Police issue update after Sterling flies home from World Cup following home invasion Danny Jones
Surrey Police have issued an update following Raheem Sterling’s home invasion that has forced the England international to fly home from the 2022 World Cup.
The former Manchester City star was left out of the Three Lions squad against Senegal due to a “family matter” on Sunday before the exact circumstances were confirmed shortly after.
Authorities have now verified that hundreds of thousands of pounds of goods had been stolen from the property but that, fortunately, “no threat of violence was involved”.
Sterling flew just hours after hearing of the break-in at his home Leatherhead home where he lives with his fiancé and two children.
Manager Gareth Southgate could not confirm whether the Chelsea player will be returning to the squad, insisting that, obviously, “the priority is for him to be with his family” and that they will “give him as much time as he needs”.
The police force said in a statement: “We are currently investigating a report of a burglary at an address in Oxshott, Leatherhead.
“Police were contacted just before 9pm on Saturday, December 3rd after the occupants of the property came home and discovered a number of items including jewellery and watches had been stolen.
“Inquiries to establish the circumstances are underway and the investigation is ongoing. No threat of violence was involved as the items were discovered stolen retrospectively. Inquiries into the circumstances are ongoing.”
- Grealish holds his hands up over Miguel Almirón dig: ‘I do stupid stuff’
- Raheem Sterling Foundation becomes Patron and donor of HideOut Youth Zone in Gorton
- An MP took the mick out of Harry Maguire in Ghanaian parliament and we can’t get over it
We wish Sterling and his family all the best during this troubling time and are relieved to hear that no one was hurt during the armed robbery.
As for whether he returns to Qatar, we only hope to see him back in the side if and when he’s ready.
For all the latest news, events and goings on in Greater Manchester, subscribe to The Manc newsletter HERE.
Featured Image — Raheem Sterling (via Instagram)
Man arrested on suspicion of rape and robbery after entering woman’s apartment through the window Daisy Jackson
A man has been arrested on suspicion of rape and robbery after a horrific incident in Hulme.
GMP has been investigating since a man broke into a woman’s apartment through a window at around 5am on Thursday 29 November.
He threatened her at knifepoint before raping her.
In a short update, GMP said: “A man has been arrested on suspicion of rape and robbery. He remains in custody for questioning.”
The man entered the victim’s home on Wilmott Street, on the outskirts of the city centre, through an ‘insecure window’.
Detective Superintendent David Meeney, of GMP’s City of Manchester district said last week: “We are following several lines of enquiry and will have extra patrols in the area over the next few days.
“Offences of this nature are very rare, and this is being treated as an isolated incident. There are detectives working around the clock to identify the male responsible and the victim is receiving specialist support.
“We are urging people in the area to be vigilant and to make sure their doors and windows are secure, especially during the late evening and through the night.
“If anyone has any information regarding this incident, or if they see any suspicious activity in the area, please report this to officers in person or by calling 101 quoting 726 of 29/11/22. If it is an emergency, always dial 999.”
GMP also issued the following advice:
If you or someone you know has been raped or sexually assaulted, we encourage you not to suffer in silence and report it to the police, or a support agency so you can get the help and support available.
- Saint Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre, Manchester provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated response to men, women and children who live or have been sexually assaulted within Greater Manchester. They offer forensic medical examinations, practical and emotional support as well as a counselling service for all ages. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and can be accessed by calling 0161 276 6515.
- Greater Manchester Rape Crisis is a confidential information, support and counselling service run by women for women over 18 who have been raped or sexually abused at any time in their lives. Call on 0161 273 4500 or email [email protected]
- Survivors Manchester provides specialist trauma informed support to male victims in Greater Manchester who have experienced sexual abuse, rape or sexual exploitation. Call 0161 236 2182.
Featured image: Google Maps