One of Manchester’s most beloved independent shops has announced it is closing its doors at the end of January.
Sharing the news in a post on social media this morning, the team behind quirky Northern Quarter boutique Oklahoma revealed that the physical store will shut on 31 January.
Going forward, co-owners Yaw Djang and Nicola revealed they will instead run Oklahoma as an online-only shop.
Writing that the last three years ‘have been ones of upheaval and change’, the announcement said that Covid brought both ‘problems and opportunities’ – giving the team time to focus on expanding Oklahoma’s online offering and to explore ‘new creative focus and ideas.’
It added that, as a result of improving their online offering during lockdown, they were able to ‘reach lots of new customers all over the UK and abroad’ and ever since have been ‘juggling two businesses’.
ADVERTISEMENT
As a result, the post said that now felt like ‘the perfect time to close our physical shop’ and instead focus all their energy on the website offering.
Image: Oklahoma
Image: Oklahoma
The post continued: “Having a physical shop has been an absolute blast and has brought me so much joy! As those who have followed our journey will know, it’s had so many different guises over so many years.
ADVERTISEMENT
“It’s been a pleasure working with so many beloved staff members, many of whom I’m still in regular contact with all over the world!
“And of course, BIG love to all you wonderful customers who have visited the shop over the years!
“I am excited about this next step for me, and for the business. I can’t wait to bottle all the best colourful bits of Oklahoma and continue to showcase our brand along with all the great finds on okla.co.uk.”
Since the announcement was made this morning, Oklahoma’s social media has been flooded with messages of love and support from customers who’ve enjoyed shopping there over the past twenty-five years.
One person wrote: “Happy for you and totally get it. Sad for the retail side of the NQ. Will call in before you close. Xx”
Image: Oklahoma
Image: Oklahoma
Another person said: “Awww Nicola, truly the end of an era. Working at Oklahoma totally changed my life in the best possible way so many thankyous and lots of great memories of the caff from me! Big love to you&all your fam.”
A third added: “Thank you for being the funnest and brightest shop I’ve ever known; the shop my kids ALWAYS beg to go to if we make a trip to Manchester. The shop that would ALWAYS bring a smile to the most rubbish of days. A true joy to have had the pleasure of losing an hour in while viewing the weird and the wonderful. Thank you!”
ADVERTISEMENT
A fourth commented: “I’ve followed you guys for ages from down here on the south coast, and I’m so happy I eventually got to actually visit. It seems so sad, but it’s a really wise and game changing decision. Wishing you loads of love and luck”
The store itself has been open for over two decades, selling everything from quirky jewellery and wall hangings to cactus lemon juicers, gnome lamps and Guadalupe statues.
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”