Manchester United supporters can breathe a sigh of relief and start the end-of-season celebrations early, as Kobbie Mainoo has signed a new deal with the club, extending his contract until 2031.
A big win for the Red Devils and their fans.
In fact, many will argue it’s great news for England too, as the promising young Man United midfielder’s place in the national team also looked to be in jeopardy earlier this season.
Having gone from struggling for game time to now having started all but one of the current interim manager, Michael Carrick’s, Premier League games, it’s been quite the turnaround for the newly re-committed first-team star.
After transfer specialist Fabrizio Romano broke the news early on Tuesday, 28 April, Man United has now officially announced Kobbie Mainoo‘s eagerly anticipated contract extension.
ADVERTISEMENT
Mainoo’s existing terms would have seen his deal run out next summer before the start of the 2027/28 season, but now, a fresh five-year deal could see him stay at Old Trafford until at least the start of the next decade.
Having recently turned 21 and having enjoyed a real revival under Carrick, it’s less of a comeback for Kobbie or even a return to form – he simply needed way more minutes.
ADVERTISEMENT
The Stockport-born United and Three Lions prospect was said to be on the verge of leaving the club under previous boss Ruben Amorim’s tenure – and not necessarily just on loan, either.
Romano stated that Napoli were one of many suitors who looked odds-on to sign Mainoo on at least a temporary deal this past winter.
Several clubs around Europe were heavily interested in signing Carrington youth academy graduate when it looked as though INEOS were determined to back Amorim, meaning the ‘Theatre of Dreams’ would have missed out on that mazy run against Brentford, and who knows what else in the future…
Most Reds would surely have been left hugely disappointed were this to have happened, especially given how long the Portuguese head coach ended up staying at the club.
However close they got heading into the January transfer window, the prior head coach’s departure meant that Mainoo was given another chance at a dream career for his boyhood club, and he has been very impressive ever since he started getting first-team football again.
It also goes without saying that regular playing time is great news for Thomas Tuchel’s side ahead of the 2026 World Cup, as the youngster has looked more than capable of playing in major finals, including the most recent Euros, where he helped give England the lift in midfield that was needed that tournament.
Speaking in an official club statement, Kobbie said: “Manchester United has always been my home; this special club means everything to my family. I have grown up seeing the impact that our club has on our city, and I relish the responsibility that comes with wearing this shirt.
“From The Cliff, to Littleton Road, to Carrington and ultimately Old Trafford, the journey so far has been incredible. I have the privilege of living my dream every single day, with the same relentless desire to succeed here as when I joined my first training session at the age of six.”
ADVERTISEMENT
“We can all feel the momentum building inside the club. I am determined to step up and play my role in helping Manchester United to regularly fight for major trophies in the years ahead.” Happy, United fans?
Teams and fixture date confirmed for first-ever regular season NBA game in Manchester
Danny Jones
In another major coup for Manchester, the NBA is coming to our shores for just the second time in our history, and now the teams set to take part have finally been announced.
Having only been played in the UK on a relative handful of occasions, this is nothing short of a massive milestone for the city.
Last crossing the pond back in 2019, the NBA has only visited 0161 once before over a decade ago at the old AO Arena, and there’s only been a total of 19 transatlantic meetings up until now.
As if that wasn’t exciting enough, being confirmed as part of the NBA’s new European slate, Manchester is also set to be one of the first venues in the UK to ever host a regular-season game outside of the United States. Massive. Here’s who’s playing and when:
NBA Europe managed to secure a three-year programme of fixtures that will feature as part of the league’s normal competitive season in late 2025.
As you can see, kicking off next year and running until 2028 at the very least, the current deal will see the much-loved sport watched worldwide first land on the continent for a pair of games next year in Berlin and London, before heading to Paris and our very own Manchester in Q1.
Florida’s Orlando Magic and Tennessee’s Memphis Grizzlies had already been announced for the first two games last July, and now the San Antonio Spurs and New Orleans Pelicans are set to face off for the Manc meeting.
