For 36-year-old Dominic Hespe, who co-owns the cult trainer consignment store Sneaker63 in Chinatown, this summer could potentially be the last he gets to spend with his wife Ellie and three young children Daniella, 18, Raphael, 8, and Ezekiel, 7.
His is a heartbreaking story and one that, sadly, seems to be more common than most people might realise: a late-stage diagnosis, an inoperable cancer, a young family’s life suddenly stopped in its tracks.
Diagnosed late with a rare form of stage 4 bowel cancer in April 2020, Dominic had previously spent more than six months feeling abdominal pain, vomiting after eating, and suffering from severe fatigue.
As his symptoms worsened he got increasingly worried and starting seeking out advice: visiting with GPs, attending several different A&Es, and sourcing further opinions from a number of specialists.
But due to his young age, the true picture was missed by doctors who, on every occasion throughout those long months, checked his vitals and sent him away – putting his symptoms down to what they said at the time must either be a viral or constipation issue.
ADVERTISEMENT
Still, he didn’t stop asking the doctors as he felt quite sure that there was a blockage and so eventually they agreed to have a look, so he went into hospital to be prepped for surgery.
Dom (left) and Jack, founders of Sneaker63 // Photo by Adam Pester
However, when he got there the doctors only did an X-ray, not a CT scan, and decided that he was constipated again so sent him home none the wiser to what was really going on.
ADVERTISEMENT
Still in pain and unsatisfied that his doctors were giving him the right advice, Dominic booked another GP visit where he asked again for a CT scan – only to be told that he didn’t need one.
Instead, he was advised that it may take up to five months and 12 laxative drinks per day to clear the blockage.
He gave it a go but after a month of trying the recommended laxatives, he found that the pain was worsening and he became so poorly that, finally, a surgeon was willing to do a CT scan.
ADVERTISEMENT
It was only at that point, on April 1, 2020, that Dominic was finally diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer before being rushed into surgery the very next day.
After a long surgery in which surgeons had hoped to remove the cancer, it was sadly decided that this would not be possible as by then it had already spread to the lining of his abdominal organs and through the wall of his bowel.
At this point, Dominic was told that he would be living with inoperable, incurable bowel cancer and immediately sent for chemotherapy to help prolong his life.
A rare Sean Wotherspoon at Sneaker63 // Photo by Adam Pester
In May 2020 he started his first course of chemo, shielding for most of the pandemic as best as he could whilst contacting every surgeon in the country for second opinions.
His wife, Ellie, says that so far, things have not changed significantly enough for surgery to remove the cancer, but that he is still being treated with targeted therapy for his specific mutation.
ADVERTISEMENT
A beloved figure within Manchester’s sneaker trading community, throughout his ten-plus year career selling high-end and super rare sneakers he’s been an inspiration to so many young people coming up and starting their own businesses.
He’s also helped a lot of people out of tight spots over the years, using his expert trainer knowledge to help Sneaker63 customers spot some very convincing-looking fakes and avoid getting scammed.
So when his wife’s mother Gail Frampton launched a crowd funder at the start of July to enable Dominic and his young family to make some lasting memories with the time that he has left, tributes absolutely poured in from the wider community – leading them to smash their original £5,000 target within just three days.
One donor said: “Lost for words. Met him on a few occasions and made me feel so welcome in the store and in Manchester. Good guy”
Another added: “Dom gave me a fantastic opportunity at sneaker63, hearing this was hard I wish him and his family all the best”
ADVERTISEMENT
A third said: “You’re the reason a lot of us got into this shoe business a fair few years ago when we first met and you’ve helped us all out massively in the past. 💙 sending my best wishes.”
Another commented: “Praying for a miracle healing.”
https://www.instagram.com/p/CEKjFmXhbBK/
Sadly, Dominic’s story is a common occurrence among younger people diagnosed with the disease – due in large part to the fact that doctors simply don’t expect to see younger people with the illness.
This is in large part because invitations for bowel screening don’t start until you’re between the ages of fifty and sixty, but now there are growing calls to move screening ages forward as evidence mounts suggesting that a significant proportion of younger people are being diagnosed too late.
According to research by Bowel Cancer UK, roughly 2,500 younger people are diagnosed with bowel cancer in the UK every year and four in ten of those had to visit their GP with complaints three or more times before being referred on for further tests.
