Cristiano Ronaldo has banned how own mother from watching his live return to the Manchester United squad.
The 36-year-old completed his return to Old Trafford on deadline day – signing a two-year deal with an option to extend that for a further 12 months – and is preparing for his second Red Devils debut when Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side take on Newcastle at Old Trafford next week.
But the five-time Ballon d’Or winner’s mum is unlikely to be at the Theatre of Dreams with Ronaldo declaring it is for her own good.
“She’s not allowed now to watch big games,” he told Piers Morgan in an interview for the Daily Mail.
“I say, ‘Listen, I don’t have a father any more. I don’t want to lose my mum, too, so you’re not going to watch the quarter finals, semi-finals, or finals.”
He previously said: “She gets so nervous, I don’t understand why. She is not allowed now to watch big games.
“I get friends to stay with her and she goes for walks around the house. She fainted two times in the stadium. She is nervous.”
Ronaldo also discussed how his mother is the matriarch of their family as he declared he owes his successful career to her.
He added: “My mum is the pillar of the family, and what I have today is because she always supported me.
“She worked hard to give her best for her children and especially for me because I’m the youngest in the family.
“She suffered to give me opportunity. I remember when I was 12 and I told her I wanted to go to Lisbon to play with Sporting Lisbon’s youth team.
“She said to me, ‘Son, if it’s really what you want, I’m not going to cut your legs and stop you. You can go. It will be difficult for me to leave you but go. Follow your dreams.'”
It is likely that Cristiano Ronaldo will walk out at Old Trafford as a Red Devil for the first time since May 2009 this Saturday 11 September. The whole world will be watching, except his mum.
Richard Keys and Andy Gray to give first UK TV interview since sexism scandal
Former Sky Sports presenting duo Richard Keys and Andy Gray are set to give their first UK interview since they were sacked for a number of sexist remarks back in 2011.
Once regular mainstays on the Premier League‘s long-term broadcasting partner, Keys and Gray haven’t made any British media appearances since their high-profile scandal which highlighted the prevailing sexism in football at the time and, sadly, is still underlying throughout large sections of sport today.
Now, after being approached by fellow controversial TV personality Piers Morgan, the punditry pair will be discussing the incident on national television for the first time in more than a decade, as well as reflecting on their careers since then.
Keys and Gray have been consigned to working on the Qatari network beIN SPORTS since 2013 after they went from being among the most well-known sports commentators to two of the most vilified public figures in the early 2010s.
For anyone still unaware even all the years later, the two Sky employees were caught making a number of sexist comments towards then lineswoman, Sian Ellis-Massey, in a leaked audio recording during which Keys remarked: “someone better go down there and explain the offside rule to her”.
Responding to the jibe, Gray responded by saying “Can you believe that, a female linesman… women don’t know the offside rule”, before his partner in crime responded, “the game’s gone mad”.
Ellis-Massey went on to become the UK’s first female referee and remains one of the leading officials in English football, having also adjudicated games in the Europa League and Women’s World Cup.
To make matter worse, a clip of Keys making similarly inappropriate and offensive remarks while having a conversation with Jamie Redknapp in the Sky Sports studio was also unearthed shortly after, as the lead anchor made a series of crass jokes about sex with the footballer’s former girlfriend.
Speaking in a now infamous BT interview shortly after, Keys insisted that his behaviour was “just banter” and seemed to offer little genuine remorse following the outburst.
Gray has also had little to say about his “unacceptable comments” in the years following, so it’s fair to say a fair few people will be tuning in to watch how the two approach this sit-down.
Andy Gray and Richard Keys’ Piers Morgan Uncensored interview airs at 8pm on TalkTV on Monday, 28 November.
Featured Image — beIN SPORTS/Piers Morgan (via Twitter)
Marcus Rashford finally responds to ‘idol’ Cristiano Ronaldo’s United departure
Marcus Rashford has finally responded to the news of former teammate and role model Cristiano Ronaldo’s departure from Manchester United during Sunday’s England press conference.
The 25-year-old was speaking at the Three Lions’ World Cup pre-match presser ahead of their final group game against Wales on Tuesday, but media personnel couldn’t help but ask him about the saga.
Rashford has made no secret of his admiration for the club legend over the years – even modelling his knuckleball free-kick technique after him – and while Ronaldo‘s legacy might no longer be what it once was, he had only positive things to say about playing alongside the sporting icon.
The Man United number ten was just 12 years old and playing in the academy set-up when the Portuguese star first left the club back in 2009.
“It has been an unbelievable experience to play with him”, Rashford told reporters in Qatar, adding: “He is one of my idols and someone I always looked up to. It’s something I can keep with me forever.”
He went on to wish the all-time leading club and international goalscorer the best for his future and thank him “for the things he’s done for Manchester United.”
Like most fans, Rashford will no doubt be conflicted over the way Ronaldo ended up leaving the club but, as a peer, cannot easily forget what he achieved at the club and throughout his career as a whole.
The Wythenshawe native is one of few players to have addressed the stormy situation at Old Trafford in recent weeks, with fellow club and countrymen Bruno Fernandes insisting that doesn’t need to “take a side”.