With Basketball England being officially headquartered within the wider Etihad Campus, there was no question that the Manchester NBA fixture was going to be held at Co-op Live.
As well as being not just the biggest indoor entertainment venue of its kind in England but all of Europe, the arena has also recently welcomed the likes of the UFC, WWE and multiple boxing bouts, proving it can serve as the perfect host for premier live sporting action on a global scale.
In addition to the matches themselves, the Spurs and Pelicans will also be holding various fan activities and events within the region as part of the NBA Cares social impact programming initiative, with a focus on health, wellness, sustainability and coaching, as well as both player and even referee development.
NEW ORLEANS PELICANS AND SAN ANTONIO SPURS TO PLAY REGULAR-SEASON GAMES IN PARIS AND MANCHESTER IN 2027
Spurs and Pelicans to Face Off on Jan. 14 in Paris and Jan. 17 in Manchester
The NBA today announced that the New Orleans Pelicans and the San Antonio Spurs will play… pic.twitter.com/S80Yl102Fg
Speaking on the seismic news last summer, the leader of Manchester City Council and representative for Burnage, Bev Craig, could only echo how big a deal this is for the region.
“Manchester once again has shown what a magnificent draw it is for major events, and we are thrilled to welcome the NBA back to our city”, she said. “This city is known for big names, big games and a reputation for showcasing world-class events on the biggest stage possible.
“With a growing basketball scene in Manchester, this event feels like the perfect fit and will give so many people in our city the chance to see what the best athletes in the sport can do on our home turf.
“When it comes to delivering world-class events, we know that Manchester is now firmly on the map. Now, working with our partners, we want to continue driving investment towards our city, creating new jobs, increasing growth and providing new opportunities and experiences for all of our residents.”
You can register your interest for tickets to see Spurs vs Pelicans in a proper competitive NBA regular season round right at the Co-op Live in Manchester, right HERE; remember, you can always spring for the discounted posh seats, as well.
Manchester Storm have already set a new record before they’ve even returned ‘home’
Danny Jones
Manchester Storm have already broken a record ahead of next season, and they’ve done it before they’ve even made it back to their original stadium.
Just goes to show that the ice hockey following here in Greater Manchester hasn’t gone anywhere.
Following the news that Manchester Storm will be returning to the city centre for the 2026/27 campaign, they’ve had a flood of interest from both new and old fans.
With that in mind, it didn’t take long for the native team to reveal that they have already set a new record for season ticket sales just a few weeks on from the announcement.
Sharing an update on social media, they write: “Manchester Storm supporters have delivered incredible demand for 2026/27 Season Tickets, with the club recording its highest-ever sales within the first week and the strongest total in its modern history.
“Thank you, Manchester, for your amazing support.”
Crediting ticketing partner StubHero for helping deliver “a smooth experience during this period of exceptional demand” for followers of the local outfit, they’re even set to give away the next milestone season ticket away completely FREE as part of the ‘homecoming’ celebrations.
Writing further in an official statement, they went on to add: “The move back to the AO Arena represents far more than just a change of venue or a return home…
“It marks the beginning of an ambitious new chapter for the club, built around bigger crowds, bigger occasions, and an unforgettable gameday experience in one of the UK’s premier entertainment venues.
Speaking in an interview with internal media, CEO and owner Emma Finnerty said that they’re not just aiming to grow their reputation in Britain: “Our vision is to become the biggest club in Europe.
“When you think of Manchester, you think of Manchester United and Manchester City – and then hopefully we’ll come third after them.”
While the former ‘Storm Shelter’ stadium at Planet Ice Altrincham only held a maximum of 2,500 spectators, serving them more than faithfully over the past decade or so, the AO Arena can literally hold almost ten times that amount. Here’s hoping they get close to full week in and week out.
As hockey fandom continues to grow across the UK, it feels like a better time than ever for supporters to get involved with the sport – and, as ever, they’re keen to get people as involved as possible.