ADVERTISEMENT
This is most likely why the doctors that saw Dominic did not pick up on his symptoms early enough.
Now, he and his family want to help raise awareness amongst others to stop other young people from going through the heartache they themselves have suffered.
“Our next stage is to highlight how younger people can get bowel cancer and that they are often misdiagnosed as Dominic was,” said Gail Frampton, Dominic’s mother-in-law.
“It may have been a different outcome. Dom’s cancer is very rare and a tricky type. He has had three lots of chemo now, he has been so brave.”
There’s much work to be done, according to Bowel Cancer UK’s ‘Never Too Young’ campaign – first launched in 2013.
ADVERTISEMENT
A recent survey by the group that spoke directly with young people living with the disease found that one in five younger patients with bowel cancer does not have access to a Clinical Nurse Specialist (CNS), whilst many said they had experienced varying levels of support at different points in their diagnosis, treatment, and care.
The survey also found that nearly half of those diagnosed with bowel cancer after 2017 hadn’t been offered testing for Lynch syndrome, also something of concern for Dominic’s family.
Jack and Dom (right) at Sneaker63 // @sneaker63official
“One of the other worries is this cancer may be hereditary,” said Gail, grandmother to Dominic’s three children.
“At first we were worried it might be Lynch syndrome, which would cast a shadow over the health of their young children.
“We have been told it isn’t this but the boys will need to be checked in late teens or early adulthood.”
ADVERTISEMENT
For now, though, the family is also trying to make the most of all the time they have left together.
They’ve got plans to use the money raised from the Crowdfunder to make special memories here in the UK – Gail says that they feel they may not be able to go abroad due to the cost of travel insurance, so instead they are looking at doing a visit to Centre Parcs and other easily accessible places.
It’s also important for the family that wherever they go, there’s an option for a resting place on days out as some days Dominic finds he is more unwell than others.
Ultimately, all they really want is for his kids to look back with positive, healthy memories of their dad in his final days – and to help educate others so they don’t have to suffer the same fate.
At the time of writing, the Crowdfunder for Dominic is at £6,500. If you want to make a donation to help the family create lasting happy memories together in these difficult times, you can do so here.
News
New record-breaking £8.72m ride opens at Blackpool Pleasure Beach
Emily Sergeant
The day has finally arrived… the UK’s tallest ride is now open to the public.
After first being announced back in May 2025, thrill-seekers have been hotly anticipating the arrival of Blackpool Pleasure Beach‘s newest ride, Aviktas, for the past year – and now, the time has come, as passengers have travelled from across the country to be among the first to experience the adrenaline-pumping spectacle.
Not for the faint of heart, Aviktas launches its riders 138 feet into the air while reaching angles of up to 120 degrees.
Now officially open at the iconic Lancashire seaside theme park, Aviktas has became the largest ride of its kind in the UK – almost doubling the size of the previous tallest, Maelstrom at Drayton Manor.
Blackpool Pleasure Beach’s newest £8.72m ride is now open / Credit: Supplied
The jaw-dropping new ride features a unique design that’s been engineered to ‘maximise thrills’.
According to its creators, Aviktas’ restraints create a sense of freedom leaving its riders feeling weightless as they soar towards its 138 foot peak.
Pleasure Beach has invested £8.72m into the attraction, marking it as its biggest single investment in eight years.
Aviktas is now the tallest rollercoaster of its kind in the UK / Credit: Supplied
“Pleasure Beach has always had a reputation for going big and pushing boundaries, and Aviktas is no exception,” commented Amanda Thompson OBE, who is the CEO of Pleasure Beach Resort.
“Its sheer size and presence speaks for itself, there is simply nothing like it in the UK. We wanted to build something that sets us apart from anywhere else and gives our guests a genuine must-visit reason to come to the park.
“This project is another reminder of our commitment to making Pleasure Beach one of the world’s greatest theme parks.”
Aviktas is now open at Blackpool Pleasure Beach.
Featured Image – Supplied
News
The Man City Parade 2025/26 – route, timings, ‘The After Party’, performers and more
Danny Jones
After Man City became just the second team in English football history to win a domestic cup double, the Blues will once again be taking over Manchester city centre for a parade to mark the end of the 2025/26 campaign.
