The 22-year-old from east London, who fled her home in 2015 to join terror group Isis, was questioned today on comments she made about the bombing on Good Morning Britain.
Asked for a message to Boris Johnson, Begum said that she could help the Prime Minister in his “fight against terrorism because [he] clearly don’t know what [he’s] doing”.
She told Good Morning Britain: “I want to say that you are clearly struggling with extremism and terrorism in your country. And I want to help with that with giving my own experience from with these extremists and what they say and how they persuade people to do what they do and to come to places like Syria.
“I think I could very much help you in your fight against terrorism, because you clearly don’t know what you’re doing.”
Begum added that while she believes the only crime she committed was being “dumb enough” to come to Isis, she still deserves a fair trial.
She said: “Honestly, the only crime I think I committed was being dumb enough to come to Isis, and even that can be refuted because I was 15 when I came, and you can’t, you know, judge a 15-year-old for making a mistake which he or she very quickly regretted making.
“If you really think I did do this, why don’t you bring me back and put me on trial, and hear my side of the story.
“If you if you honestly believe that, don’t you think I just have to go to jail for it.
“The fact that you think I should rather rot here, instead of face trial… the democracy that you live in, says that everyone deserves a fair trial.”
Richard Madeley also grilled Ms Begum on her 2019 comments about the Manchester Arena attack. She said the attack was “justified” because of airstrikes that killed civilians in Syria.
She said: “I didn’t know about the Manchester bombings when I was asked I didn’t know that women and children were killed.
“I had no connection to the outside world when I was in Isis. I didn’t have a phone, my husband couldn’t use the internet.
“So we were really unaware of anything going on outside. We were only aware of what was going on in the Middle East. I know it is hard for some people to believe.”
Richard Madeley asked her why she decided to stay in the terror group after Begum claimed she would “rather die” than return to Isis.
She told him: “It was not possible to leave at all. You had to find connections and even then those connections could be fake Isis police trying to find people trying to leave so they could put them in prison.
“My husband was being watched very closely by Isis he couldn’t even use a phone or go to an internet café so how can we find connections to leave?
“You had to have a lot of money and we didn’t have access to that money to enable us to leave.”
Speaking from Syria and wearing a black Nike baseball cap, Begum said it was “not justifiable to kill innocent people in the name of religion”.
Football fans call out ‘tone-deaf’ FA TikTok for mocking ‘life-threatening’ head injury
Football fans are calling out the official FA Cup TikTok account for mocking a serious head injury suffered by a Stockport County player earlier this week.
The Hatters beat Charlton Athletic in fine fashion with a 3-1 victory on Wednesday, 7 December, with Will Collar’s hattrick (the club’s first since 2019) sending them through to the next round of the cup.
However, another notable moment from the night was right back Macauley Southam-Hales’ collision with advertising hoarders after a shove from Charlton captain George Dobson.
As the likes of County fan Joel Ward wrote on Twitter, many online were quick to slam the clip for joking about an injury that hospitalised the player, the consensus being that it isn’t a “great look” for the FA.
While many reacting in the comments recognised that Dobson didn’t intend to hurt Southam-Hales by shepherding the ball out of play, the Stockport defender does hit the predominantly metal structure with some force and was left in clear discomfort following the smash.
The video itself has since been removed from the official account following the backlash but people are still reacting as the clip continues to be reshared on social media.
The clip was branded as everything from “disgusting” and “disgraceful” to “simply unbelievable”.
What’s most concerning is that despite the recent push to promote awareness surrounding concussions, brain trauma and even heading the ball – which, historically, haven’t been properly monitored in football – whoever posted the video on behalf of the FA didn’t consider the very serious nature of the incident.
As alluded to above, perhaps what makes the post even more shocking and tone-deaf is that it comes just weeks after Bath City player forward Alex Fletcher was placed in intensive care following an almost identical accident.
The 23-year-old underwent life-saving brain surgery and although he has since been discharged from the hospital, he is said to have a “long road to recovery ahead of him”.
County confirmed that despite being the all-clear pitchside, Southam-Hales was taken to the hospital as a precaution after he suffered significant swelling around the neck area. Nevertheless, as we know all too well, it could have been much worse.
As for the FA, they have now apologised for the inappropriate attempt at humour, confirming that they have removed the video from all official accounts, admitting that “it should never have been published and assuring that they will “review [their] processes to ensure this never happens again.”
You can watch the full highlights from Stockport County vs Charlton Athletic HERE but we’d recommend you watch Alan Shearer reminding everyone who plays football to be more vigilant when it comes to head injuries.
Watch Eurovision star Sam Ryder surprise Mancs with busking set at St Peter’s Square
Eurovision star Sam Ryder caught local Mancunians off-guard when he popped up to perform a surprise busking set in St Peter’s Square.
Making the unexpected appearance on Thursday, 8 December, the ‘Space Man’ singer left passers-by and locals simply going about their workday chuffed to bits as he played a number of recognisable hits.
While Mancs were wrapped up in their winter layers, they were more than happy to stand around and listen to the soulful singer do renditions of Queen, Stevie Wonder, as well as a couple of his own songs.
The 33-year-old who came second to Ukraine in the 2022 Eurovision Song Contest obviously played his smash-hit entry as well as one his most recent tracks, ‘All The Way Over’.
He went on to explain he and his team had decided to travel across the country to perform a number of these surprise sets to not only promote his upcoming album, but to spread some festive cheer and return some of the love he’s received from the nation this year.
Ryder wasn’t the only one to surprise Manc music lovers with a live performance this week either.
The Essex boy seemed to have a lot of appreciation for the city of Manchester and it certainly looks to be reciprocated.
His new record, There’s Nothing But Space, Man!, drops on Friday 9 December and he’s hoping to whip up regional support with surprise sets like this to send his album to number one in time for Christmas.
You can watch Sam Ryder’s surprise set back again in full on our Facebook Live below: