The bereaved daughter of a Wigan man who died just a few days before the alleged Downing Street ‘drinks party’ has called for the Prime Minister to resign.
55-year-old Shaun Brady from Hindley died just four days before the “bring your own booze” garden party hosted at 10 Downing Street on 20 May 2020 after having contracted COVID-19 on the way to his job as a key worker at the Kraft Heinz factory in Wigan, despite him being fit and healthy and his family doing “everything they could” to keep him safe during lockdown.
Now, his daughter Hannah Brady has been speaking out to share her emotional story, saying that Prime Minister Boris Johnson is “a walking public health hazard” and that there is a “moral duty” for him to be removed.
Hannah said her dad’s death certificate was signed on the day the government “partied”.
“Key workers like my dad who died during the pandemic because he went to work to serve this country did not break the rules and paid the ultimate price,” she told the BBC.
ADVERTISEMENT
She also revealed in an appearance on BBC Breakfast this morning that the Prime Minister had “got five minutes more to socialise and ‘bring his own booze’ than I did for my dad’s funeral”, which was just 20-minutes long.
"He got 5 minutes more to socialise and 'bring his own booze' than I did for my dad's funeral"
Hannah Brady's dad Shaun died days before the Downing St garden party.
Ms Brady’s calls for the Prime Minister’s resignation of course come after on Monday, ITV published a leaked email from Mr Johnson’s principal private secretary, Martin Reynolds, which appeared to invite 100 staff to “socially distanced drinks in the No 10 garden” at a time when lockdown rules in England banned large outdoor gatherings from taking place.
ADVERTISEMENT
The invitation encouraged people to “make the most of the lovely weather” after what had been an “incredibly busy period”.
After garnering mass critique for refusing to confirm or deny the existence of the event for several days post the surfacing of the leaked email, Mr Johnson yesterday confirmed his attendance and publicly apologised to MPs during what was heated Prime Minister’s Questions (PMQs) in the House of Commons yesterday.
Mr Johnson said that he “takes responsibility” for the gathering, but continued to say he believed it was “a work event”, and in hindsight, should have sent everyone back inside.
Hannah told ITV she felt “sick” at the idea the Prime Minister was “making the most of the lovely weather” while her father’s death certificate was being signed.
Ms Brady’s story was highlighted in the House of Commons by Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer during PMQs, who described the Prime Minister as a “man without shame”, before telling MPs: “Her father died just days before the drinks trolley was being wheeled through Downing Street, and last year Hannah met the Prime Minister in the Downing Street garden.
“She looked the Prime Minister in the eye and told him of her loss.
“The Prime Minister told Hannah he had done everything he could to protect her dad.
ADVERTISEMENT
"The PM is a man without shame", says Sir Keir Starmer, as he recounts the story of Hannah Brady's father who died with #COVID19. He asks Boris Johnson, 'do you understand why it makes her feel sick to think about the way you've behaved?'https://t.co/eG4ufHEz5tpic.twitter.com/Tnk6GWU4jz
“Looking back, what Hannah told me last night was she realises the Prime Minister had partied in that same garden the very day her dad’s death certificate was signed, so what Hannah wants to know is this – does the Prime Minister understand why it makes her feel sick to think about the way he’s behaved?”
Mr Johnson then replied: “I sympathise deeply with Hannah, with people who have suffered up and down this country during the pandemic, and I repeat that I wish things had been done differently on that evening, and I repeat my apology for all the misjudgments that may have been made, that were made on my watch in No 10 and across the government.
“I want to reassure the people of this country, including Hannah and her family, that we have been working to do everything we can to protect her and her family.”
In a heartfelt statement responding to the Prime Minister, Hannah – who is also a spokesperson for campaign group Covid-19 Bereaved Families for Justice – said: “The Prime Minister’s lies have finally caught up with him.
“Not content with kicking bereaved families like mine in the teeth by breaking the rules he set and then lying to us about it, he’s now taking the British public for fools by pretending he ‘didn’t know it was a party’. Every time he lies to us, he pours more salt into the wounds of those who have already lost so much to this pandemic, but that doesn’t stop him.”
ADVERTISEMENT
"An apology needs to come from someone sincere, owning up to something they've done before they get caught"
Hannah Brady's dad Shaun died just days before the Downing Street garden party.
“He’s incapable of telling the truth and he needs to go,” Hannah continued.
“The Prime Minister is now a walking public health hazard, who has lost the trust, respect and good faith of the public.
“If restrictions are needed to protect lives in the future, people will simply laugh at him. He has no moral authority and will cost lives. He has broken his own rules and if he had any decency, he would now resign, rather than hide behind an internal ‘inquiry’.
“If he doesn’t, his MPs should remove him – they have a moral duty to do so.”
