Yorkshire chef James Martin, famous, amongst other things, for his all-encompassing love of butter, has opened up about a heartbreaking cancer diagnosis.
The celebrity chef, 51, has revealed that he has been diagnosed with cancer on his face and has received several treatments and surgeries.
Speaking out on his cancer diagnosis, Martin revealed to The Sun that he had first been treated in 2018 and had undergone surgery on his face – only for it to return again on “several occasions.”
Responding to leaked audio of a ten-minute tirade directed at crew on his show James Martin’s Saturday Morning in which he reportedly swore over 40 times, he said that it was “one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life”.
He continued: “I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face and I had to have surgery, which I couldn’t do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming.”
“Since then it has returned on several occasions and I have to have regular treatments.”
The blistering recording, which dates back to 2018 but was leaked this week, saw Martin tell staff they should be “f**king fried” as he tells them to spend their lunch break standing up in the “f***ing rain”.
It reportedly came to light after crews filming James Martin’s Spanish Adventure filed complaints about the star’s behaviour, leading to an internal investigation at ITV.
Speaking on the leaked recording, Martin said he “wholly regrets” his angry behaviour and agreed that “lessons have been learned.”
In a statement given to The Sun about the rant, Martin said: “Firstly, I would like to publicly and sincerely apologise to the crew involved in this incident, as I did at the time.
“I have always strived to keep my private life private. However since details of a conversation, which was secretly recorded in January 2018, are now five years later being made public by a former member of our production team, I have decided to make a statement.
“The end of 2017 was one of the most fraught and difficult periods of my life. I was dealing with the death of my last living grandparent, my grandfather, and on account of work commitments I could not attend his funeral.
“Later that month I was burgled at night by a team of masked men, who entered my house while my partner Louise was at home alone and I was away working. I was devastated that she had to go through that alone.
“On top of this I was then diagnosed with cancer on my face and I had to have surgery, which I couldn’t do until two days before Christmas when we had finished filming. Since then it has returned on several occasions and I have to have regular treatments.
“After all this stress I was in a very emotional state, and when after filming in early January 2018 I discovered my home had been flooded while filming, I was extremely upset.
“I can only say I am human and following a build-up of personal life pressure, I admit that I overreacted regarding the damage to my home.”
Featured image – James Martin
Inside One Eight Six as Manchester cocktail bar finally reopens two years after devastating New Year’s Eve fire
One Eight Six, the Manchester cocktail bar that was destroyed in a blaze on New Year’s Eve, is finally ready to reopen.
The stunning subterranean bar and live music venue has been closed since the very early hours of 2022, when a fire broke out shortly after the midnight countdown.
Terrifying CCTV footage at the time showed balloons across the ceiling catching fire and around 170 people fleeing the blaze.
It’s since been confirmed that the cause of the fire was real pine Christmas trees that were fastened to the ceiling, set alight by celebratory sparklers inside the bar.
Ever since that fateful night, One Eight Six has been quiet – until now.
The popular Deansgate bar is finally ready to quite literally rise from the ashes, having undergone an extensive refurbishment.
Its interior was completely destroyed in the New Year’s Eve fire, but has been reborn better than ever before.
Customers will again enter the bar through a barbershop at street level, with in incredible twisting neon light feature hanging from the ceiling.
Then after heading down the stairs you’ll find yourself in an art deco speakeasy, with the stage set for live music until the early hours.
Huge curved velvet booths in shades of pink and red will provide guests with a luxurious night out setting.
One Eight Six has installed opulent black marble floors and glowing light arches too – not to mention a giant ‘One Eight Six’ sign in mirrors.
Walls and pillars have been covered in even more mirrors to reflect the huge mirror ball and stage lights.
Founder Dean Mac said: “After nearly two years, we are finally allowed to be back on our feet giving the people of Manchester what they have been waiting so patiently for.
“Thank you again for sticking with us and supporting our journey this far. This new chapter of ONE EIGHT SIX will be better than ever. Same vibe. Same location. Just a whole lot sexier…”
It’s all looking pretty luxurious – just like before.
One Eight Six will officially open its doors this weekend on Deansgate, with bookings live here.