Prince William and Kate Middleton opened the city’s public memorial dedicated to the victims and families of the Manchester Attack yesterday.
Just weeks ahead of the fifth anniversary of the tragic event that shook the nation to its very core, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge arrived in Manchester city centre yesterday afternoon to officially declare the new Glade of Light memorial – which was first unveiled back at the start of January – open to the public.
The Duke of Cambridge said in a moving speech that “as someone who lives with his own grief”, it is important that the 22 people who lost their lives are not forgotten.
He also called Manchester an “extraordinary place”.
William and Kate attended a short service, before walking around the memorial, where the duchess laid flowers.
ADVERTISEMENT
Relatives of the 22 victims were also said to have cried as a choir sang Halo by Beyonce.
There is comfort in remembering.
In acknowledging that, while taken horribly soon, they lived. They changed our lives. They were loved, and they are loved.
It is why memorials such as the Glade of Light are so important. Why Catherine and I so wanted to be here today. pic.twitter.com/e14xAUzWSt
— The Prince and Princess of Wales (@KensingtonRoyal) May 10, 2022
The Glade of Light has been created next to the Manchester Cathedral as a living memorial.
ADVERTISEMENT
The peaceful garden space is centred around a Hawthorn tree, which will burst into white blooms every year at around the time of the anniversary in May.
A white marble ‘halo’ which is engraved with the names of the 22 people who lost their lives in the attack on 22 May 2017 is the memorial’s centrepiece, and the families of each of the victims have been able to place memory capsules filled with mementos and messages inside the striking halo design.
Prince William said in his speech yesterday: “For Catherine and I, it is very important that we are with you here today.
“To remember the 22 lives so brutally taken, to acknowledge the hundreds of lives that were irrevocably changed, and to pay tribute to the resilience of this great city. I remember only too well the shock and grief on the faces of those I met when I visited Manchester in the days following the atrocity.
“Five years on, I know that the pain and the trauma felt by many has not gone away.”
He added that as someone “who lives with his own grief”, he also knows that “what often matters most to the bereaved is that those we have lost are not forgotten.”
“There is comfort in remembering. In acknowledging that, while taken horribly soon, they lived.
ADVERTISEMENT
“They changed our lives.
“They were loved, and they are loved. It is why memorials such as the Glade of Light are so important. Why Catherine and I so wanted to be amongst you today.”
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”