A teenage boy has been arrested on suspicion of robbery after threatening a young mother and baby at knifepoint.
Officers were called to reports that a vehicle had been stolen from Mytham Road in Little Lever at around 5pm yesterday.
The victim was a 24-year-old woman who was holding her 10-week-old newborn baby at the time, the Manchester Evening News reports.
Police were first called to the report of a knife-point robbery, but were later called out to a road traffic collision in relation to the stolen vehicle.
Mytham Road in Little Lever. Credit: Google Maps
The second scene, at around 7.30pm on Great Western Street, led to the arrest of a 17-year-old boy, who remains in custody.
ADVERTISEMENT
The investigation is ongoing.
GMP detectives are now looking for more information to help with their enquiries, such as dashcam footage and eye witnesses.
ADVERTISEMENT
Any sightings of the vehicle – a dark grey Seat Cupra with the registration XL02 DEC – across the two-hour period between the robbery and the teen’s arrest should be reported to police.
Detective Sergeant Carla Deighton from the Bolton district said, “We’re treating this incident very seriously and after a quick response from our officers we were able to track down and detain a suspect in relation to what happened.
“I also want to reassure our local community that we have increased high-visibility patrols in the area as a result.
“We understand this incident will cause some serious concern, but we are continuing to work hard to ensure we can bring justice to the victim who was going about their daily business.
“We are now appealing to the public to help with any vital information they have that will help in our investigation and in particular anyone who may have caught the vehicle on their dashcam between 5-7:30pm.”
Anyone with any details that will help detectives in their investigation are asked to call the Neighbourhood Priority Crime Team on 0161 856 5684 quoting log 2272 of 01/11/22.
Featured image: GMP
Crime
Arrests made following Piccadilly Gardens fight that left several men with stab wounds
Emily Sergeant
A number of arrests have been made following reports of a fight in Piccadilly Gardens one night earlier this week.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) confirmed that officers from the City Centre policing team responded to reports of a fight in Piccadilly Gardens at around 9:54pm on Tuesday (19 May 2026), and when they arrived at the scene, they discovered multiple people with stab wounds.
A man in his 20s was found at the scene by police with stab wounds and was taken to hospital for treatment.
A second man, in his 50s, was located nearby with a stab wound to his arm and was also taken to hospital, and a third man, also in his 20s, later attended Manchester Royal Infirmary with a stab wound to his back.
All three men have been arrested on suspicion of affray, GMP stated.
Officers do not believe there to be a wider threat to the public at this time, however the public is being told there will be an ‘increased police presence’ in the area as a precaution.
As enquiries continue at pace, detectives from the City of Manchester CID team are now appealing for information and witnesses.
“The use of knives or violence in our communities is completely unacceptable,” commented Detective Superintendent Ian McNabb, of GMP’s City of Manchester Central District. “Incidents like this are incredibly serious and can have devastating consequences.
“Our officers are working tirelessly in the city centre and across Greater Manchester to tackle this kind of offending and keep people safe.
“We will be relentless in our efforts to remove knives from our streets and to bring those who carry or use them to justice to prevent incidents like this happening.”
Can you help? Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101, or via LiveChat online, quoting log 3667 of 19/05/2026.
Featured Image – GMP
Crime
Bury primary school teaching assistant jailed after pleading guilty to child sex offences
Emily Sergeant
A teaching assistant from Bury has been sentenced after pleading guilty to multiple sex offences against a ‘vulnerable’ young boy.
Terri Cook, of Masefield Avenue in Radcliffe, appeared at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court last week, where she was sentenced after pleading guilty to eight charges of sexual offences.
The sentencing came after officers from Greater Manchester Police‘s (GMP) Child Protection Investigation Unit (CPIU) began in ‘intense’ investigation into Cook back in September of last year after a member of the public reported seeing her out with a young boy.
The subsequent investigation showed that she had been grooming and manipulating the young boy into engaging in a sexual relationship with her.
Police found numerous messages on Cook’s phone where she had been inciting sexual communications with the boy and holding indecent images of him, and she was also found to have been buying him expensive items, like jewellery and clothing, for a period of more than nine months.
During a powerful statement read out in court, the young boy was described as being ‘extremely kind and caring’, with his mum adding: “Despite experiencing traumatic events earlier in his life, he continued to be positive and compassionate. He smiled every day and made us all laugh.”
Cook was sentenced four-and-a-half years in prison for eight charges of sexual offences.
Speaking following the sentencing, Detective Sergeant Adam Stanfield, from GMP’s Bury CPIU, said: “This case was a horrific example of calculated abuse of power, and Cook targeted a vulnerable child who put his trust in her.
“Grooming is a form of manipulation that can leave lasting emotional and psychological damage, and our priority remains protecting young people and supporting victims as they recover.
“This sentencing also emphasises our unwavering commitment to protecting male victims. They can be victims too and I urge anyone who believes they may have been through anything similar to please report to us.”