But not every team has received the recognition they deserve.
Stockport County FC – a club that sits seven miles south of Manchester and four tiers below the region’s two top teams – has been hit harder than most by the pandemic.
But they’ve still been doing their bit to help out their local community.
Right at the start of lockdown, The Hatters donated £75,000 at to the Stockport NHS Foundation Trust and have since pledged to donate £3 from every purchase of their new 2020/21 shirt to the trust as well.
ADVERTISEMENT
When the situation is put into perspective, it becomes clear just how significant the contributions from Edgeley Park actually are.
There are plenty of out of contract players in the lower divisions who are at risk of unemployment.
ADVERTISEMENT
Some football clubs may even go under entirely.
Things will only get worse if fans are not allowed into stadiums next season, with many teams relying on ticket sales to keep their clubs running.
That’s why a side in Stockport’s position, making donations in the current climate, is worthy of applause.
Of course, County know what it’s like to go through financial difficulties.
The club struggled throughout the 2000s, eventually being sold in 2005 to the Stockport County Supporter’s Trust for just £1.
The club were later placed into administration in 2009 as their situation failed to improve.
The financial troubles eventually spilled over onto the pitch, with the club sliding down the leagues until they dropped out of the football league entirely in 2011/12 for the first time in their history.
We are excited to kick-off the next chapter at Edgeley Park. Evolved Club badge, kit partnership and a famous Stopfordian celebrating the spirit of the Club. Enjoy the journey. pic.twitter.com/F2AacGkY0u
— Stockport County (at ?) (@StockportCounty) June 1, 2020
Fans nowadays, however, about more positive about the future under new owner, Mark Stott.
ADVERTISEMENT
David, who runs the supporters group @stockport_fans on Twitter, believes the club will be “fine” during this time and has faith in the new owner to do what’s best for the club:
“Mark Stott has the financial punch to keep this club afloat while being sensible,” David tells The Manc.
“He has laid out plans of what he wants to do and achieve already and has put together a team to keep it that way.
“We can survive.”
It’s perhaps no surprise supporters are happy, given that their owner is a longtime fan of the club and recognises the importance of Stockport County to the town.
ADVERTISEMENT
Following the takeover back in January, Stott said that he wanted to deepen the club’s “longstanding ties with the local community”, calling Stockport a “unique community club”.
County clearly haven’t forget how the community supported them during their most “arduous” times, and they have been looking to lend a hand wherever possible during the pandemic.
In recent weeks, Stockport have also been putting the spotlight on their local sponsors.
On the club website, you’ll find a series which aims to “highlight the current operations and offerings of [their] club sponsors during these most difficult of times” in order to “return the favour” for all the support the businesses have given them over the years.
Despite the financial improvements over the past few months, fans are still weighing in to help the club in whatever way they can – backed by community group Help the Hatters.
ADVERTISEMENT
David, a volunteer for Help the Hatters has said the group is all about “getting things done”.
While volunteers primarily provide practical support to help maintain the facilities at Edgeley Park, they’ve also created The Stockport County Museum at the ground – turning an unused space into something useful for the community.
The group has defied its size to make a definite difference over the past decade.
Just last month, they were awarded the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service – which is the highest award a volunteer group can receive in the UK.
Wikipedia
Following their award, Chief Executive for the Hatters, Johnny Vaughan, said: “Ever since I came to County in January, I have been staggered by the amount of work this relatively small group of volunteers achieves on a weekly basis.
ADVERTISEMENT
“This accolade is deserved recognition for everything they do and we are delighted that they are being honoured for their incredible efforts.”
Community is at the heart of Stockport County, but above all else, fans just want to get back to watch their team play.
As Russ Johnson, founder of the fans podcast ‘The Scarf Bergara Wore’, aptly summarised: “County fans are so because we go to the games, we walk the streets and we know our club inside out.
“It doesn’t bear thinking about that we cannot have our match days.”
Sport
Marc Skinner signs new contract to keep him at Manchester United until 2027
Danny Jones
Manchester United Women manager Marc Skinner has signed off on a new deal with the Red Devils, accepting a contract that will see him stay at the club until at least 2027.
