This week marks a decade since hundreds were arrested in Greater Manchester after "unprecedented levels of violence and criminality" swept the region in summer 2011.
On the morning of 10 August 2011 – when the sirens had switched off, the flames had fizzled out, and the roars had been silenced – hundreds of Mancunians quietly got to work on repairing their shattered city.
Families, students and businesspeople arrived en masse to strap on gloves, grasp brooms and pick up paintbrushes, working together to shovel broken glass out of streets and reattach the frames to shop doorways.
The day before, Manchester and Salford had been swept up in the violence consuming England following the death of Mark Duggan – a 29-year-old who had been shot dead by police earlier in the summer of 2011.
A protest in Tottenham Hale had led to clashes with law enforcement, and the next few days saw trouble spread from the capital into other cities across the country.
Ten years after the 2011 riots, @MENnewsdesk mentions an @OfficialUoM study which found nearly a third of those punished afterwards came from the most deprived areas of Greater Manchester – with not a single person from the richest areas https://t.co/HCiVr75Hf8
— The University of Manchester News (@UoMNews) August 9, 2021
The first pockets of local violence erupted in Salford Shopping Centre on the afternoon of August 9. Supermarket Lidl was the first target, before looters proceeded to break into a Bargain Booze and The Money Shop.
ADVERTISEMENT
Police were pelted with missiles and journalists covering the story were even caught up in the melee; a BBC radio car battered with bricks before being set alight.
Within hours, Manchester city centre’s shops were also under attack – with officers overwhelmed by “unprecedented levels of violence and criminality”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mobs broke into Manchester’s Arndale Centre and groups stormed shops like Footasylum, Bang & Olufsen and Swarovski in St Ann’s Square.
Miss Selfridge on Market Street was also engulfed in flames as the outnumbered police desperately battled the masked-up mobs rampaging through the city streets.
The Guardian said it turned into “a tale of two riots” – with Greater Manchester Police’s then-chief constable Peter Fahy suggesting the respective culprits in Salford and Manchester had responded in different ways.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Certainly most of [the rioting] in Manchester was about getting goods, breaking into places and stealing things,” Fahy told The Guardian.
“Salford I think was slightly different. It was more about attacking us and the fire services.”
The trouble in Greater Manchester dissipated the next day – but the region remained severely shaken.
More than 370 people were arrested, 60 officers were injured, and the total police cost was reportedly more than £3 million.
After the rioting ended elsewhere in England on August 11, it was revealed that more than 200 people had been injured and over 3,000 arrested nationwide. Five people were also killed during the six days of violence.
ADVERTISEMENT
But according to local Councillor Pat Karney, Greater Manchester’s role in the riots was not reflective of what the region was about. He says it was those next few days – where adults and children were seen flocking to fix the damage – that showed the real GM.
“The true Mancunian spirit has been shown in Manchester today,” the councillor stated, as locals swept away debris and stuffed rubbish into sacks.
“The community has come out to say enough is enough, and that they will not stand by and let thugs try to destroy our city.
“This was pure criminal behaviour from a minority of people who were intent on looting and rioting and these criminals are not fit to be called Mancunians.”
All Brewers Fayre and Beefeater locations across the UK are closing down
Danny Jones
It looks to be the end for not one but two of Britain’s best-known and long-running restaurant franchises, as Brewers Fayre and Beefeaters will be closing down all of their locations.
Dating back to the mid-1970s, there will soon be none left anywhere in the country
The pair of recognisable chains, owned by parent company Whitbread PLC – who also own Premier Inn, hence why they usually come as a joint package – have nearly 200 sites across the UK, but they are already in the process of a wholesale shutdown.
News of the impending closures first began circulating back in April, but now the process is said to be fully underway, with multiple Greater Manchester names on the chopping block.
A real shame all brewers fayres are closing down. As a member they’ve sent me a last free main. So enjoying a mixed grill pic.twitter.com/EIHMZ7LCvv
— Daniel Turner⚽️ 🏟️ 1️⃣1️⃣5️⃣8️⃣ (@puffpuff65) August 4, 2026
With roughly 3,800 staff set to be made unemployed as part of the major restructuring by Whitbread, the job cuts will see approximately 12% of their workforce laid off from a total of around 30,000.
One local duo due to face the music is the soon-to-close Stable Gate in Denton and Wheatlea Park in Wigan – both of which are Brewers Fayre branches.
89 of the brand’s boozers have been given until early September (some dates may vary) to shut up shop and hold not just their last orders, but their final dinner service full stop.
The rest of the venues closing next month are Beefeater pubs, including the Heaton Park one in Crumpsall, The Quay House at Salford Quays, and the Whitgate Inn over Oldham way.
As for others nearby, Macclesfield’s Springwood Park is also set to close.
The older of the two British mainstays is Beefeater, which was founded by Whitbread back in 1974 when they opened their first pub, The Halfway House, down in Enfield.
Brewers debuted up North in ’79, with a maiden watering hole called The Farmers Arms in Preston, before going on to open several locations around Lancashire and eventually nationwide.
Most of you will likely have visited or at the very least passed one of those food and drink spots in your time, and while they may be more associated with hotels and service stations these days, they still served as regular haunts for plenty of people who will no doubt be gutted to see them go.
Speaking of services, another big name is expanding further into the North West.
Greater Manchester’s ‘Stroll for Salford’ walking event returns for its second year in 2026
Danny Jones
Following its successful debut last year, Greater Manchester’s now much-loved Stroll for Salford (SfS) event is back for 2026 this autumn.
We’d like to think everyone from around here is filled with hometown pride, but you ask anyone from Salford, and they’ll quickly remind you that this place is its own city, and that it quite rightly deserves celebrating all of its own.
And that’s exactly what the SfS is all about: not just toasting it as the region’s so-called ‘second city’, but as the culturally abundant place that it is and has been for more than 100 years.
Yes, with this sophomore edition following on from the borough celebrating its official Centenary, what better time to hail all things Salfordian.
Stroll for Salford is back🚶🧡
We are delighted to announce the return of the popular fundraising walk back for its second edition on Saturday 19th September as part of Salford's Centenary Year celebrations!
— Salford City FC Foundation (@SalfordCity_FDN) July 30, 2026
Set up by Salford City FC and the partnered charity arm, Foundation 92, the inaugural walk raised more than £3,000 for charity with its maiden event.
Thousands got behind the cause, be it through volunteering and/or donating, as well as talking on the walking route itself back in October.
It’s actually happening a little earlier this time, with the second Stroll for Salford scheduled for Saturday, 19 September.
Kicking off from 10am, those taking part will be setting out on foot for a six-mile journey across the city, starting at the likes of the Civic Centre in Swinton, before passing through other key towns and finishing, of course, at Salford’s AIG Stadium on Moor Lane in Kersal.
The local League Two side continues to do plenty of important work in and around the community – this is just one of many recent, well-received initiatives.
As mentioned earlier, those getting involved will not only receive a special Salford t-shirt following the event alongside a finisher’s medal, but even a complimentary ticket to go and see ‘The Ammies’ in action at their home ground this season.
Not a bad deal at all.
For anyone uninitiated interested in coming along the journey, the route will also pass several key landmarks and a real sense of local history – all while doing your bit for a good cause.
You can help raise important funds for the local area and sign up for the Stroll for Salford 2026 HERE.
Elsewhere in Greater Manchester, another wholesome all-ages event is fast-approaching this August, too; keep on reading to find out all about it…