We’ve now seen enough stories, interviews and admittedly convincing speculation to start seriously wondering whether Bugzy Malone is going to fight Floyd Mayweather.
Yes, in case you haven’t been keeping an eye on this story which looks to be gradually building more and more momentum, UK rapper and actor Bugzy Malone is being linked with a possible boxing match with one of the most successful fighters to have ever lived, Floyd Mayweather Jr.
One of the biggest and most anticipated match-ups in years is just around the corner between Tyson Fury and Oleksandr Usyk (no, it’s actually happening this time, honest) but some fans now have their eye on an arguably more exciting exhibition that could take place right here in Manchester.
In fact, it’s now become such a genuine possibility that Bugzy himself, real name Aaron Daniel Davies, even addressed the rumours head-on in a recent interview with Eddie Hearn.
Bugzy Malone reveals to Eddie Hearn how rumours about him fighting Floyd Mayweather started 🥊👀
Floyd is said to even be willing to let him fight above his usual weight category. Bold.
As the local grime artist from Crumpsall reveals in his sit down with the boxing mogul, who said that people in the industry had been hearing talk of a fight for some time, Floyd himself is said to have asked someone to contact Bugzy about a potential fight by way of a ‘private jet’ enquiry, no less.
ADVERTISEMENT
Random one, for sure, but that’s just rich people things.
As detailed in the full episode of Hearn’s No Passion, No Point podcast for the BBC, it was actually Mayweather Senior who apparently saw a video of the Manc rapper training online and went on to suggest the fight to his son.
ADVERTISEMENT
Having seen his physique and admitting he “looks strong”, and Bugzy’s love of boxing well-documented – a discipline he turned to earlier in his career to try and ‘stay out of trouble’ – Mayweather Jr then had this call set up and quickly began a discussion surrounding potential fight papers.
The 33-year-old even addressed the contract being ‘on the table’ in a snippet from the song ‘Daily Duppy’ from his latest album, The Great British Dream, which dropped on Friday, 10 May.
This was the first public mention of Bugzy Malone vs Mayweather by either party, as far as we know.
Only ever having really plied his trade in the amateur arena, the prospective bout obviously wouldn’t be a full professional fight and with Mayweather having already taken on a number of exhibitions – most notably against influencer Logan Paul – his interest was already believable even before Hearn’s interview.
ADVERTISEMENT
As Bugzy confessed in the chat, he had already been offered multiple fights in the past but had turned them down due to the advent of “YouTube boxing“, insisting that he’s “not really interested in stepping into it”, but a credible offer for an actual fight against a legendary sportsman would turn anyone’s head.
Mayweather famously boasts a 50-0 unbeaten record, including 27 knockouts and 12 world championships in five different weight classes. Well, Bugzy won Best Grime Act at the MOBOs this year, so shove it.
Fellow boxing promoter Spencer Fearon also weighed in on how plausible the punch-up currently is, going on to corroborate details surrounding said offer made by the private jet company backed by millionaires and adding that Bugzy “can actually fight”, for those who were wondering about his ability.
As Fearon puts it, the fight is “one million per cent genuine”, it’s a case of both sides being willing to pull the trigger and decide on things like the fight purse etc.
As for when we could expect to see this fight, who knows? However, there are indications it could happen later this year and the Manchester native would obviously want to have it at the AO Arena where the likes of Fury, Ricky Hatton, Anthony Crolla and others from the region have fought before him.
ADVERTISEMENT
If you’ve seen even one picture of Bugzy Malone before you’ll know the man keeps himself in shape, but you only have to take a glance at the top of his Instagram page to see he’s been training pretty hard since last summer.
The question is, will the stars align and could, say, summer 2024 be the moment in sporting and entertainment crossover history that we get to see Bugzy Malone take on Floyd Mayweather in the ring?
Featured Images — Bugzy Malone (via IG)/No Passion, No Point (via BBC)/rcelis (via Pixabay)
Sport
Co-op Live confirmed as the host venue for the 2026 Netball Super League Grand Final
Danny Jones
Manchester’s Co-op Live has booked its latest big event as the 2026 Netball Super League (NSL) Grand Final is set to be held at the massive indoor venue.
As one of the biggest indoor entertainment venues not just in the country but all of Europe, there’ll be room for plenty of UK fans to pile into the stands.
This being not only the NSL‘s debut at the arena but the first final to ever be held in the building, it’s set to be a historic night for lots of reasons.
