A family from Wigan has shared the story of how they managed to save a struggling deer from drowning in a local canal.
Chris Kendall was walking his dogs with his fiancee when he spotted the animal thrashing in the water after it had gotten trapped behind the canal gate, Wigan Today reports.
Asking a passing cyclist to alert the lock keeper – whose cottage was a ten-minute walk away – Chris decided to take action himself to rescue the deer.
He called his dad, Denver, and the duo dived into the water – tying two dog leads together to pull the animal to safety.
What a rescue! The Kendall family leapt into action when they spotted a deer drowning in a Wigan canal pic.twitter.com/DAB4CBx6ym
The deer appeared to be healthy after being lifted from the canal and bounded off into the distance.
ADVERTISEMENT
Speaking to the BBC, Chris said it was “a bit of a relief” when they managed to finally haul the animal onto dry land.
He added that going into the water was “the only option” as the deer was “going to drown”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Chris’ mum – who recorded the rescue on her phone – also spoke about the “lovely” moment the deer was saved.
“I could have just cried,” she said.
“It was like it just sort of looked at us as if to say ‘thank you’. I just hope it found its family.”
Featured image: Magda Ehlers via Pexels
Wigan
Marc Skinner signs new contract to keep him at Manchester United until 2027
Danny Jones
Manchester United Women manager Marc Skinner has signed off on a new deal with the Red Devils, accepting a contract that will see him stay at the club until at least 2027.
Approaching half a decade in charge of Man United’s women’s team, Marc Skinner has now committed his future to the side which helped the club to a historic male and female FA Cup double and qualified for Champions League for the first time.
Confirmed via social media on Wednesday, 2 April, the club shared the news that the 42-year-old has put pen to paper on a new two-year contract with an option to extend for a further 12 months.
His side is also currently third in the WSL, and although Chelsea remain the perennial favourites, they are continuing to push harder for the title each season following their second-placed finish in 22/23.
Speaking on the new deal, Brummy-born Skinner wrote: “It has been an absolute privilege to serve as head coach for this fantastic football club for the past four years, and I am delighted to be extending my time in the role for at least a further two years.
“We’re building a young, hungry team with the aim of challenging consistently for further trophies. There is still more hard work ahead, including this season, but the players and staff have already shown their determination to succeed, and I’m looking forward to us taking the next steps in our journey together.”
The former Birmingham and Orlando Pride head coach has been a somewhat divisive figure around Leigh Sports Village and Old Trafford during his tenure in recent years, with some vocal supporters even calling ‘Skinner Out’ last year.
He was ultimately kept on following the 4-0 thrashing of Spurs in the Women’s FA Cup, but many fans are still unhappy with the amount of progress made under him.
In addition to a lack of silverware throughout his time in charge, with many criticising his tactics, star talents like Alessia Russo, Mary Earps, Nikita Parris, Lucía Garcíaand captain Katie Zelem have all departed during this time. Others just haven’t felt the same since Casey Stoney left back in 2021.
Even gave him a photoshoot. Right wrong on not a significant part of the fan base hates Marc skinner. It’s tone deaf to assume we all celebrate on socials. I would turn the comments off tbh. https://t.co/VIarfUAkoJ
Nevertheless, Marc Skinner is staying for the immediate future, and there are still plenty who back him and the work he’s done, or at least the direction he is looking to go in.
Speaking on the extension, United‘s technical director Jason Wilcox said: “Marc’s record since taking charge speaks for itself, having delivered our first major women’s silverware and firmly established us among the leading teams in the WSL.
“After a major overhaul last summer, we have an exciting, developing squad ready to compete for further success, and we are convinced that Marc is the right coach to lead that process.”
COO Collette Roche went on to insist that “building a successful and popular women’s team is an important part of our wider, football-first strategy for the club” and that they hope Skinner will continue to contribute in placing “Manchester United at the forefront of growth in the women’s game.”
The Lottery Winners champion the ‘working class’ after notching their second number one album
Danny Jones
Another UK Official Charts gold trophy is heading Wigan Way as Leigh’s very own The Lottery Winners have notched another number one album,and you can rest assured these lot will never forget where they came from.
Being awarded the accolade for the second time in the space of just four LPs, the much-loved Greater Manchester band emerged as increasing favourites in the race for the top spot this past week, but nothing is ever certain until the race is run – and thankfully, they crossed the finish line on Friday evening.
Having previously claimed an inaugural number one for their third outing, ART (Anxiety Replacement Therapy), back in April 2023, their presence on the British indie and pop scene has only continued to grow, and they’ve been fittingly rewarded for their efforts.
Not only one of the most popular artists coming out of the region right now but prolific creators and performers, we couldn’t be happier for them. Here’s what happened when they heard the news:
Nevertheless, and annoying nose rings aside, their latest record KOKO (Keep On Keeping On), which dropped on 21 March, not only showcases some of The Lottery Winners‘ best material to date but it’s gone straight to number one.
Including another stunning lineup of special guests including Reverend and The Makers’ Jon McClure, Shed Seven, Nickelback’s Chad Kroeger and Frank Turner for the third time as a featured artist, the album has gone down an instant hit with their fan base and plenty of new listeners too.
Speaking on the massive achievement, bassist Katie Lloyd said: “I hope that people from a background that we’re from can look at what we’ve managed to achieve, with two of these now, and see that you can do it if you work hard and put everything into your dreams.”
Echoing her sentiment, frontman Thom Rylance went on to add: “This is for grassroots music, this is for the working class; this is for Leigh, this is for anybody who has a dream – go out there and get it.
“Make it happen.” Well said, lad.
“Sometimes the path to something like this can seem impossible, but hopefully we’re proof you can do it!” ✊#TheLotteryWinners (@LotteryWinners) have some inspiring words as they celebrate their second Official Number 1 album #KOKO 🏆🌼 pic.twitter.com/HhMi2XEOXb
Even Mayor Andy Burham chipped in, telling the Official Charts Company: “I’ve been a big fan of The Lottery Winners since they started out playing pubs and clubs around Leigh, and I know the whole town will be proud of them today.
“Landing a first Number 1 album was brilliant, but to do it again is something properly special. They’re one of the hardest working bands in the business and they deserve every bit of this success.”
Congratulations again to The Lottery Winners on KOKO and a second UK number one. We’re sure they’ll keep flying the flag for Greater Manchester and Northern music as a whole.
As well as headline dates to come, not to mention supporting the one and only Robbie Williams later this year, they’ve got a big festival season ahead as they’re set to return to the likes of Neighbourhood Weekender, Kendal Calling and more.
Roll on the summer and in the meantime, Keep On Keeping On.