A former personal trainer from Manchester has been jailed after grooming and sexually assaulting a teenage client.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) first received information that Matthew Lawrence was having a sexual relationship with a 15-year-old child while he was a personal trainer in a gym at the time, and had befriended her by offering to train and help her with her diet and nutrition.
At first, the manager of the gym was said to be “concerned” that the victim was not over the age of 16, as per the gym’s membership requirements, and approached Lawrence advising him to terminate her membership.
Lawrence, however, replied stating: “Don’t ban her, in case she goes to the police.”
In past conversations, Lawrence had said he preferred dating younger girls as he liked their “innocence”, and had also bragged to another member of the gym that he had been exchanging indecent images with the victim, which, of course, led staff at the gym to become concerned by his behaviour and were become fearful that he had groomed her.
ADVERTISEMENT
Thankfully, they reported the matter to the police, and Lawrence was subsequently circulated as wanted.
Matthew Lawrence was sentenced at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court this week / Credit: Flickr
After detectives managed to track down several witnesses who stated that they were in the presence of Lawrence when he learned the victim was just 15-years-old, as well as gathering further evidence from his mobile phone, the victim bravely confided in her mother in August 2023, and told her that Lawrence had tried to kiss her, and physically forced her to commit sexual acts on him.
ADVERTISEMENT
When interviewed by specially-trained officers, the victim disclosed that Lawrence had taken her to the cinema as a reward for training so hard in the gym, before sexually assaulting her in his locked car.
Phone analysis conducted also showed that there were over 3,000 calls and texts between Lawrence and the victim in the space of just a month, many of a sexually explicit nature.
He was arrested by GMP officers at London Airport on the 1 September 2023, which prevented him from starting a new job as a personal trainer on a cruise ship.
After Lawrence pleaded guilty to sexual communication with a child, and two counts of sexual activity with a child at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court yesterday (Tuesday 28 January), he was eventually sentenced to three years and nine months in jail.
He is also subject to an indefinite restraining order and sexual notification order, and a 10 year sexual harm prevention order.
Featured Image – GMP
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.