Announcing the huge coup – not just for the increasingly popular female-led competition, but for sports fans around Greater Manchester in general – this week, the reaction to the big date on the women’s sporting calendar has been just as big.
As mentioned in an official press release, “The selection of Co-op Live for the 2026 Soft & Gentle Grand Final builds on the arena’s rapid emergence as a global destination for sport and entertainment, following a programme of major global broadcasts across music and sport.”
The 23,500-capacity and completely indoor stadium has quickly established itself as a leading destination for live music and more since it finally opened back in May 2024.
Last year’s Super League Grand Final was held down in the capital at The O2 Arena as the fast-rising franchise London Pulse beat Loughborough Lightning 53–45 to lift the title for the first time in history.
Now, the NSL is looking to capitalise on those record-breaking crowds by bringing the action closer to another foundational home for so many competitive disciplines: Greater Manchester.
With England Netball themselves being headquarted at the England Netball is headquartered at the National Squash Centre and Regional Arena on the Etihad Campus (next door to the arena), choosing Co-op Live only felt natural this time.
Elsewhere, another big tournament is being held up in the North, too, with the Netball Super Cup set be hosted at the Utilita Arena over in Yorkshire – much to our mates at The Sheff‘s delight.
Treat a netball fan in your life ❤️
🤝 Help them start #NSL2026 in style and get them tickets to see the Netball Super Cup live.
As for Co-op Live itself, general manager Guy Dunstan commented: “We’re incredibly proud to welcome the Soft & Gentle Grand Final to Co-op Live and to make history by hosting the first sporting final at the arena.
“Co-op Live was designed to bring people together for unforgettable shared experiences, and this reflects everything [we] stand for: world-class events, inclusivity, community impact and inspiring the next generation. We can’t wait to see Manchester play host to such a landmark moment for the sport.”
As always, official Co-op members get early access through the venue’s dedicated presale window, which will open at 10am on Monday, 2 March.
Meanwhile, general admission will then be available from the same time the following Thursday (5 Mar); you can get ready to grab your tickets for the Netball Super League Grand Final in Manchester at Co-op Live right HERE.
Featured Images — Publicity pictures (supplied via Co-op Live)
Sport
Pep Guardiola delivers important reminder about multiculturalism after Jim Ratcliffe controversy
Danny Jones
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has delivered an important message about the power of multiculturalism in his most recent press conference.
Guardiola’s comments come after the high-profile controversy surrounding his rival club across the city, Man United, whose co-owner, Sir Jim Ratcliffe, saw some of his recent remarks fall under major scrutiny.
In case you somehow missed it, the Failsworth-born British billionaire was heavily criticised after claiming he believes the UK has been “colonised by immigrants”.
Fast forward a couple of days, and while the club and the fan base are still dealing with the fallout of the story, Pep acknowledged the debate by reminding people that “embracing other cultures” makes for a “better society”.
Well put, Pep – in fact, we couldn’t have said it better ourselves.
Although he didn’t reference the 74-year-old directly after being probed on the subject by journalists, the Man City boss reiterated that his time spent living and working across the world has only broadened his mind and enriched his life.
That goes for both his professional and personal spheres, by the way, as the Catalan coach has often spoken of his love for English culture and the Manc people, specifically.
Speaking ahead of this weekend’s FA Cup game against local side Salford City, Pep described the attitudes towards immigrants around the world as a “big problem” despite most people simply leaving their country in search of “a better life”.
He also drew attention to the fact that he, like so many others in football – a sporting industry loved the world round by people from all walks of life and that the likes of Ratcliffe directly benefit from – is an immigrant working and contributing to not just the game but the British economy by being here.
Meanwhile, Manchester United have since shared a public statement on their club website and across social media, reiterating to fans and supporters the world over that they are an “inclusive club”.
‘We will continue to represent our people, our city and our fans with purpose and pride.’
The INEOS chairman, CEO and minority stakeholder in Manchester United Football Club, has since apologised (at least in part) for his “choice of language” following the divisive interview with Sky News.
In a world where plenty of people are quick to pessimism, negativity and turn to division almost by default, Pep’s message is one echoed by so many and is one that we should all keep in mind.
And for anyone who needs a more light-hearted bit of content on their timeline this week, here’s what else Pep said in his pre-match presser…
Pep Guardiola responding to a really intelligent question from a reporter:
‘Do you want to be my assistant coach, fucking hell, you are brilliant…’