Beloved plant-based independent street food business Herbivorous is set to close imminently
Danny Jones
We hate writing this, but we have news of yet another local hospitality closure as beloved Manchester-born and pioneering plant-based brand Herbivorous has confirmed they’ll soon be calling it a day.
If you can hear us sighing through the screen, apologies – we’re just getting really fed up of saying farewell to our favourites, so god knows how rubbish those involved feel.
As you can see, the team behind the multi-location vegan street food specialists began by writing: “It’s a long one so stay with me… It seems you can’t open social media at the moment without reading about another hospitality business closing down.
“Throughout 8 years of Herbivorous years we’ve come up against many challenges from Covid 5 years ago to watching all the big vegan brands from London and beyond come to Manchester and largely disappear again to the closure of Hatch our busiest site, but with continually increasing costs its becoming really difficult to maintain a thriving business.”
Herbivorous started out life back in 2016 as a cult hit at the old outdoor food, drink and entertainment hub centring around a ‘container village’, the first of its kind in the city and soon to reopen under new owners and a new name.
Since then, co-founders Robyn and Damian have gone on to expand not just to one permanent site over in Withington but with outposts in Sheffield and York, having gained a strong reputation with stalls and pop-ups all over.
Their hospitality story might not have the ending we personally would hope for, but it’s been a brilliant one for so many foodie fans – us lot included.
Nevertheless, they go on to add in the emotional statement that external pressures such as a recent bereavement and their own ever-growing family have also contributed to the decision which, despite being an understandably hard one, “feel like the right time.”
“We are so incredibly proud of how far we’ve come from spending long days slinging duck wraps from our green vintage horse box at festivals to three Herbi locations across the North of England”, they continue, “and with that we’ve also met so many fantastic people!”
“Whether you worked for us at a few festivals over [the] summer or for years at our restaurant, we just wanted to say and massive thank you! The memories will stay with us forever and, of course, how can we not mention our fabulous customers!
“Thank you all so much for choosing Herbivorous over the years. Those of you who had our food at Festivals and then found us at one of our permanent locations, those of you who came back week after week to Hatch, Spark, Withington and beyond.”
They signed off by detailing their final business days, with their Sheffield Kommune spot having already shut for refurbishment; meanwhile, their spot in SPARK York will be wrapping up on Saturday, 19 April.
As for their flagship brick-and-mortar venue here in Greater Manchester, Herbivorous Withington will be shutting on Friday, 25 April.
Once again, there’s nothing we can say other than thank you for years of delicious food, that we’re guttted to see you go, and that everyone at The Manc Group wishes you the best whatever comes next.
AJ Tracey is playing a VERY intimate gig in Manchester next month
Thomas Melia
London rapper and respected grime artist AJ Tracey is ‘live and direct’ once again, announcing a whole host of UK dates, one of which is a rather intimate gig right here in Manchester.
It’s official: one of UK rap’s leading gents is getting back on the road and he’s showing a ‘Little More Love’ to lots of cities, including Manchester.
In a post on the UK star’s socials, AJ Tracey trades his music persona for that of a sports pundit as he announces the dates for his upcoming tour while impersonating an F1 commentator.
Anyone looking to attend Tracey’s ‘Not Even A Tour’ can catch the star up and down the country on his over 20-date tour with a stop in Manchester as soon as this month.
The rapper has reached phenomenal heights since dropping the unforgettable ‘Ladbroke Grove’ in 2019 and is heading out across the nation to make sure everyone knows about it.
Get ready to spit bars left and right as this rapper’s discography is stacked with serious tunes like ‘Dinner Guest’, ‘West Ten’, ‘Thiago Silva’ and more.
More recently, he collaborated with Walsall’s finest Jorja Smith for a flirty garage beat also known as ‘Crush’ with the video being the two artists talking it out in a good old fashioned caff.
The latest collaboration with Smith marks the start of a new era for Mr. Live and direct as it fell in line with the announcement of his third studio album.
Titled Don’t Die Before You’re Dead, we’re sure he’ll be “building a vibe” wherever he goes and probably previewing a few exclusive tracks from his upcoming project too.
This gig may come as quite a surprise for any hardcore fans of the ‘Ladbroke Grove’ star as the venue in which he’s performing is definitely intimate only, holding just over 250 guests.
This rap giant is bringing his unbelievable beats to none other than the legendary small-cap city centre live music venue, The Deaf Institute, at the end of this month.
It’s safe to say you won’t get many more chances, if any, to see him in such a tight-knit space again.
AJ Tracey is bringing ‘Not Even A Tour’ to Deaf Institute in Manchester on 30 April, with tickets on sale Friday 4 April from 12 noon.