Government has announced that new accommodation will be rolled out across England this winter, as well as offering practical help with housing, health, and other needs to support people to build a more stable life for themselves in the future.
The new commitment to offer everyone a route off the streets this Christmas, along with boosted funding, reflect the Andy Burnham‘s national drive to make ‘real change’ and get everyone playing their part in ending rough sleeping.
Not only will these plans change the lives of rough sleepers, but it’s also said they will have huge benefits for the country as a whole.
Research from homelessness charity Crisis suggests that by preventing 40,000 people from becoming homeless for a year, taxpayers could save around £370 million.
The Government has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas / Credit: Number 10 Press Office | Jon Tyson (via Unsplash)
As well provisions to get people off the streets, and the intensive ‘wraparound’ support, the newly allocated funding will also help local areas deliver more than 1,000 ‘settled’ homes over the next three years, it has been confirmed.
Areas facing the greatest pressures will receive the largest share of support.
Working alongside councils, Mayors will play a leading role in driving local action to end rough sleeping, and will be tasked with making decisions that are right for their communities to deliver help where it’s needed most.
The Prime Minister says he ‘won’t accept’ rough sleeping any longer. He commented: “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station, but we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping, and it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas. We did it in the pandemic, we can do it again. But it needs all of us.