Shoppers across the UK will now be able to pay up to £100 using contactless card payment services from today.
At the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, the payment cap was increased to £45 to help reduce the need for customers to handle cards and cash due to concerns about the virus being transmitted via surfaces.
But today’s payment limit increase to £100, announced last week, is the most significant yet.
The latest increase, which was initially announced in March’s budget, will not be available everywhere straight away however, as some businesses and retailers still need to roll out changes to their technology, while others may choose not to adopt the new limit at all.
The British Retail Consortium said consumers should check with individual stores, as it could take “days, weeks or even months” for the change to be put in place.
ADVERTISEMENT
Here’s everything we know so far.
Why is the limit increasing?
As mentioned, the decision to increase the limit was taken by the Treasury and the City regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), and was announced last week, but Chancellor Rishi Sunak first teased it during his 2021 Budget back in March.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mr Sunak said the decision to increase the limit to £100 would not only be more convenient for shoppers, but it would also be a boost to the High Street following several lockdowns.
When contactless card payments were introduced in 2007, the transaction limit was set at £10 and designed as an alternative to small change – but the limit has been gradually raised five times over a number of years since then.
It increased to £45 last year, as the pandemic accelerated a move away from cash.
ADVERTISEMENT
The increase also comes after it was found that more than a quarter of all payments in the UK were contactless in 2020, according to figures from the banking trade body UK Finance, with 83% of people using the technology.
A Financial Conduct Authority spokesperson said the rules have been changed to help the industry continue “to respond to the changing ways in which people prefer to pay”.
Shoppers across the UK will now be able to pay up to £100 using contactless card payment services from today / Credit: Flickr
Why can’t it be used in all retailers just yet?
The short answer is that not every shop is ready to facilitate the new limit from today,
Due to the huge number of terminals which need to be updated, this means that Friday marks the first day of a gradual introduction of the new limit, with the Andrew Cregan – Payments Policy Adviser at the British Retail Consortium – admitting: “It may take days, weeks, or even months for some retailers to make the necessary changes in their systems so that the new limit can take effect.”
“Some retailers may [also] choose not to adopt the new contactless limit,” he added.
ADVERTISEMENT
“As a result, customers will need to take care when making payments to check what the maximum contactless limit is for individual stores.”
The increase also comes after it was found that more than a quarter of all payments in the UK were contactless in 2020 / Credit: Wikimedia Commons
What are the risks?
A number of experts and organisations have spoken out to make shoppers aware of the risks as the limit increases to £100, warning that the change will make contactless cards more of a target for fraudsters, or cause problems for people who are struggling to stay in control of their spending.
Age UK has also warned that because the raising of the limit could increase the potential for fraud, it may therefore put some older people off using bank cards to pay for goods and services when they’re out and about.
Because of this, several banks across the UK have said they will also allow account holders to set a contactless limit of less than £100, or even turn it off altogether.
Gareth Shaw – Head of Which? Money – added: “While paying with contactless offers great flexibility and convenience for many people, some may be wary about the significant increase – so it is encouraging to see some banks allowing customers to set their own contactless limits from as low as £30.
ADVERTISEMENT
“These changes may make contactless cards slightly more attractive for fraudsters, but encouragingly the risk of being defrauded via a contactless card remains low and if a fraudster does use your card details then your card provider should reimburse you.
“Consumers should be able to feel confident using them.”
Featured Image – Flickr
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”