Oldham grandfather becomes oldest man to row 3,000 miles solo across Atlantic
A 70-year-old grandfather from Oldham smashed a world record this weekend after rowing 3,000 miles unassisted across the Atlantic Ocean and raising hundreds of thousands in the process.
A grandfather from Oldham has smashed a world record after rowing 3,000 miles unassisted across the Atlantic Ocean and raising hundreds of thousands in the process.
Frank Rothwell, 70, set sail from the Canary Islands on December 12 and crossed the finish line 56 days later (achieving his target of making it to the Caribbean by Valentine’s Day).
His arrival in Antigua on Saturday was greeted by whoops and cheers from supporters – officially making Frank the oldest person to complete the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge.
The feat has so far raised over £700,000 for Alzheimer’s Research UK; a cause close to Frank’s heart after his brother-in-law Roger – who suffered from the condition – passed away during the row.
The hope is to generate £1 million overall.
ADVERTISEMENT
Frank Rothwell made history by becoming the oldest person to row solo across the Atlantic 🚣♂️⁰ We’ll speak to Frank this morning on #BBCBreakfast ⏰
Frank Rothwell, a 70-year-old grandfather from Oldham, has become the oldest person to row unassisted across the Atlantic Ocean – raising more than £640,000 for charity.
Frank, who trained for 18 months for the challenge, told media after completing his journey he felt “quite emotional” at the finish line and admitted he was “relieved it was all over”.
He added: “The self-discipline, that’s the hardest thing. You can lay there and drift along with the wind and the current at 1 mile an hour, or you can get on the oars and go three miles an hour.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Obviously I’m an old man with an old body, so I’ve got a few adaptions to the boat to make it easier for myself – my seat is a racing car seat rather than a little pad that others sit on.”
Frank also thanked the five thousands supporters who’d donated to the cause so far and his wife who he described as his “rock”.
Hilary Evans, chief executive of Alzheimer’s Research UK, said: “We’re incredibly moved by Frank’s determination to raise £1m for dementia research. By taking on such a monumental challenge at 70 years old, he has helped to spread awareness and inspired people of all ages to take on their own challenges.
ADVERTISEMENT
“To bring about life-changing treatments for dementia, fundraising efforts from ordinary people like Frank and his supporters provide a crucial lifeline to the progression of our research.”
Learn more about Frank’s Atlantic Challenge on his website.
News
‘Seriously injured’ man rescued from reservoir dam at popular Bolton country park
Emily Sergeant
A significant emergency service response descended on a popular country park in Bolton early yesterday evening.
After reports of a person in the water at Jumbles Reservoir, in the Bromley Cross / Bradshaw area of Bolton, came in just before 6:30pm yesterday (Monday 18 May), teams from North West Ambulance Service (NWAS), Lancashire Constabulary, and Lancashire Fire & Rescue Service all attended the scene in droves.
Specialist support was also provided from NWAS’s Hazardous Area Response Team, North West Air Ambulance, Bolton Mountain Rescue Team, National Police Air Service, and United Utilities – which looks after the reservoir.
It was also confirmed that a HM Coastguard helicopter was requested to attend the scene.
At this time, no formal statement has been made by the police, but Bolton Mountain Rescue Team has taken to social media to update the concerned public on the situation as it unfolds.
Their statement reads: “At 18:28 this evening, the team was contacted by North West Ambulance Service with the report of a person in the water at Jumbles Reservoir, Bolton.
“We worked alongside colleagues from NWAS and their Hazardous Area Response Team, Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service, North West Air Ambulance, National Police Air Service, Lancashire Constabulary, and United Utilities. A HM Coastguard helicopter was also requested.
“A seriously injured male was rescued from within the overflow structure on the reservoir dam and was conveyed to hospital for further treatment.”
According to reports in the MEN, pictures and videos posted on social media showed rope rescue teams along with water rescue units also in attendance, and the emergency response was seen in the main car park off Bradshaw Road.
Further statements and updates on the situation are expected in due course.
Featured Image – David Dixon (Wikimedia Commons / Geograph)
News
Bury primary school teaching assistant jailed after pleading guilty to child sex offences
Emily Sergeant
A teaching assistant from Bury has been sentenced after pleading guilty to multiple sex offences against a ‘vulnerable’ young boy.
Terri Cook, of Masefield Avenue in Radcliffe, appeared at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court last week, where she was sentenced after pleading guilty to eight charges of sexual offences.
The sentencing came after officers from Greater Manchester Police‘s (GMP) Child Protection Investigation Unit (CPIU) began in ‘intense’ investigation into Cook back in September of last year after a member of the public reported seeing her out with a young boy.
The subsequent investigation showed that she had been grooming and manipulating the young boy into engaging in a sexual relationship with her.
Police found numerous messages on Cook’s phone where she had been inciting sexual communications with the boy and holding indecent images of him, and she was also found to have been buying him expensive items, like jewellery and clothing, for a period of more than nine months.
During a powerful statement read out in court, the young boy was described as being ‘extremely kind and caring’, with his mum adding: “Despite experiencing traumatic events earlier in his life, he continued to be positive and compassionate. He smiled every day and made us all laugh.”
Cook was sentenced four-and-a-half years in prison for eight charges of sexual offences.
Speaking following the sentencing, Detective Sergeant Adam Stanfield, from GMP’s Bury CPIU, said: “This case was a horrific example of calculated abuse of power, and Cook targeted a vulnerable child who put his trust in her.
“Grooming is a form of manipulation that can leave lasting emotional and psychological damage, and our priority remains protecting young people and supporting victims as they recover.
“This sentencing also emphasises our unwavering commitment to protecting male victims. They can be victims too and I urge anyone who believes they may have been through anything similar to please report to us.”