Manchester City Council has shut down the Burnage cafe at the centre of a police investigation following a scuffle between an officer and the venue owner.
A Closure Order for Kate & Luc was issued at Manchester Magistrates’ Court this week – with the cafe described as ‘the source of frequent complaints from the public to the Council and Greater Manchester Police over failures to follow COVID-19 restrictions.’
Owners have been told to close until May 9 and pay legal costs of £3,586.52.
The council said that breaches at the cafe date back to November 2020, with staff previously refusing to wear masks or put up protective screens; making ‘no effort’ to enforce social distancing.
Two separate Fixed Penalty Notices were issued in early February, along with a Premises Closure Warning.
But the cafe continued to operate and has officially been closed down after the ‘disorder’ last weekend (February 6).
Police arrived at the venue on Burnage Lane on Sunday afternoon following reports of people gathering, and within hours videos surfaced on social media showing a man being escorted out of the cafe and a struggle breaking out on the street, with bystanders accusing the officer of swinging a punch.
The incident has since been referred to GMP’s Professional Standards Branch.
A total of 14 fines were distributed at the scene for breaches of coronavirus regulations and one man was arrested.
Councillor Rabnawaz Akbar, Executive Member for Neighbourhoods for Manchester City Council, said: “The behaviour of the owners of this café has gone so far beyond what is acceptable the closure of this premises was the only route left open for us to go down.”
He added: “While hundreds of other businesses have adapted and put in place procedures to keep their customers safe, the same cannot be said for Kate and Luc’s.
“They have shown a disregard for methods proven to slow the rate of COVID transmission and have verbally abused our officers as well as the police when they have been challenged. We have a diverse and dedicated staff who do not deserve this when simply doing their jobs.
“This could not be allowed to continue and I am appreciative of the work done by our Compliance Officers, our legal team and our colleagues in Greater Manchester Police for their work in securing this closure.”
Manchester music store Forsyth is giving away free music lessons
Manchester music store Forsyth is giving away a host of free music lessons next month in a bid to inspire people to learn a new instrument, or pick up an old one.
The store is giving new and returning musicians a chance to receive a 10–15-minute free music taster session as part of its Music for All Learn to Play ’22 event.
Taking place across 8 and 9 October between 10am-5pm (8 October) and 1130am-30pm (9 October),short taster music lessons will allow all ages and abilities to have a musical experience that could turn into a lifetime of enjoyment, or even a new career.
Speaking on the free music lesson initiative, Emma from Forsyths said: “The past two years have shown how important music is to all our lives and how it can bring people together even in the most difficult of circumstances.
“We aim to help as many people as possible understand the unique joys and benefits of learning an instrument (or taking part in a choir).
“Anyone interested in learning to play an instrument or looking to pick it up again, should come and join us for this two-day celebration of music making.
“We’re delighted to be part of Music for All’s Learn to Play ’22 event, and we can’t wait to get started.”
OBE Jools Holland, Patron of Music for All, said: “Making music is very important to me. It’s my work, my pleasure, my friend, companion and therapist.
The charity Music for All believes passionately in the unique power of music to change lives and that is why it runs Learn to Play.
Music for All believes everyone should have equal access to music making.
The charity supports disadvantaged music makers by providing cash grants for tuition and instruments and by donating instruments directly.
Celebrated author Dame Hilary Mantel has died ‘suddenly yet peacefully’ aged 70
Dame Hilary Mantel has died aged 70.
The unexpected passing of the critically-acclaimed author whose celebrated career spans nearly five decades has just been announced by her agents 4th Estate Books and her publishing team at HarperCollins in two separate statements released this morning – who confirmed that she died “suddenly yet peacefully”.
The Glossop-born writer was famed for historical fiction work, and was most-known for being the author of the beloved Wolf Hall trilogy.
The statement by her agents confirming her passing reads: “We are heartbroken at the death of our beloved author, Dame Hilary Mantel, and our thoughts are with her friends and family, especially her husband, Gerald.
“This is a devastating loss and we can only be grateful she left us with such a magnificent body of work.”
Mantel’s publishers HarperCollins called her “one of the greatest English novelists of this century”.
The company’s statement reads: “It is with great sadness that AM Heath and HarperCollins announce that bestselling author Dame Hilary Mantel DBE died suddenly yet peacefully yesterday, surrounded by close family and friends, aged 70.
“Hilary Mantel was one of the greatest English novelists of this century and her beloved works are considered modern classics.
Mantel has twice been awarded the Booker Prize, the first time for the 2009 novel Wolf Hall, a fictional account of Thomas Cromwell’s rise to power in the court of Henry VIII, and secondly for the 2012 novel Bring Up the Bodies, the second instalment of the Cromwell trilogy.
She was the first woman, and fourth person, to receive the award twice.