Greater Manchester Police has this morning released a statement in relation to concerns on social media around “unlawful posters” in the Manchester area.
It is believed to be in response to displays seen in the windows of Manchester Metropolitan University’s Birley and Cambridge halls of residence – where 1,700 students are currently self-isolating due to 99 students having tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) – and comes after the University stated it had been requested by the constabulary that “the posters must not break the law or they’ll have to be removed”.
The constabulary’s Superintendent from the City of Manchester policing team – who also heads up Operation Student Safe – made the statement addressing this on social media this morning.
He confirmed that GMP is yet to receive any reports concerning the matter.
It comes after Manchester Metropolitan University and Student Living were believed to have contacted the students currently self-isolating in the Birley and Cambridge halls of residence asking them to remove a the signs in an email that read: “We are contacting you all today to ask for the signs which are on display on the windows in your flat need to removed.
“Please ensure these are removed asap.”
Posters, signs and arrangements of post-it notes displayed in windows were visible from the streets, and photographs of which have been widely circulated throughout mainstream and social media over the weekend.
They were seen reading messages such as “HMP MMU”, “9k 4 What?”, “F*** Boris”, and “Tories out” among others.
After the request to remove the displays went onto receive widespread criticism by the students themselves and members of the public, MMU then took to social media yesterday evening to issue a public apology.
They stated the that the message “didn’t reflect the University’s view”.
The University said: “We apologise for the message sent to our students last night about posters in windows, it didn’t reflect the University’s view. We respect the rights of students to express themselves, but as requested by [Greater Manchester Police], the posters must not break the law or they’ll have to be removed.”
This then prompted calls on social media by many questioning how posters or the arrangement of post it notes could be seen as “break[ing] the law”.
It was also noted at the time that Greater Manchester Police were yet to make a public statement on the matter.
Now, an official statement response by Superindendent Richard Timson – in charge of Operation Student Safe – has been issued on social media this morning. It reads: “As far as we are aware, there have currently not been any reports made to GMP in regards to unlawful posters in the Manchester area.
“If this matter is reported to GMP, the content of posters would be reviewed with consideration made around whether any offences have been committed under the Public Order Act 1986.”
Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear diagnosed with dementia
Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear, who famously played the iconic character Bet Lynch for over 25 years, has sadly been diagnosed with dementia.
Issuing a statement via ITV, her husband Scott Brand confirmed that they had been given the “heartbreaking diagnosis” this week.
Goodyear, 81, played the legendary Rovers Return pub landlord for over two decades across two different spells on the show, starting in 1966 before leaving the show for good in 1995.
Brand told the outlet on Wednesday: “Unfortunately, Julie has been suffering forgetfulness for some time and we have been seeking medical advice and assistance, but we now know that there is no hope of a reversal in the situation – and that her condition will get progressively, and perhaps speedily, worse.”
He went on to say that he and Goodyear “have taken the decision to publicly announce the diagnosis as Julie still loves visiting friends and eating out”, noting that she inevitably gets recognised “and fans love to meet her – and she them – but she can get confused particularly if she is tired” and adding they “hope people will understand.”
The Manc soap star and household name is from Heywood in Rochdale and retired from acting in 2003 after making her final special appearance on the Coronation Street spin-off, After Hours.
Manchester United star Antony accused of domestic violence by ex-girlfriend
Manchester United winger Antony dos Santos has been accused of domestic violence by his ex-girlfriend in Brazil.
The 23-year-old has been hit with multiple allegations of assault, bodily injury and threatening behaviour by Antony, including one incident which is reported to have required surgery.
As per ESPN Brasil, a police report was filed against the United star by his ex-partner Gabriela Cavallin on Monday, which listed a total of four different incidents beginning in July 2022.
The DJ and influencer alleged that the first instance of abuse happened after the pair broke up at a party, with Antony apparently pulling her by the arm and by her hair before pushing her into a car. Cavallin was also estimated to be about 17 weeks pregnant at the time, though this wasn’t cited in the incident report.
As the report goes on to detail, Cavallin sadly lost the child and while she does not attribute the miscarriage to the domestic violence, she claims that Antony continued to abuse her physically and emotionally up until as recently as May this year, having got back together with him for a time.
Other instances of abuse are said to include Cavallin being attacked in her own apartment in January (citing “reasons of jealousy”), which reportedly caused the displacement of her silicone implants and required surgery, as well as two more attacks — one of which was apparently witnessed by a friend and Antony’s mother.
The 22-year-old also mentioned that she was left with a cut on her finger by a glass broken by Antony — photos of the scar being attached to the police report — adding that he assaulted her again later that day and broke her phone “so she would not call for help”. She claims she only managed to leave five hours later after the Brazilian international’s physiotherapist took her to the doctor.
While an initial report by globo.com suggested that the fourth and final alleged attack took place on 20 May when Antony had already travelled with his club teammates for their game against Bournemouth, it has since been clarified that the abuse and threatening behaviour took place over the phone.
Cavallin claims Antony threatened her during a call on 20 May, warning that “if he saw her with someone, he would kill her”; she also noted several instances when the player had threatened to “kill himself” after they fought in the past.
She claims the two haven’t spoken since 28 May.
Brazilian police are now said to be investigating Cavallin’s claims after she presented photographs of multiple injuries supposedly sustained by the footballer and also requested “urgent protective measures” against him. There is no indication whether British authorities are currently involved.
The details of the case are yet to be fully verified and neither the player nor his club have issued a statement at this time.