A Bolton mum is said to have been left “traumatised” after a microwave poaching hack backfired and she’s vowed never to eat an egg again.
25-year-old Chantelle Conway was left with horrific facial burns after her attempt to poach an egg in the microwave went wrong and left screaming in agony.
Using the same tried-and-tested method she’s “always” done to poach eggs, Chantelle boiled the kettle and filled a cup before cracking a raw egg into the water and putting it in the microwave for ten seconds – but when she then put a cold spoon into the boiling water to remove the poached egg, the reaction sent the piping hot water shooting straight into her face as she stood over the cup.
Chantelle claims that she has been poaching eggs in the microwave for the last two years before it went wrong earlier this month.
She was so rocked by the incident that she was convinced she’d “burnt her face off”.
“I’ve always done poached eggs that way because it was just a quicker and easier way of doing them,” said Chantelle, from Farnworth in Bolton.
“When I took it out of the microwave, I put a metal spoon in to turn the egg and check if it was cooked but as soon as the spoon touched the water it shot out.
“It wasn’t the egg that blew up [as] that landed on my kitchen side, it was the water that went everywhere – all over my face and neck and I’m sure it even hit the ceiling because there’s a mark above where I was standing.
“It was the worst pain I’ve ever experienced in my life.”
Describing the pain as feeling like “someone had a blowtorch on my face constantly”, Chantelle said she was “really lucky” that she managed to shut her eyes in time and wasn’t blinded, but admits that here eyelids were “badly burnt”.
Chantelle was at home with her 18-month-old daughter and was on FaceTime with her cousin Stephanie at the time of the horrific accident, who listened in horror to Chantelle’s screams as the water scalded her face.
Relaying the traumatic incident, Stephanie said: “We FaceTime every day and she puts the phone on the tea and sugar pots while she makes a brew [but] all of a sudden I saw lots of stuff flying up in the air and she was screaming and couldn’t even talk to tell me what had happened so I thought the kettle had blown up in her face.
“I was in Manchester at the time [so I was] too far away to nip round.
“I just felt helpless and was panicking trying to call someone nearby to go help her.”
After her partner Mark came home to take her to A&E at Royal Bolton Hospital, Chantelle revealed that hospital staff said her quick reaction of continuously pouring cold water over her face meant she was very lucky to have not sustained third-degree burns.
Following the life-changing incident, Chantelle has shared photos of her excruciating facial burns to warn others against the ‘hack’ – which she has seen people doing on TikTok – and also shared her burn recovery experience to raise awareness and warn others on the social media platform.
“I do take full responsibility for what happened,” Chantelle admits.
“It was silly of me to do it and I just want more people to know what can happen so it doesn’t happen to anyone else.
“I’ll never have an egg again because I’m so traumatised.”
Featured Image – Kennedy News and Media
Coca-Cola confirms the Christmas Truck is coming to Manchester this weekend
Coca-Cola has finally confirmed the news we’ve all been waiting for… the Christmas Truck will be in Manchester this weekend.
December is here, the temperatures have plummeted outside, and the ‘most wonderful time of the year’ is nearing closer and closer by the day – but it’s not Christmas until you’ve gone and got a Coca-Cola from the giant red van is it, right?
Well luckily, we won’t have to wait too much longer to get to do that once again.
The soft drinks company confirmed that ‘Holidays Are Coming’ a couple of weeks back, with the UK tour of the iconic Coca-Cola Christmas Truck now well underway, and having visited other major northern cities such as Leeds and Liverpool over the last few days.
And now, Coca-Cola has revealed that the legendary van is coming to Greater Manchester this weekend, and will be stopping off at the Trafford Centre for one day only.
The much-loved festive symbol will be arriving outside the shopping centre tomorrow (Saturday 2 December) from midday right through until 8pm to provide “the ultimate Christmas celebration”, with a whole host of activities planned for families of all ages.
The 2023 Coca-Cola Christmas Truck journey will be packed with “interactive experiences for visitors to immerse themselves in”.
Anyone who heads to the Trafford Centre from midday tomorrow will first be welcomed by a walk-in, snow-filled bauble that invites them to “step into a winter wonderland for the perfect holiday snapshot”, all before making a stop at the ‘Ho-Ho-Hoop Hut’ to take part in a fun festive game for the chance to win a selection of prizes – including meal-inspired rewards, and recycled Christmas tree decorations.
Families can then finish off the tour by posing for a memorable photo opportunity in front of the iconic Coca-Cola truck.
Visitors are welcome to listen to the Coca-Cola Christmas choir as they perform a set of carols too.
Fancy it then? If you’re ready to kick-start Christmas the right way, then make sure you get yourself down to the Trafford Centre from midday tomorrow.
Featured Image – Supplied
Tesco has slashed the price of one-litre bottles of Baileys by more than 50%
Tesco has slashed the price of one-litre bottles of Baileys by more than 50%, and they’re now available to get your hands on for a limited time only.
With December officially here, and the festive season nearing closer by the day, most UK supermarkets are rolling out deals left, right, and centre to help shoppers save a few pennies during ‘the most wonderful time of the year’ as the cost of living crisis continues – and it seems like Tesco is absolutely no different.
That’s because the retailer has decided to knock a whopping £12 off the regular price of one-litre bottles of one of the best-loved Christmas tipples.
Fans of the classic Irish cream liqueur drink will probably want to run not walk to their nearest Tesco to stock up on Baileys ready for the big day to arrive, as big bottles of the festive favourite have been reduced from £22 right down to just £10, and are now available to fill your basket with.
But… there’s a bit of a catch (isn’t there always?)
Not only is the over half-price offer only available for a very limited time, and due to expire at the end of next week, but shoppers will only be able to buy the one-litre bottles at the impressive £10 price if they’re Tesco Clubcard customers.
You were probably expecting that’d be the case, right? The supermarket – which is well-known for the savings it offers via is loyalty card scheme all year round – is giving Clubcard users up until Monday 11 December to nip to their nearest branch or head online to the Tesco website and buy as many bottles of Bailey’s as they fancy.
As part of the supermarket’s commitment to “keep prices low” until the end of the year, stuffing, roast potatoes, cranberry sauce, and even tin foil have all seen their prices slashed as the retailer aims to help those struggling to cover costs.