Extra time has been given to police to continue questioning the four people arrested over the terror attack at a synagogue in Crumpsall.
The shocking knife and car attack, which took place last Thursday 2 October on Yom Kippur, the holiest day in the Jewish calendar at the the Heaton Park Hebrew Congregation Synagogue, saw two men sadly lose their lives – Adrian Daulby, 53, who is believed to have been shot dead by police while trying to stop the attacker from entering the synagogue, and Melvin Cravitz, 66, a worshipper who also helped stop the attacker.
The attacker has been named as 35-year-old Jihad al Shamie – a 35-year-old British citizen of Syrian descent who lived in Prestwich – who at the time was on bail for an alleged rape, before being shot by police.
Three other men also still remain in hospital at this time.
#UPDATE | Latest statement from Counter Terrorism Policing following the terrorist attack in Crumpsall as our investigation continues.
We would continue to ask that anybody with information please share that with us directly.
The ongoing investigation is being led by Counter Terrorism Policing North West (CTPNW), supported by resources from across the national Counter Terrorism Policing (CTP) network and Greater Manchester Police (GMP).
ADVERTISEMENT
Police say ‘significant resources’ from across CTP have been ‘mobilised’ in order to establish the full picture into what happened.
This past Friday, the head of counter-terrorism policing, Laurence Taylor, gave an update on the investigation declaring that a ‘suspicious device’ attached to al Shamie’s torso was fake, and that police believed he ‘may have been influenced by extreme Islamist ideology’.
ADVERTISEMENT
With the investigation said to be ‘continuing at pace’, GMP has now been given extra time to question four individuals currently in police custody.
The warrants relate to – which relate to two men, aged 30 and 32, and two women, aged 46 and 61 – have ben extended after their arrests on suspicion of commission, preparation, and instigation of acts of terrorism.
This means they can remain in custody for up to a further five days from the point that warrant was granted (Saturday 4 October).
ADVERTISEMENT
“We understand there is significant public interest in this case, and appreciate many who may have known or had previous contact with Jihad Al-Shamie will be coming to terms with the fact this horrifying attack has been perpetrated by somebody they recognise,” GMP said in a statement.
Appealing to the public, the police continued: “We would also ask people to refrain from speculation or sharing unverified information as that could potentially cause unnecessary delays in our enquiries and additional upset for all those impacted by these horrific events.
Read more:
If you have information, then please contact police via the Major Incident Public Portal which is available online here.
Featured Image – GMP
Crime
Man jailed for 10 years after raping ‘extremely vulnerable’ woman in Manchester city centre
Emily Sergeant
A man has been jailed after being found guilty of raping an ‘extremely vulnerable’ woman multiple times in Manchester city centre.
Benjamin Wilson, of Norwood Avenue in Chesterfield, was sentenced to over 10 years in prison after being found guilty of offences committed in Manchester city centre back in June 2022, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed.
The victim – who was described as being ‘extremely vulnerable and intoxicated’ – plucked up the courage to go on a night out with friends in Manchester, however she became separated from them and was later subjected to a serious sexual assault, which was linked to a suspected drink spiking.
During the evening, the victim – whose identity has been withheld – and her friend believed their drinks had been tampered with, and she later found herself alone, heavily intoxicated, and extremely vulnerable, before she came into contact with Wilson near a takeaway.
Wilson took advantage of the situation, guiding her into a taxi before repeatedly raping her at a flat in Manchester.
The following morning, he dropped her near the hotel where she had been due to stay with her friend, and she proceeded to report the incident to police shortly afterwards.
A man has been jailed for 10 years after raping an ‘extremely vulnerable’ woman in Manchester city centre / Credit: GMP
From the outset, investigators said they faced ‘significant challenges’ – including limited early forensic opportunities and issues securing CCTV footage, all while needing to prioritise the victim’s wellbeing.
Hundreds of hours of work went into analysing witness accounts, financial and phone data, intelligence checks, and overcoming cross-force barriers leading to Wilson’s arrest in Derbyshire.
“The case was ultimately built through meticulous investigation, persistence, and, crucially, the strength and courage of the victim’s testimony,” GMP said.
Speaking following Wilson’s sentencing this week, DC Phillip Sargeant, of GMP’s Longsight CID, commented: “I am awestruck not only by the courage of the victim in coming forward, but also by her patience and resilience in waiting for justice.
“The impact on her, her family and her support network has been profound.
“I hope today’s sentence provides some measure of closure and enables them to move on from this traumatic experience.”
Featured Image – GMP
Crime
Man charged after ‘serious assault’ of police officers in Manchester city centre
Emily Sergeant
A man has been charged after several police officers were seriously assaulted in Manchester city centre earlier this week.
At around 4:55pm on Tuesday 12 May, officers from Greater Manchester Police‘s (GMP) city centre policing team were patrolling in the Denmark Road area of central Manchester when a man spat at a marked police vehicle as it drove past.
Officers stopped to speak with the man, but he then produced a knife and proceeded to attack them.
During the distressing incident, one officer was slashed in the face and neck and sustained serious injuries in the process, while two other officers were also assaulted and suffered minor injuries.
The offender – who GMP has now formally named as 40-year-old Dwayne Roxbrough – was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency worker, possession of a bladed article, and possession of Class B drugs, and at this time, he remains in custody for questioning.
A man has been charged after police officers were ‘seriously assaulted’ in Manchester city centre/ Credit: GMP
It has now been confirmed that Roxbrough has been charged with Section 18 wounding, two counts of possession of a knife in a public place, possession of a controlled Class B drug, Section 47 assault, and the assault of an emergency worker.
He is due to appear at Manchester and Salford Magistrates Court today (Thursday 14 May).
“Our officers put themselves in harm’s way every day to protect the public and this was a violent and potentially life-threatening attack,” commented Detective Superintendent Ian McNabb, from GMP’s City of Manchester district.