The UK government has been recommended to raise the legal age for buying cigarettes by one year every year until no one can get them.
The recommendation has come from an independent review – which has been commissioned by Health Secretary Sajid Javid and led by former Barnardo’s CEO, Dr Javed Khan OBE – that has been published today and aims to launch England into its “smoke free” future by the goal of 2030, which would mean that fewer than 5% of the adult population smokes.
The plans would create a “smokefree generation”, with people under a certain age eventually unable to buy cigarettes and other tobacco products at all in their lifetime.
Despite the goal initially set out, the “landmark review” found that England is currently on track to miss its smokefree 2030 target “by at least 7 years”, with the poorest areas in society not meeting it until 2044.
This is why it has been recommended that the cigarette purchase age be raised each year.
Outlining the recommendations to the government in his review released this morning, Dr Javed Khan CEO wrote: “Smoking kills and ruins lives.
ADVERTISEMENT
“But it doesn’t have to be like that.
The UK government has been recommended to raise the legal age for buying cigarettes by one year every year / Credit: lilartsy | Blogging Guide (via Unsplash)
“By commissioning this review, the government sent out a powerful message that the status quo is not acceptable. I have taken on that challenge and responded with recommendations that are as comprehensive as they are bold – anything less would have been an abdication of my duty.
“We now need to make it as hard as possible to smoke, and as easy as possible to quit, leading to a smokefree generation.”
ADVERTISEMENT
He added: “To truly achieve a smokefree society in this great country of ours, smoking should be obsolete. I cannot, in all conscience, endorse a strategy that settles for anything less, so I am asking the government to go further than its current ambitions. It needs to go faster. It needs to be bolder.
“It needs to do more to protect future generations from this highly addictive and deadly product.
It’s part of a review that aims to launch England into its “smoke free” future by 2030 / Credit: Pawel Czerwinski (via Unsplash)
“Along the way, the government should do all it can to dissuade the tobacco industry from selling tobacco products.
“The ambition for tackling smoking should aim for ‘net zero’ – to make smoking obsolete.”
Some of the other recommendations outlined in the review include the promotion of vaping over smoking, increasing investment by £125 million per year to reach the government’s 2030 target – including £70 million annually in stop smoking services.
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”