One of Manchester’s most popular beer bars has confirmed its closure, leaving locals ‘gutted’.
Rumours have been swirling about the future of The Brink, which never reopened after lockdown, for months.
The subterranean drinking den on Bridge Street has now confirmed what many suspected – the bar won’t be returning.
In a post shared across social media, the team said they were ‘really sad’ about the closure.
The bar was famed for its selection of local real ale, only pouring beers that had been brewed within 25 miles of the bar itself.
It also had renowned street artist Qubek paint a mural of bees on the stairs down to the venue.
The Brink has been largely silent on social media since the pandemic shuttered hospitality back in March 2020.
Their last update was in June of that year, shortly before the first lockdown ended, where they wrote: “As we’ve heard this arvo, boozers are set to reopen. We don’t feel we can do what WE do, while social distancing is the guidance. Y’know us – Sociable and jovial AR.
“When we feel it’s safe for customers and staff, we’ll be back. Make no mistake. Until then, stay safe. BrinkSquad.”
But The Brink has now broken its silence, saying: “We know there’s been a bit of chatter recently, but we wanted to say hello and for this to come from us.
“Now that we’re allowed to discuss matters, The Brink won’t be returning and we’re really sad about that.”
They went on to encourage their followers to share memories of the bar, writing: “We wanted to close our chapter remembering the beer we supped, the friends we made and the mischief caused ’neath 65 Bridge Street.
“We’re going to share some pics before the accounts close for good, so please join in with yours.
“Fancy a drink? I remember a place called The Brink.
“Stay jovial as fuck. BRINKSQUAD.”
Hundreds have responded over the weekend lamenting the loss of the ‘perfect’ little bar, which first opened in 2016.
One person wrote: “Really sad to see The Brink close, easily my favourite pub in Manchester…OK who am I kidding my favourite pub full stop. All the best for the future guys.”
Another commented: “We loved The Brink, thanks for many many good nights. Good luck with whatever the future brings.”
Someone else shared: “Loved the warm welcome, good ale and the Manchester eggs I used to stash in my handbag for the end of the night.”
A fan of The Brink said: “I’m gutted about this. Was easily the best place for me in Manchester. Staff were always awesome. Steve was an amazing knowledgeable guy on the subject of beer.”
Over on Instagram, someone said: “My best memory of your place ( apart from the beer ) 2 mates and I me way more pissed than them emerged from the gas lamp walked across the road. . Somehow I convinced door staff I was fine ( my mates were ) I was leathered. Having conned their trust to gain entry I proceeded to fall from top to bottom of your stairs. Bonus was , got to spend the night in a great bar, drinking great ale!!!”
Another wrote: “A welcome break was a Thursday pie and a pint for lunch in the Brink. Sorry Covid killed a lovely venue off and hope you are all doing new enjoyable things that keep the wolf from the door. Bloody good job I left that job during lockdown wouldn’t be the same going back 🙂 Stay well guys.”
Featured image: Facebook, The Brink MCR
Amber heat-health warning issued as temperatures drop across the North West
An amber health warning has been issued for the North West and other regions as temperatures continue to drop across the country.
With temperatures expected to reach as low as -5C by Friday, 29 November, the Met Office and UKHSA pushed out an amber heat-health alert on Wednesday, with the elderly, clinically vulnerable and the health sector in general said to be those most at risk.
Although the freezing weather obviously has the potential to affect everyone — with the likes of the North East and Northern Ireland having already been given a yellow weather warning as well — amber heat-health warnings are deemed to require an ‘enhanced response‘ as they are likely to significantly impact “across the whole health service” and possibly other sectors too.
Under the relatively new CHA (cold-health alert) system, anything beyond a yellow level alert means that it is expected that there will be increased use of healthcare services by vulnerable populations and an increase in risk to health to individuals over the age of 65, those with pre-existing health conditions, including respiratory and cardiovascular diseases and other vulnerable groups like rough sleepers.
As well as the Met Office offering their verdict, the UKHSA’s Head of Extreme Events and Health Protection, Dr Agostinho Sousa, said: “With a risk of widespread overnight frosts and some snow across the country this week, it’s important to check in on the wellbeing of those most vulnerable to the cold.
“Cold weather can have a serious impact on health, particularly older people, and those with pre-existing health conditions, as it increases the risks of heart attacks, strokes and chest infections.
“If you have a pre-existing medical condition or are over the age of 65, it is important to try and heat the rooms where you spend most of your time in[doors], such as your living room or bedroom.”
For those considered to be at risk during this cold snap and amber-heat health warning, the official government-sanctioned advice is that if you can’t heat all the rooms in your home, it is important to heat the rooms you spend the (i.e. living room in the day and bedroom before going to sleep) to at least 18 degrees if possible.
They also recommend wearing a few thin layers instead of one thick layer, as the former is better at trapping heat than just one big jumper etc.
Other advice on how to stay safe during these colder periods includes stocking up on food and medicine, keeping windows closed and reducing draughts at home, as well as getting vaccinated against flu and COVID-19.
If you or someone you know is in need of help, you can get in touch with the NHS on 111 and if it is an emergency please call 999 immediately.
Man jailed for raping and assaulting two women as they slept
A man has been jailed after being convicted of raping and sexually assaulting two women while they were sleeping.
Alan Pickering, 40, from Wirral, has been sentenced to 15 years behind bars as well as four years on an extended license.
During the trial at Liverpool Crown Court, the court heard that his victims had woken up to find that Pickering was raping them, with neither giving their consent.
Both victims then repeatedly asked him to stop, but he continued to assault them.
His crimes took place between January 2004 and July 2020 on ‘multiple occasions’ in the Chester and Wirral areas.
Pickering, of Procter Road in Rock Ferry, had previously been found guilty of five counts of rape and three counts of sexual assault by penetration following an earlier trial.
The latest allegations against the man came to light in 2020 after a report was made to social services at Cheshire West and Chester, which was passed on to Cheshire Police.
In addition to his prison sentence, Pickering has also been ordered to sign the sex offenders register for life, and handed indefinite restraining orders against the victims.
Following the sentencing, Detective Constable Peel, who led the investigation, said: “Firstly I would like to commend the victims for the courage and bravery that they have shown throughout this case.
“I know that Pickering’s offending has had a hugely traumatic impact on the victims and having to give evidence during the trial was not easy for them.
“But thanks to the statements they gave, and the evidence we gathered, the jury we’re able to see through his lies and he is now finally being held accountable for his actions.”
Detective Constable Peel added: “Nobody should have to experience what these women have been though and if anything can be achieved from this case, I hope that it encourages other victims of sexual offences to come forward and report them to us.
“We treat all reports extremely seriously, and any allegation will be thoroughly investigated, with the wishes and needs of the victim as our main priority.
“Victims should never feel ashamed to talk about what they have been subjected to. They will receive the help and support they need from our specialist officers, as well as from other support agencies we work alongside, and all victims of sexual offences have the right to anonymity.”