It’s the “world famous” market that gives Mancunians so much pride. Over five hundred years old, it’s legendary in the north west and has just been crowned Britain’s Favourite Market once again, taking home the gong for the second time running.
Yes, we’re talking about Bury Market – home to everything from local food producers selling black pudding and Eccles cakes to traders flogging electrical goods, clothes, footwear and more every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.
Judges at the Great British Market Awards 2022 officially presented Bury Market operators with their trophy last week at an awards ceremony held in Birmingham at the end of last week.
It's been a day of celebration here on Bury Market, off the back of our award win yesterday! 🥳
The stallholders are buzzing with Bury being named Britain's Favourite Market, and who can blame them?!
Councillor Charlotte Morris, cabinet member for culture and the economy, said: “We’re thrilled that Bury Market has won yet another national award, this one decided by the people who visit it, as we did in 2019.
“It’s a fitting reward for the traders, who make the market the wonderful place it is and ensure that our many thousands of visitors have a great day out and pick up bargains galore.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Bury Market is truly the town’s ‘jewel in the crown’, and this latest award shows just how popular the market is with people across the length and breadth of the country.”
Bury Market was granted its charter in the 1440s and now attracts millions of visitors every year and thousands of coaches from across the country. It boasts 370 stalls on its three sites – the Market Hall, Outdoor Market, and the Fish and Meat Hall.
ADVERTISEMENT
Local traders are over the moon to be crowned Britain’s favourite market once again. / Image: Bury Market via Twitter
And plans are well underway to make the market even better. Bury has won £20 million from the Levelling Up Fund, which will transform the market area and include a new flexi-hall.
This state-of-the-art, carbon-neutral, multifunctional events space will support market stalls, ‘pop-up’ trading, live performance, and community events.
Councillor Eamonn O’Brien, leader of the council, said: “This investment, plus nearly £5 million more from Bury Council, will bring regeneration and prosperity both to the market and the wider town centre area.
ADVERTISEMENT
Bury is famous for its black pudding and you’ll find a number of stall selling the blood pudding delicacy here. / Image: Geograph
“We are determined to have the best of both worlds – to keep all that is great about our historic traditional market, while making sure we adapt to the challenges posed by the rise in online shopping and customers’ changing preferences.”
The awards were presented by Simon Baynes MP, chairman of the All-Party Parliamentary Markets Group.
Feature image – Bury Market via Twitter
News
Tribute paid to man ‘loved by so many’ stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Daisy Jackson
The brother of a man stabbed to death in Levenshulme has paid a heartbreaking tribute to him.
Zherko Rasul Osman was just 24 years old when he was fatally wounded in an incident on Chapel Street on Saturday evening.
Despite the best efforts of emergency services personnel, Zherko sadly died at the scene.
Now, his brother has paid tribute to him, saying he was ‘someone who was loved by so many’.
The touching tribute reads: “My brother was a kind, friendly and loving person who never looked for trouble or wanted to harm anyone.
“He was loved and respected by his friends, his mates and the neighbours in the community where he lived. He had a good heart and would always be remembered for the warmth and happiness he brought to those around him.
“His life was taken so suddenly and for no reason, leaving a pain and emptiness that words cannot describe. We are heartbroken that someone who was loved by so many is no longer here. He deserved to live his life and make memories with the people he loved.
“He will never be forgotten. His smile, his kindness and the memories we shared with him will stay in our hearts forever. We love you, and we will miss you every single day.”
Zherko Rasul Osman suffered serious stab wounds on Chapel Street in Levenshulme at around 7.06pm on Saturday 15 August.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning. A 27-year-old man who had also been arrested on suspicion of murder remains on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers continue to make progress as the investigation continues. It is believed this was an isolated incident with no wider threat to the public.
Police are urging anyone who may have information to please report it through the dedicated online portal HERE.
Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell or dashcam footage can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Government launches £442m drive to get rough sleepers off streets before Christmas
Emily Sergeant
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas.
Learning from ‘innovative’ approaches put into place during the pandemic, the Government has announced that new accommodation will be rolled out across England this winter, as well as offering practical help with housing, health, and other needs to support people to build a more stable life for themselves in the future.
The new commitment to offer everyone a route off the streets this Christmas, along with boosted funding, reflect the Andy Burnham‘s national drive to make ‘real change’ and get everyone playing their part in ending rough sleeping.
Not only will these plans change the lives of rough sleepers, but it’s also said they will have huge benefits for the country as a whole.
Research from homelessness charity Crisis suggests that by preventing 40,000 people from becoming homeless for a year, taxpayers could save around £370 million.
The Government has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas / Credit: Number 10 Press Office | Jon Tyson (via Unsplash)
As well provisions to get people off the streets, and the intensive ‘wraparound’ support, the newly allocated funding will also help local areas deliver more than 1,000 ‘settled’ homes over the next three years, it has been confirmed.
Areas facing the greatest pressures will receive the largest share of support.
Working alongside councils, Mayors will play a leading role in driving local action to end rough sleeping, and will be tasked with making decisions that are right for their communities to deliver help where it’s needed most.
The Prime Minister says he ‘won’t accept’ rough sleeping any longer. He commented: “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station, but we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping, and it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas. We did it in the pandemic, we can do it again. But it needs all of us.