Criminals and the Liverpool community are being urged to “examine their consciences” and give up the gunman who killed a nine-year-old girl.
Merseyside Police confirmed that the girl – who has officially been named as Olivia Pratt-Korbel – died on Monday night when a 35-year-old man, who was unknown to the family, ran into her home on Kingsheath Avenue, in the Notty Ash area, as he tried to get away from a gunman.
Her mother Cheryl Korbel, 46, was also shot in the wrist as she tried to close the door on the gunman while Olivia stood behind her.
Olivia suffered a gunshot injury to the chest and was taken to Alder Hey Children’s Hospital in a critical condition, where she later sadly died.
In a news conference delivered yesterday, Detective Chief Superintendent Mark Kameen explained that Olivia had been at home with her two older siblings and mother when Ms Korbel opened the door after hearing gunshots fired outside.
DCS Kameen said a figure – who was wearing a black padded jacket, a black balaclava with a peak, dark trousers and black gloves – fired shots at two men walking along Kingsheath Avenue, which prompted them them to run away, and one of the men ran towards the open door of Olivia’s home and forced his way in.
The gunman also suffered gunshot wounds to his upper body, before he was picked up and taken to hospital by friends driving a car has since been seized by police.
Chief Constable Serena Kennedy has called Olivia’s death an “absolute tragedy” in a plea urging the criminals to come forward.
She said: “I know that the murder of Olivia has rocked our communities, who are quite rightly upset and outraged that such an abhorrent crime has occurred here on the streets of Merseyside… [but] the people of Liverpool and Merseyside are known for their compassion and pulling together in times of crisis, and I know that in our communities, people are wanting to help the family in any way possible.”
“This is not the time for anyone who knows who’s responsible for this shooting to remain tight-lipped,” she added.
“It is time for our communities to come together with us and make Merseyside a place where the use of guns on our streets is totally unacceptable, and those who use them are held to account.”
Merseyside Police is appealing to “members of the criminal fraternity” and is asking them to “examine their consciences” to give up the gunman and come forward with any “vital information that can help” in their ongoing investigation.
“The killing of a nine-year-old child is an absolute tragedy and crosses every single boundary, and I would urge them to do the right thing, so we can put this person behind bars,” Chief Constable Kennedy concluded.
Anyone with information is asked to DM @MerPolCC or call Crimestoppers UK on 0800 555 111 quoting log 1083 of 22 August.
Featured Image – Supplied
Police arrest four men and shut down ‘incredibly dangerous’ cannabis farm in Salford
Police have shut down a suspected cannabis farm in Salford today, arresting four men.
Officers swooped on the property on Arthur Street in Swinton after finding evidence that the house was being used to grow cannabis plants.
The farm has been described as ‘incredibly dangerous’ to other occupants in the area.
Three rooms in the house were full of plants growing, with a huge amount of wiring surrounding them that posed a fire hazard.
The four men detained by Greater Manchester Police (GMP) Salford Neighbourhood Team were subsequently arrested on suspicion of involvement in the production and supply of cannabis and remain in police custody for questioning.
Sergeant Peter MacFarlane said: “Locating a cannabis farm is a great result for the team who are gathering intelligence and working hard to crackdown on drug-related crime across Salford.
“Farms of this nature are also incredibly dangerous to other occupants in the area. The building itself is still being made safe due to the amount of wiring around the plants. Criminals running these types of enterprises have no regard for public safety and in these conditions, an electrical fault from bad wiring could easily start a fire and endanger lives.
“The arrests and seizures then go someway towards disrupting the supply of illegal drugs and the criminality that comes with it, and will also make our communities safer.
“This operation was intelligence led and a huge part of our intelligence comes from members of the public sharing information with us. If you have suspicions about a crime taking place please report it so we can take positive action and bring those responsible to justice.”
You can make a report by calling 101 or 999 in an emergency. You can also report via the LiveChat function on GMP’s website: www.gmp.police.uk
Alternatively you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured image: GMP
‘Groundbreaking’ new app to help get homeless people into work launches in Manchester
Homeless families across Manchester are set to benefit from a “groundbreaking” new service that gives them access to employment support.
With the ultimate aim of helping homeless people move out of temporary accommodation and into their own homes, Manchester City Council has announced a new pilot partnership with Beam – a social enterprise that fundraises on behalf of homeless people and connects them with a supportive online community.
Through Beam’s “innovative” app-based platform, homeless people can raise money for items that often end up being financial obstacles to them moving into a permanent home, whether than be funding equipment or training to help them secure stable and financially-viable employment, or towards a rental deposit, moving van, or other homeware essentials, and everything in between.
Donations come from people in the local community, and are shared out equally between participants, so that everyone reaches their fundraising target within an average of 17 days.
Having helped more than 1,300 homeless people “achieve their goals” since being founded in 2017, Beam isn’t just about funding, as it also has a team of caseworkers who provide one-to-one help with employment to those in need.
The caseworkers also lend a hand with searching for properties online, communicating with landlords, and booking house viewings, while Beam also works with a network of vetted landlords to help people find a home
The initiative also provides further support for at least six months after moving.
Over the next year, Manchester City Council says its pilot partnership with Beam will initially support 25 families who are living in temporary accommodation in the region, and move them into their own private rental homes.
Residents can be referred to the scheme by the Council’s housing teams, as well as other local services, and each person is assigned a caseworker from Beam, who then supports them on their journey into stable housing.
“No one chooses homelessness voluntarily,” admitted Councillor Joanna Midgley, Deputy Leader of Manchester City Council.
“And when it happens, it can be devastating, which is why we are looking at a range of solutions to help people secure affordable and decent homes in Manchester.
“Our new partnership with Beam is an innovative approach to improve people’s life chances, supporting them, where possible, into sustainable jobs allowing them to move out of temporary accommodation and into their own homes.