News
News
Murder investigation launched after man stabbed to death in Levenshulme over weekend
Emily Sergeant
A murder investigation has been launched following the death of a young man in Levenshulme over the weekend.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained that officers were called to reports of a man who suffered ‘serious stab wounds’ on Chapel Street at around 7:06pm on Saturday evening (15 August), and once they arrived on the scene, the victim was pronounced dead despite the best efforts of emergency services.
The identity of the victim has not yet been announced, but it has been confirmed that he was a 24-year-old man.
Work is ongoing to locate the victim’s next of kin, and several scenes remain in place while the police investigation continues.
According to police, it is believed that this was an ‘isolated incident’ with no wider threat to the public.
While a 27-year-old man has already been arrested on suspicion of murder and is currently in police custody, GMP have still issued a public appeal for information.
“Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the victim in this tragic incident,” commented Detective Inspector Alex Wilkinson, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.
“Officers acted swiftly to arrest a man, who is in our custody for questioning.
“Our investigation is ongoing and we would like to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”
Read more:
- Murder investigation launched as man dies two years after ‘life-changing’ Oldham attack
- Investigation launched after man ‘brutally’ murdered at Peak District stone circle on summer solstice
- 93-year-old woman found dead in Stockport suburb with murder investigation launched
Can you help? Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell and dashcam footage, can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
“Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Read more
- Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
- Plans unveiled to deliver 50,000 council and ‘genuinely affordable’ homes in Greater Manchester
- Government sets out multi-million-pound plan to move UK away from animal testing in science
Featured image: GMP