They may not have won the league this time, but it’s still another pair of trophies to add to the cabinet.
More importantly, with club legends Bernardo Silva, John Stones, and perhaps even Pep Guardiola (we’ll have to wait and see) leaving after a decade at the club this summer, ‘Cityzens’ will be coming from all over Greater Manchester to honour yet another memorable silverware-laden term.
With that in mind, we’ve put together a list of everything important you need to know ahead of the blue half of Manchester’s post-season celebrations.
Man City parade 25/26 – all the key info
When does it start and end?
For starters, for those wondering what the start time is for the latest City parade, this year’s event will be building up from around 4pm and finishing at approximately 6:30pm this coming bank holiday Monday, 25 June.
The last parade was ‘Fourmidable’.Credit: Press shot (supplied)/The Manc
Man City parade route for 2026
As for where the jubilation will be running from and to this time, they’re moving over to the Northern Quarter before the parade procession itself passes through Ancoats and towards their home stadium.
The open-top buses themselves will set off around 5pm, heading towards the Etihad Campus from Ashton New Road, before arriving at the Colin Bell Stand reception.
For those unable to journey elsewhere/just looking to enjoy from one spot, supporters will also be able to watch the full build-up and parade in its entirety on the big screens outside the ground from 4pm onwards, with an accessible viewing area and subtitles available, too.
Accessibility options
Great Ancoats Street (near the start of the parade route)
A designated area for wheelchair users and ambulant disabled supporters and companions.
Street-level area is free, with access on a first-come, first-served basis; stewards on hand to help.
Colin Bell Stand
Elevated platform available for wheelchair users and ambulant disabled supporters who would struggle to stand in the crowd.
Again, first-come, first-served.
Travel advice and parking info
Parking at the Etihad Stadium itself is only available for those with a ticket for the official ‘After Party’ event; however, there are free spots available at park and ride sites such as Ashton Moss, Ashton West, and Ladywell. You can find a full list of locations HERE.
Fans are encouraged to use public transport where possible, with Bee Network buses and trams running throughout the city and towards East Manchester.
Check out the Etihad’s dedicated travel and transport page for more guidance, and/or watch our guide on how to get to the Co-op Live down below.
Speaking of carrying on after the main event, ‘The After Party’ at Co-op Live and the surrounding area is also an option for Blues looking to have a ball – pun intended.
Besides the parade, the fun will also be getting underway at the same time over in the massive industry-leading arena next door to City’s home ground, doors opening from as early as 3pm.
Final entry into the venue itself is set at 5pm, with players set to head over and join in with the drinks, jubilation and big energy tunes once the parade finishes around 6:30pm.
On the subject of music, fans are also being treated to a live performance from none other than the much-loved Manc band, Doves, who will be playing a special in-person set, due to wrap up at 8pm.
Indie rock favourites Doves will be amongst the outstanding performers on a night to remember! 🎶
Join us at ‘The After Party’ on Monday 25 May at Co-op Live. 🙌
You can find all the details regarding general admission tickets, as well as VIP and hospitality packages, right HERE.
What else is on around the City parade?
For those looking to take in any extra festivities or even just some food and drink during the few hours you’ll be out singing ‘Blue Moon’, you’ll be glad to hear that a number of local institutions will also be getting involved.
As well as Northern Quarter favourites BAB offering their £10 lunch deal (12-3pm every day), happy hour deals, AND a small plates offer (Monday-Thursday, 4-7pm; Fridays from 4pm until close), fellow NQ neighbours, The Pen and Pencil, are also opening for the day to help host any crowd overspill.
Perhaps most notably, however, an official Man City pop-up will be opening in the city centre in the days leading up to the parade itself – so, for anyone who can’t make it on the bank holiday Monday, you can still spend at least part of your long weekend drinking in the splendour.
If you’re wondering what exactly this is going to be like, look no further…
Moreover, MCFC’s under-18s squad won a historic FA Youth Cup with their Manchester derby win earlier this month, too, making it multiple landmark results across the board.
With that in mind, this year’s Man City trophy parade and After Party looks set to be a more all-encompassing one than ever.
Judging by the scenes for the likes of the last Treble, you won’t want to miss it.