Approaching half a decade in charge of Man United’s women’s team, Marc Skinner has now committed his future to the side which helped the club to a historic male and female FA Cup double and qualified for Champions League for the first time.
Confirmed via social media on Wednesday, 2 April, the club shared the news that the 42-year-old has put pen to paper on a new two-year contract with an option to extend for a further 12 months.
His side is also currently third in the WSL, and although Chelsea remain the perennial favourites, they are continuing to push harder for the title each season following their second-placed finish in 22/23.
Speaking on the new deal, Brummy-born Skinner wrote: “It has been an absolute privilege to serve as head coach for this fantastic football club for the past four years, and I am delighted to be extending my time in the role for at least a further two years.
“We’re building a young, hungry team with the aim of challenging consistently for further trophies. There is still more hard work ahead, including this season, but the players and staff have already shown their determination to succeed, and I’m looking forward to us taking the next steps in our journey together.”
The former Birmingham and Orlando Pride head coach has been a somewhat divisive figure around Leigh Sports Village and Old Trafford during his tenure in recent years, with some vocal supporters even calling ‘Skinner Out’ last year.
He was ultimately kept on following the 4-0 thrashing of Spurs in the Women’s FA Cup, but many fans are still unhappy with the amount of progress made under him.
In addition to a lack of silverware throughout his time in charge, with many criticising his tactics, star talents like Alessia Russo, Mary Earps, Nikita Parris, Lucía Garcíaand captain Katie Zelem have all departed during this time. Others just haven’t felt the same since Casey Stoney left back in 2021.
Even gave him a photoshoot. Right wrong on not a significant part of the fan base hates Marc skinner. It’s tone deaf to assume we all celebrate on socials. I would turn the comments off tbh. https://t.co/VIarfUAkoJ
Nevertheless, Marc Skinner is staying for the immediate future, and there are still plenty who back him and the work he’s done, or at least the direction he is looking to go in.
Speaking on the extension, United‘s technical director Jason Wilcox said: “Marc’s record since taking charge speaks for itself, having delivered our first major women’s silverware and firmly established us among the leading teams in the WSL.
“After a major overhaul last summer, we have an exciting, developing squad ready to compete for further success, and we are convinced that Marc is the right coach to lead that process.”
COO Collette Roche went on to insist that “building a successful and popular women’s team is an important part of our wider, football-first strategy for the club” and that they hope Skinner will continue to contribute in placing “Manchester United at the forefront of growth in the women’s game.”
Manchester City’s Nathan Aké donates piano to grassroots music venue
Thomas Melia
Footballer and Manchester City star Nathan Aké has donated a piano to an iconic city centre grassroots venue in Manchester.
To celebrate ‘International Piano Day’, the Dutch defender has teamed up with legendary instrument-makers Casio by donating a state-of-the-art piano in one very lucky music venue.
Aké and Casio are donating pianos across the UK through their joint project titled ‘Playing For Change’.
The iconic grassroots venue that’s receiving this prestigious instrument is none other than Band on the Wall, which has been pumping out live music under this name since 1975.
Processed with VSCO with kp5 presetProcessed with VSCO with kp5 presetCredit: Supplied
This new addition will help the venue as a whole, but more importantly, it will come in very handy for their Saturday Music Club.
Running every weekend, this session helps young people discover music and develop their skills, now via the fantastic PX-S7000 Casio piano.
Band on the Wall is a much-loved and adored Manchester city centremusic institution, and they aren’t the only place benefitting from the Manchester city star and Casio.
So far, 12 disadvantaged schools in the UK have benefitted from this joint effort from Aké and Casio, all of which were surprised with their very own digital piano.
This newest partnership won’t come as a surprise to fans of the Man City centre-back, as he’s been known to play the piano since teaching himself in 2020, and now he’s spreading his love of music to communities nationwide.
Neil Evans, Head of Casio EMI, commented:“It’s exciting for us to support Band on the Wall with a gift of a brand new Privia piano.”
“We’re hoping it’s used often and inspires people into learning the piano and increasing their access to the joys of music, which is at the core of Playing For Change.”
As for Aké, while he might be sidelined for the foreseeable following surgery on a fractured foot, the Netherlands international will hopefully be able to get lots of practice playing those keys.