The Prime Minister is expected to outline his plans to Parliament for the reopening of pubs, restaurants, hotels and hairdressers next month.
Boris Johnson will discuss England’s approach to the changes with the COVID-19 Strategy Committee today.
The PM will give an update on the next stage of easing lockdown guidelines in Parliament on Tuesday and is also widely expected to reveal the outcome of a review to the two-metre social distancing rule.
In line with the government’s roadmap for lifting the lockdown, 4th July marks the start of “phase three”.
This phase is expected to give some businesses in the hospitality and leisure sectors the green light to reopen to the public and Health Secretary Matt Hancock has previously stated that England is “clearly on track” to further ease these lockdown restrictions.
ADVERTISEMENT
A spokesperson for No. 10 also said: “The reason we are able to move forward this week is because the vast majority of people have taken steps to contain the virus.”
“The more we open up, the more important it is that everyone follows the social distancing rules.”
ADVERTISEMENT
“We will not hesitate to put the handbrake on to stop the virus running out of control.”
Wikimedia Commons
Speaking to Sophy Ridge On Sunday, Matt Hancock stated that the next phase could include pubs and restaurants reopening, as well as people being able to get haircuts again.
He said: “We’re clearly on track for that plan because of the number of cases coming down and the plan does refer to hospitality and some of the other things that are closed that so many people want to see open”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Government ministers are now believed to be looking at a number of measures to ensure reopening is “safe”.
When it comes to the two-metre social distancing rule, Security Minister, James Brokenshire indicated that a reduction in the two-metre social distancing rule could also be combined with other measures being introduced for some settings, such as face coverings or separating barriers.
Speaking to Sky News, Mr Brokenshire said: “I understand that real urgency, that desire, whether it’s for haircuts, whether it’s to go out and get a meal to be able to socialise”.
“It’s just that clarity on doing that in a way that does not impact or risk further issues around public health and, obviously, the second spike that we are determined to avoid, so there is a lot that will be brought together in terms of all of those different elements.”
He also indicated that the government would informed in making this decision by by scientific evidence and also “experience [from] around the world”.
ADVERTISEMENT
For further guidance, support and information amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, refer to official sources at gov.uk/coronavirus here.
___
According to the latest figures released by the Department of Health and Social Care, a total of 42,632 people have sadly died after testing positive for coronavirus (COVID-19).
As of 9am 21 June, there have been 7,890,145 tests, with 175,018 tests on 20 June.
304,331 people have tested positive.
As of 5pm on 20 June, of those tested positive for coronavirus, across all settings, 42,632 have sadly died.
— Department of Health and Social Care (@DHSCgovuk) June 21, 2020
News
Manchester Airport to launch 12 more new routes across the world this summer
Emily Sergeant
Mancs will soon get the chance to travel to even more of the most beautiful and underrated places on Earth for the first time.
You may remember that back at the start of the year, Manchester Airport announced seven new ‘exciting’ flight routes to destinations across the world, and now with summer right around the corner and the decade-long £1.3 billion transformation of Terminal 2 pretty much complete, a dozen extra locations have been added to the list.
Already described as being ‘the UK’s global gateway in the North’, Manchester Airport offers a route network that’s unparalleled outside London, with more than 200 destinations served by 50 airlines – but that network is set to widen once again.
A coastal resort in Italy, an architectural gem in Greece, and the largest city in the north of Pakistan are among the cities that will gain new direct flights this summer.
Manchester Airport is launching 12 more new routes across the world this summer / Credit: Reisetopia, Malik-Tayyab & Makis-Hristaras (via Unsplash)
Two major global cities will be added to the airport’s long-haul route network this summer, with Algiers and Lahore set to gain direct flights.
The service to Algeria’s capital will be operated by national airline Air Algerie from 14 June, with prices from £263.43pp return, while Pakistan International Airlines will build upon the successful launch of its Islamabad service by adding Lahore as its second destination from Manchester from 3 July, with fares from £881.23pp return.
Other destinations on the list include easyJet’s new service to Bari in southern Italy, launching on 3 July, Preveza, an airport in mainland Greece that serves as the access point for the picturesque island of Lefkada, starting on 24 June, and Ryanair’s new services to Castellon in eastern Spain and Rimini, a city on Italy’s Adriatic coast, both starting on 1 and 3 June, respectively.
A coastal resort in Italy and an architectural gem in Greece are some of the new destinations / Credit: Alain Rouiller & Jonny Africa (via Unsplash)
A handful of Jet2 services to new locations for the airline have already taken flight over the past couple of months, including La Palma, Palermo, and Pula in Croatia.
“We know people are just as keen as ever to enjoy a holiday abroad this summer, and while places like Mallorca, Alicante and Faro are always in demand, we know many travellers want to explore somewhere new, even if they’re travelling to a country that they’ve visited many times before,” commented Stephen Turner, who is the Chief Commercial Officer at Manchester Airport.
“That’s why we’re so excited to see a dozen new routes coming on board this summer, several of which will connect Manchester to destinations unserved by any other northern airport.
“We’re sure these destinations will prove popular with passengers, and we’re grateful to our airlines for their ongoing commitment to offer passengers flying from Manchester unrivalled choice.”
Featured Image – Ivan Shimko (via Unsplash)
News
Manchester United and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE
Danny Jones
Man United Women and Lionesses star Ella Toone is now officially an MBE after collecting the award this week.
The Greater Mancunian has grown to become one of the most influential female players of the modern era, and now her impact has been immortalised by the monarchy.
Being recognised for services to the discipline on Tuesday, 19 May, the local athlete finally collected her accolade at Windsor Castle.
Presented to her by Prince William, the Tyldesley-born attacker said in a statement: “It’s been amazing. It’s a bit of a pinch-me moment to be here and be honoured with an MBE.
“I never thought when I started out playing football I’d now be called Ella Toone MBE, so it’s a bit crazy.”
Having suffered a tough time out with injury, the 26-year-old also insists she is now back feeling “better and stronger than ever.”
With Sarina Wiegman’s official squad selection for the qualifiers ahead of FIFA’s 2027 Women’s World Cup in Brazil, she’s also looking forward to reuniting with her England teammates.
Here she is talking to Sky ahead of the games, not long after receiving the award:
"I've missed it so much, can't wait to be back with the girls" 🏴
Ella Toone is looking forward to meeting up with her England teammates next month for World Cup qualifiers against Spain and Ukraine. pic.twitter.com/K02nJbSkE0
Speaking back in December, she confessed that it’s all been “a bit mad” for her ever since she learned of the news, but her worthiness speaks for itself.
Winning not only back-to-back Euros titles with the national side, along with the first-ever UEFA Women’s Finalissima trophy in 2023, but also inspiring young kids dreaming of becoming footballers across the country and beyond.
Congratulations once again, ‘Tooney’ – beyond well-deserved.
Across the city, it’s great to see yet more groundbreaking investment in the women’s game being made for generations to come.