The Prime Minister is expected to outline his plans to Parliament for the reopening of pubs, restaurants, hotels and hairdressers next month.
Boris Johnson will discuss England’s approach to the changes with the COVID-19 Strategy Committee today.
The PM will give an update on the next stage of easing lockdown guidelines in Parliament on Tuesday and is also widely expected to reveal the outcome of a review to the two-metre social distancing rule.
In line with the government’s roadmap for lifting the lockdown, 4th July marks the start of “phase three”.
This phase is expected to give some businesses in the hospitality and leisure sectors the green light to reopen to the public and Health Secretary Matt Hancock has previously stated that England is “clearly on track” to further ease these lockdown restrictions.
ADVERTISEMENT
A spokesperson for No. 10 also said: “The reason we are able to move forward this week is because the vast majority of people have taken steps to contain the virus.”
“The more we open up, the more important it is that everyone follows the social distancing rules.”
ADVERTISEMENT
“We will not hesitate to put the handbrake on to stop the virus running out of control.”
Wikimedia Commons
Speaking to Sophy Ridge On Sunday, Matt Hancock stated that the next phase could include pubs and restaurants reopening, as well as people being able to get haircuts again.
He said: “We’re clearly on track for that plan because of the number of cases coming down and the plan does refer to hospitality and some of the other things that are closed that so many people want to see open”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Government ministers are now believed to be looking at a number of measures to ensure reopening is “safe”.
When it comes to the two-metre social distancing rule, Security Minister, James Brokenshire indicated that a reduction in the two-metre social distancing rule could also be combined with other measures being introduced for some settings, such as face coverings or separating barriers.
Speaking to Sky News, Mr Brokenshire said: “I understand that real urgency, that desire, whether it’s for haircuts, whether it’s to go out and get a meal to be able to socialise”.
“It’s just that clarity on doing that in a way that does not impact or risk further issues around public health and, obviously, the second spike that we are determined to avoid, so there is a lot that will be brought together in terms of all of those different elements.”
He also indicated that the government would informed in making this decision by by scientific evidence and also “experience [from] around the world”.
ADVERTISEMENT
For further guidance, support and information amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, refer to official sources at gov.uk/coronavirus here.
___
According to the latest figures released by the Department of Health and Social Care, a total of 42,632 people have sadly died after testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).
As of 9am 21 June, there have been 7,890,145 tests, with 175,018 tests on 20 June.
304,331 people have tested positive.
As of 5pm on 20 June, of those tested positive for coronavirus, across all settings, 42,632 have sadly died.
— Department of Health and Social Care (@DHSCgovuk) June 21, 2020
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.
Poignant plans to mark ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack announced
Emily Sergeant
Manchester City Council has announced its plans to mark the ninth anniversary of the Manchester Arena attack.
This Friday 22 May 2026, it will be exactly eight years since a terror attack saw 22 people tragically lose their lives, and left thousands more injured and affected, during a bombing at the end of an Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena back in 2017.
Every year, the city of Manchester comes together and joins the rest of the world in marking the day and remembering those who went to a concert and never returned home.
As has been the case for the past few years since it opened to the public, the focal point for this year’s personal remembrance and reflection will be the permanent Glade of Light memorial, near Manchester Cathedral.
The new Lord Mayor of Manchester, Cllr Shaukat Ali,, Manchester City Council Leader, Cllr Bev Craig, and Council Chief Executive, Tom Stannard, will each lay floral tributes at the memorial on behalf of the people of the city in memory of those who lost their lives.
The names of those who sadly died will also be read out on 22 May during services at Manchester Cathedral – firstly at 9am (Morning Prayers), then at 1:10pm (Holy Communion), and finally at 5:30pm (Choral Evensong).
The Cathedral will also be open throughout the day for those who wish to light a candle or pray.
Poignant plans to mark the ninth anniversary of Manchester Arena attack have been announced / Credit: The Manc Group | David Dixon (via Geograph)
Two one-minute silences will take place at Manchester Victoria station during the day too – one at 12 noon, and then one at and 10:31pm, which is the exact anniversary of the attack.
“Manchester will never forget those who lost their lives in the 22 May 2017 terror attack, nor the many others who were injured or otherwise affected,” Cllr Bev Craig said ahead of the plans to formally mark the anniversary this Friday.
“Time passes but we will not allow their memories to fade.
“On the ninth anniversary of that terrible day, we also remember the remarkable solidarity shown by the city in refusing to give in to hatred, and the resilience and courage shown by the loved ones of those who were killed and by survivors.”