Hidden away among numerous overgrown bushes and trees lies the remains of a former nursery school in Bolton that was once loved by many.
The Elms Private Nursery School – on Blackburn Road, in the Sharples area of the Greater Manchester borough of Bolton – first opened its doors to the public back in 1990, and went on to nurture hundreds of children before it closed for good in 2018 / 19.
The former nursery owners Dorothy and Brian Wrigley converted the downstairs of their home and the property next door into the business, while they moved into a flat above.
“At that time, there were only 11 other private early years settings in Bolton,” Mrs Wrigley told the Bolton News in 2011.
“I felt I was about to jump out of the frying pan into the fire.
“I was the headteacher of a local primary school and was not sure what the future held, as the private sector was not always looked upon favourably at that time, with The Children’s Act only just being written and implemented, and social services being responsible for registering and monitoring settings.”
Mr and Mrs Wrigley ran the business for 17 “very happy” years before their daughter, Joanne Haworth, eventually bought it from them in 2007 to carry on the legacy, until it became “no longer financially viable”.
And now, the Victorian building has sadly been left to decay.
Photos revealing the state of disrepair that the building currently lies in have gone viral on social media this week, after the nursery premises became the latest point of interest for Abandoned UK – “a small team of urban explorers that love to travel and explore”.
And it’s not hard to see why it’s got people talking either.
There’s boarded up windows, rooms gutted inside, smashed glass throughout, rotting walls and ceilings, old playground swings and slides still intact outside, and much more that make it a shadow of its former self.
But regardless of whether you knew of the nursery in its prime, it’s still an eerie sight.
The post caught the attention of people right across the borough.
It amassed hundreds of shares and comments by members of the local community, with some shocked at the state the building had been left in, and others sharing fond memories of times when they or they’re children attended the nursery.
Former members of staff also chimed in to remember the good times, and many also expressed their sadness at the thought of the building falling further into disrepair with time.
Others were completely unaware the nursery had even closed down at all.
The post also went on to generate conversation as to what may come of the building in the future, or rather, if there even is a plan for the building.
Several speculations were made as to whether the new owners may have intended to restore the building to its former glory – potentially through the opening of another commercial premises, with references made to another once-thriving commercial building that has also gone to ruin a couple doors down, or through conversion into residential property – but had ran into complications, or funding issues along the way.
But for now, they remain as speculations, and the future appears unknown.
Manchester City loanee João Cancelo looks ‘possessed’ in viral post-match interview
Manchester City loanee João Cancelo has gone viral after countless people online said that he looked “possessed” in a post-match interview over the weekend.
The 29-year-old City star, currently on loan at Barcelona, scored the winner for the Spanish giants in their game against Celta Vigo on Saturday, 23 September.
has already grabbed a couple of goals and an assist this season — one of them being the third in Barca’s 3-2 victory, which came in the 89th minute of the game.
So, naturally, Spanish media wanted to chat with him after full-time and we’d pay good money to know how this particular interviewer reacted after Cancelo suddenly started pulling these extremely weird faces mid-chat:
What the hell is going on? We have no idea but it’s certainly amused and intrigued people online.
With many commenting that he looks as though he’s suddenly become “possessed” by some sort of supernatural force and others joking that he must have just “come straight from a rave” to play a quick 90 minutes, people have been genuinely scratching their heads at the bizarre clip.
The video has been viewed over 12 million times on TikTok and reshared by countless other users across various different social media platforms.
Maybe he just had really dry eyes and an even drier mouth? Either that or he was still riding an absolute adrenaline high from this moment:
Despite being arguably one of the best players in the Premier League and winning plenty of silverware under Pep Guardiola, the two seemingly fell out sometime last season and Cancelo was ultimately sidelined by the Catalan coach sidelined.
Now playing at Pep’s boyhood club and enjoying regular minutes thus far (after also being out of the Bayern squad earlier this year), it remains to be seen whether the two will mend fences and the Portuguese star will return to the Etihad at some point in the future.
Peter Kay wants to do a Phoenix Nights film and has already written multiple Max and Paddy Christmas specials
Comedy legend Peter Kay has revealed that he wants to revive Phoenix Nights in the form of a feature film and has been writing down ideas for years.
Writing in his upcoming memoir, TV: Big Adventures on the Small Screen — which releases on Thursday, 28 September this week — Kay has confirmed that he’s been workshopping possible ways to do it ever since the hit show ended in 2003.
As per multiple outlets who got their hands on extracts from the follow-up to his best-selling autobiography from 2007, The Sound of Laughter, the Bolton-born comic, actor and writer says: “I still write down ideas.
“I had an idea only today of Brian getting Young Kenny [played by fellow Manc funnyman, Justin Moorhouse] to paint an enormous letter ‘H’ on the roof of the club so he can advertise they’ve got a helicopter pad. The chance of a helicopter ever landing is, of course, zero.” Kay also returned stand-up at the AO Arena this weekend.
The 50-year-old goes on to write that, “As the years pass, I’m becoming more like Brian, but if Phoenix Nights rose again it’d have to be for something very special, maybe a film? Perhaps Brian could get visited by three ghosts. Now, wouldn’t that be an idea?”
It’s worth noting that this isn’t the first time Kay has floated the possibility of a feature-length Phoenix Nights comeback, having told producers that a script was ‘ready to go’ back in 2011 around the same time and success of The Inbetweeners Movie.
In fact, a few years later in 2017, he told BBC Radio Manchester that he’d “love to go back” to the series and said, “There’s a whole series three been written for about 15 years” but insisted that other projects and real-life simply gets in the way. As for whether this was turned into a film script, who knows?
Furthermore, the sell-out standup (whose return to the stage broke records and the internet late last year) shed even further light on the show’s spin-off, Max & Paddy’s Road to Nowhere and its potential return for a Christmas special or two. In fact, co-star Paddy McGuinness talked it up earlier this year too.
He detailed how a script he’d written revolved around the two bouncers as “overly aggressive” elves working in Santa’s grotto.
Like his lifelong friend Peter, McGuinness insisted he’s always been keen to bring the equally popular comedy duo back and has said in the past that there’s “always talk about doing another one”, but that the issue is simply “time” and “getting everyone together”.
We’re keeping everything crossed that the time is just around the corner.