John Atkinson, one of the 22 people killed in the Manchester Arena attack, could have survived if not for ‘inadequacies’ in the emergency service response, a report has found.
The report from the inquiry into the atrocity stated that it took an hour and 16 minutes before the 28-year-old care worker received the medical treatment he needed for his severe leg injuries.
In that time, a brave member of the public – Ronald Blake – used his wife’s belt as a makeshift tourniquet on John’s leg for almost an hour.
The harrowing report details how John, who was still conscious after the blast at an Ariana Grande concert, at one stage clung on to the advertising board that was used as a makeshift stretcher, which later buckled under his weight – something that ‘must have been very painful for him’.
He suffered multiple cardiac arrests and was declared dead at Manchester Royal Infirmary at 12.24am.
The long-awaited inquiry report from Sir John Saunders was published this afternoon and outlines in upsetting detail the things that ‘went badly wrong’ on that devastating night at the Manchester Arena on 22 May 2017, despite the heroic and brave efforts of those who attended the scene.
It says that there were communication failures between emergency services, such as Greater Manchester Police, North West Ambulance Service, British Transport Police and Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service, as well as a lack of preparedness for an emergency of this scale.
Sir John’s report states that 20 of the 22 victims suffered ‘unsurvivable’ injuries – one who stood a chance of survival was John Atkinson, the other was the attack’s youngest victim, Saffie-Rose Roussos.
It was noted that there was only a ‘remote possibility’ that the eight-year-old girl could have been saved. She drifted in and out of consciousness for 26 minutes after the bomb detonated.
But of John Atkinson, it said: “In the case of John Atkinson, his injuries were survivable. Had he received the treatment and care he should have, it is likely that he would have survived. It is likely that inadequacies in the emergency response prevented his survival.”
His family said: “It is now clear beyond any doubt that on the night of the bombing John was totally failed at every stage, both by the private medical providers at the arena – ETUK – and the emergency services. It is crystal clear that due to those failings, John died from injuries that he could and should have survived.”
Sir John praised the ‘heroic acts’ of those who tried to help victims of the arena attack.
He wrote: “These were members of the public who were in or around the Arena; people who worked at the Arena or in the Victoria Exchange Complex; and members of the emergency services who went into the City Room in the early stages.
“These people ignored the risks to their own safety to try to do what they could to help the dying and the injured.”
He but concluded that ‘a great deal went wrong’ in the emergency service response.
Only three paramedics entered the arena foyer, and no stretchers were taken from the waiting ambulances – instead, injured people were carried using boards, crowd barriers and tables. It was a ‘painful and unsafe way of moving the injured.’
Sir John concluded his Manchester Arena report with: “I believe that I have got to the truth of what happened on that dreadful night. I have certainly had assistance from many clever, hardworking and motivated people to do so. I am very grateful to them all.
“I also hope fervently that what comes out of this Inquiry will make a difference, and I ask all those concerned with what happens next to ensure that it does.”
Featured image: Family handout
Family of murdered Salah Adam Eldin, 21, pay tribute to ‘beautiful son and true hero’
The family of Salah Adam Eldin, a 21-year-old stabbed to death in Old Trafford last week, have paid a heartbreaking tribute to a ‘genuine and loving soul’.
Salah sadly died on Wednesday 31 May after he was found with serious injuries on Kings Road.
A murder investigation has been launched, and 19-year-old Demari Adrian Raymond Rose has been charged with murder and possession of a bladed article.
Salah’s family have described him as ‘the backbone of the family’ and described his respectful, kind and caring nature.
They wrote that support has poured in from across the globe, saying that ‘he was so much to so many people’.
In a tribute issued through GMP, his family said: “Salah was the backbone of the family and carried the family through anything and everything. He was our precious, beautiful son and a true hero.
“He was a supportive brother and precious son, a most genuine and loving soul with a big heart. He always found space in his heart to forgive all.
“He was always respectful and had kind words to say for all, everyone who met him wanted to be friends with him and was respected by all people of all ages.
“We are immensely proud of him. The continuous tributes from his friends, as far and wide as Africa, North America, The Middle East, Europe and from every corner of the world as well as here at home in England, his friends coming with heavy hearts and tears of deep sadness.
“Yes, our heart is filled with grief and pain, the reality that we will no longer hear his voice on the end of the phone. We grieve and wait for the day that we will one day all be reunited as a family together again and it will be forever.
“As a family we are able to support one another with the help of the wonderful friends and family that we have in the community and beyond. The support has been immeasurable, with everyone suffering the same pain and loss of Salah. He was so much to so many people. His short time in this world, he has his legacy of being a kind and caring young man and so loved. The amount of people who have reached out to support us, it is overwhelming and yet wonderful at the same time.
“As a mother, I have no words to describe the depth of my pain, grief and sorrow that I am going through, and I wish no mother must experience the layers of sadness and grief that I and Salah’s siblings and family are going through.
“Our lives have changed forever and we thank Greater Manchester Police for doing all they can to get justice and who have been very supportive, and we thank endless stream of friends and the community from the bottom of our hearts for their continuous love and support that they give us.”
Salah’s family have asked for continued privacy while they grieve for their loss.
Featured image: GMP
Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear diagnosed with dementia
Coronation Street legend Julie Goodyear, who famously played the iconic character Bet Lynch for over 25 years, has sadly been diagnosed with dementia.
Issuing a statement via ITV, her husband Scott Brand confirmed that they had been given the “heartbreaking diagnosis” this week.
Goodyear, 81, played the legendary Rovers Return pub landlord for over two decades across two different spells on the show, starting in 1966 before leaving the show for good in 1995.
Brand told the outlet on Wednesday: “Unfortunately, Julie has been suffering forgetfulness for some time and we have been seeking medical advice and assistance, but we now know that there is no hope of a reversal in the situation – and that her condition will get progressively, and perhaps speedily, worse.”
He went on to say that he and Goodyear “have taken the decision to publicly announce the diagnosis as Julie still loves visiting friends and eating out”, noting that she inevitably gets recognised “and fans love to meet her – and she them – but she can get confused particularly if she is tired” and adding they “hope people will understand.”
The Manc soap star and household name is from Heywood in Rochdale and retired from acting in 2003 after making her final special appearance on the Coronation Street spin-off, After Hours.