A former pub landlord has been jailed for 21 years after carrying out a series of sexual assaults on four young girls.
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed today that Carl Marland – who was the former landlord of The Chequers pub in Ilford, London – was convicted of more than 20 offences in October 2021 after a trial at Manchester Crown Court, and was subsequently jailed for 21 years yesterday (24 May 2022).
Among the charges that Marland was found guilty of were three counts of rape, three counts of causing or inciting a child to engage in sexual activity, and secretly filming one of the girls while she undressed.
He was also found guilty of multiple counts of supplying class B and class C drugs.
The court heard how the 58-year-old would travel to Manchester from London most weeks from June 2020 to December 2020 to visit the girls – who were aged between eight to 16 at the time – to carry out his attacks, and he would groom them by giving them gifts of clothes and money, as well as drugs and alcohol.
ADVERTISEMENT
Marland was even found to have set up a bank account for one of the girls and transferred around £3,000 to her.
He would drive the girls around in his car, where much of the abuse took place, GMP said.
ADVERTISEMENT
Greater Manchester Police says it became aware of Marland when one of the girls’ mothers found inappropriate messages from him on her phone in November 2020, and detectives from GMP Rochdale’s Child Sexual Exploitation Team then worked closely with officers from the Metropolitan Police to co-ordinate Marland’s arrest on 27 January 2021.
Carl Marland was convicted of more than 20 offences in October 2021 after a trial at Manchester Crown Court yesterday / Credit: Wikimedia Commons
“Marland spent the majority of 2020 travelling from London to Manchester in order to commit these offences, some of which are the most serious offences against children,” explained Detective Constable Andrew Sanderson, from GMP’s Child Sexual Exploitation Team.
“These crimes have had a huge detrimental impact on his victims and their families, and he has essentially stolen their childhoods.
ADVERTISEMENT
“I would like to praise the victims’ bravery in reporting these crimes.
“Hopefully following this sentencing they can have some closure and begin to move on and rebuild their lives.”
Given the horrific circumstances of this sentencing, Greater Manchester Police is also keen to remind people who may know someone who has been raped or sexually assaulted that they need not suffer in silence, and they can report it to the police or a support agency so that they can get the help and support they need.
A number of services, including Saint Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre, Greater Manchester Rape Crisis, and Survivors Manchester, are currently available to provide support across the region.
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”