A new campaign video aimed at reducing youth violence has been released and is to be shown at schools and colleges throughout Greater Manchester.
Following three tragic fatal stabbings of young people from the city-region recent weeks, Greater Manchester’s Violence Reduction Unit (VRU) – which is working with the Combined Authority (GMCA) on the campaign – has launched a new video as part of its ongoing work to reduce violence.
The short video is aimed at young people, parents and teachers, and is one of a number of measures in place to prevent further tragic incidents.
It shares the clear message that “speaking out could save a life”, GMCA says.
A youth worker, teacher, young person, and community worker who has turned his life around after being involved in violence all feature and shares their stories in the 90-second video that has been shared on social media, and sent to schools, colleges, and Pupil Referral Units (PRUs) in Greater Manchester.
ADVERTISEMENT
We are shocked & saddened that three young people have been fatally stabbed in Greater Manchester in recent weeks. Our deepest sympathies are with their families, friends and local communities. There is no place for violence in our city-region. #speakingoutcouldsavealife. pic.twitter.com/VnJ40zCfD9
— Greater Manchester Violence Reduction Unit (@GM_VRU) February 7, 2022
“My thoughts are with the families and friends of the three young people tragically killed in recent weeks and all communities affected by violence and knife crime,” said Bev Hughes, Deputy Mayor of Greater Manchester for Policing, Crime, Criminal Justice and Fire.
“There is no place for violence in our city-region.
ADVERTISEMENT
“We are committed to strong police enforcement to address violent crime and to trying to prevent it from happening in this first place, but this requires partners to continue to work together with young people and communities to create long-term change [and] as these recent events have all too sadly demonstrated, there is much work to be done to end serious violence and we will not stop in our efforts to do that.
“We need everyone’s help to end violence amongst young people [so] if you see anything that doesn’t feel right involving your child, a family member or a friend please speak out.”
This new campaign video comes after the VRU launched a project last year that sees highly skilled youth workers based in A&E departments across several busy hospitals.
ADVERTISEMENT
The ‘navigators’ respond to young people and their families when coming into hospital with injuries that result from violence, referring them on to ongoing outreach and support – such as sports clubs, or mentoring – and the programme has recently been expanded to accept referrals from the community and via North West Ambulance Service.
260 young people from across the region have been referred to the navigators to date.
There are 12 knife amnesty bins across Greater Manchester / Credit: GMP
“GMP is working with partner agencies on several initiatives to keep people safe from these weapons which, in the hands of criminals, are stealing lives, devastating families and posing threat, harm and risk to our communities,” added Detective Superintendent Chris Downey – GMP’s knife crime lead.
“I would also like to reach out to the young people within our communities and ask them to report or share any concerns regarding themselves or friends that are involved in a dispute, violence or carrying a knife.
“It’s not right to stand by and do nothing.
ADVERTISEMENT
“This is not about getting friends in trouble – in the vast majority of instances our involvement is about keeping people safe and understanding why someone feels the need to carry a weapon.
“Neither GMP nor the justice system will tolerate this type of crime, we are proactively stopping and searching individuals and I would remind offenders that carrying a knife can result in a prison sentence and life-long criminal record.”
Featured Image – GMP
News
UK set to be battered by storms as ‘unprecedented’ El Niño arrives this autumn
Emily Sergeant
The UK is being told to brace for a series of storms this autumn when the ‘unprecedented’ El Niño weather event arrives.
It’s already been a summer of extremes for the country, with multiple heatwaves over the past couple of months, but now it appears that autumn and winter are set to have some extremes of their own, as the Met Office is warning that this upcoming El Niño could be one of the most significant in recent memory.
El Niño is declared when sea temperatures in the tropical eastern Pacific rise 0.5°C above the long-term average, which therefore impacts global rainfall patterns and average temperatures.
The natural warming of sea temperatures is forecast to reach more than 3°C in the coming months, according to the Met Office, making this year’s weather event have the potential to be ‘the largest since the 19th century’.
The UK is set to be battered by storms as ‘unprecedented’ El Niño arrives this autumn / Credit: Johannes Plenio (via Unsplash)
El Niño will create a heightened risk of drought in the tropics, southern Africa, and north eastern Australia, but over in north western Europe – including the UK – it means we are likely to experience wetter and stormier conditions.
The UK, and of course Greater Manchester, is absolutely no stranger to a storm around this time of year, but forecasters say this could be an entirely different beast.
“We should be clear that this is an unprecedented event,” warned Professor Adam Scaife, who is the Head of Long Range Forecasting at the Met Office.
“I have never seen an El Nino signal this intense in our forecasts.”
Professor Scaife concluded: “A typical El Nino leads to an equatorial Pacific sea-surface temperature rise of between one to 2°C, with 2°C being a really big event. This implies that, if the forecast is accurate, and other forecast systems show similar extreme values, then 2026 will far exceed our recent experience of El Niño and its worldwide climate influences.’
Forecasters and officials, however, have warned that it could take months of sustained rainfall before rivers, reservoirs, and groundwaters are ‘completely replenished’ – which is when a drought can officially be declared as over.
It also warned drought conditions could persist into the new year as, despite El Niño, as current forecasts do not suggest this autumn will have the amount of rainfall needed to drive recovery.
Featured Image – Wikimedia Commons
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”