The public is being called on to help find a missing 70-year-old former postman from Stockport, who was well-known within the local community.
Steven Caulfield was last seen in the vicinity of the golf course next to Middlewood Way, in the Marple area of Stockport, at around 4pm last Tuesday (1 October), according to Greater Manchester Police (GMP) – with the ongoing search for him now well into its second week.
CCTV images released to the public this week show that Steven was wearing a distinctive blue parka-style coat with a fur hood at the time of his disappearance, along with a baseball cap, black jeans, a black v-neck jumper, and some white trainers.
Since Steven was reported missing last Tuesday, GMP officers – including detectives, and specialist resources – have been conducting enquiries in the local area thorough searches, but unfortunately, he has sadly still not been located at this time – which has prompted the need to appeal to the public for information and assistance.
#MISSING | The search remains ongoing for 70-year-old Steven Caulfield from Stockport who has been missing since last Tuesday (1 October 2024).
Stephen was captured on CCTV on Gorse Avenue in Marple on Tuesday 1 October, at around 2:55pm.
Police are continuing to support Steven’s family at this difficult time, GMP has confirmed.
ADVERTISEMENT
Appealing to the Greater Manchester public for information on Steven’s whereabouts, Detective Chief Inspector Ian Wrench, from GMP’s Stockport District, said: “We have been doing everything we possibly can to locate Steven, who was well known within the community as a postman prior to his retirement.
“We have been conducting thorough searches of the areas he was last seen, as well as areas that he is known to frequent using resources from our Specialist Operations Branch, and we are also liasing with our colleagues in Cheshire and Derbyshire Police to share our appeals and to alert the public in those areas who may possibly have seen him.”
ADVERTISEMENT
A CCTV image of missing Stockport man, Steven Caulfield / Credit: GMP
DCI Wrench says he would like to thank the public for their assistance in sharing the police appeals so far, and for getting in touch with possible sightings and information, but more needs to be done.
“Please do continue to share any information with us, no matter how small you think it is,” he added. “If you believe you have seen or know where Steven is, your assistance could be hugely beneficial.”
Anyone with any information regarding Steven’s whereabouts is asked to contact GMP on 0161 856 9675 or 101, or by using the report tool and LiveChat function on the force’s website here, quoting MSP/06JJ/0002272/24.
ADVERTISEMENT
Alternatively, you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
News
Tribute paid to man ‘loved by so many’ stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Daisy Jackson
The brother of a man stabbed to death in Levenshulme has paid a heartbreaking tribute to him.
Zherko Rasul Osman was just 24 years old when he was fatally wounded in an incident on Chapel Street on Saturday evening.
Despite the best efforts of emergency services personnel, Zherko sadly died at the scene.
Now, his brother has paid tribute to him, saying he was ‘someone who was loved by so many’.
The touching tribute reads: “My brother was a kind, friendly and loving person who never looked for trouble or wanted to harm anyone.
“He was loved and respected by his friends, his mates and the neighbours in the community where he lived. He had a good heart and would always be remembered for the warmth and happiness he brought to those around him.
“His life was taken so suddenly and for no reason, leaving a pain and emptiness that words cannot describe. We are heartbroken that someone who was loved by so many is no longer here. He deserved to live his life and make memories with the people he loved.
“He will never be forgotten. His smile, his kindness and the memories we shared with him will stay in our hearts forever. We love you, and we will miss you every single day.”
Zherko Rasul Osman suffered serious stab wounds on Chapel Street in Levenshulme at around 7.06pm on Saturday 15 August.
A 23-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning. A 27-year-old man who had also been arrested on suspicion of murder remains on bail pending further enquiries.
Officers continue to make progress as the investigation continues. It is believed this was an isolated incident with no wider threat to the public.
Police are urging anyone who may have information to please report it through the dedicated online portal HERE.
Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell or dashcam footage can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Government launches £442m drive to get rough sleepers off streets before Christmas
Emily Sergeant
Prime Minister Andy Burnham has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas.
Learning from ‘innovative’ approaches put into place during the pandemic, the Government has announced that new accommodation will be rolled out across England this winter, as well as offering practical help with housing, health, and other needs to support people to build a more stable life for themselves in the future.
The new commitment to offer everyone a route off the streets this Christmas, along with boosted funding, reflect the Andy Burnham‘s national drive to make ‘real change’ and get everyone playing their part in ending rough sleeping.
Not only will these plans change the lives of rough sleepers, but it’s also said they will have huge benefits for the country as a whole.
Research from homelessness charity Crisis suggests that by preventing 40,000 people from becoming homeless for a year, taxpayers could save around £370 million.
The Government has launched a £442m drive to get rough sleepers off the streets before Christmas / Credit: Number 10 Press Office | Jon Tyson (via Unsplash)
As well provisions to get people off the streets, and the intensive ‘wraparound’ support, the newly allocated funding will also help local areas deliver more than 1,000 ‘settled’ homes over the next three years, it has been confirmed.
Areas facing the greatest pressures will receive the largest share of support.
Working alongside councils, Mayors will play a leading role in driving local action to end rough sleeping, and will be tasked with making decisions that are right for their communities to deliver help where it’s needed most.
The Prime Minister says he ‘won’t accept’ rough sleeping any longer. He commented: “No one should have to bed down in a doorway or outside a station, but we’ve seen it for so long that it feels like Westminster has started to accept it.
“That’s why my first instruction as Prime Minister was to end rough sleeping, and it’s why today we’re getting started with a national drive to get everyone in for Christmas. We did it in the pandemic, we can do it again. But it needs all of us.