Social media is awash with tributes to an “outstanding journalist” and “a wonderful, caring person” as writer and dedicated Hillsborough campaigner, Dan Kay, has sadly passed away aged 45.
The former Liverpool Echo reporter and lifelong Liverpool fan was said to have died suddenly, with the first reports of his passing on Monday, 8 May, which has come as a shock to both supporters of the football club, his industry colleagues, the city of Liverpool and its local Jewish community.
Having worked on behalf of families and survivors of the Hillsborough disaster for many years, the Echo has described him as a “tireless campaigner” who “pioneered digital journalism in the newsroom… whose compassion, empathy and concern for others touched countless lives in Liverpool and beyond.”
Everyone at LFC is deeply saddened by the tragic passing of Dan Kay.
A much respected journalist who was well known to many at the club, tireless Hillsborough campaigner and lifelong Liverpool fan, our thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues, @LivEchonews. https://t.co/cpNwVmaaDe
Devastated by this news. @dankay was such a lovely man. We were both like kids in a chocolate factory when we both first interviewed klopp in front of the Kop at Anfield. We were buzzing through the whole day. It was a moment we always talked about over a brew. RIP Dan ❤️ pic.twitter.com/Yaws1qbCcJ
Dan worked with the late Anne Williams’s daughter Sara to co-write With Hope In Her Heart, a powerful account of her mother’s fight for justice in memory of her son Kevin, 15, and the 96 other supporters unlawfully killed at Hillsborough.
ADVERTISEMENT
Acting as a champion for social justice and always looking to help those in need throughout his personal and professional life, he also compiled individual tributes to each one of the victims, spending countless hours with their families and friends, as well as producing the visual tribute ‘97 Candles Burn Bright‘,
Writing on Twitter just last month, Dan said of the tribute: “As always our city stands together – love and strength to the inspirational families, heroic survivors and everyone affected by this most cruel of days.”
ADVERTISEMENT
As for “best friend” Sara, she said he became part of the family and “had a heart of gold”, insisting that “he would do anything for anyone… we will all miss him so much.” It appears the amount of lives he touched is beyond number, as social media mourns “a truly kind-hearted, generous man”.
You genuinely did not have a bad bone in your body. Purple Daniel the Maniel.
I’ll miss your Pits goalscoring and your ‘just taking a quick call’ turning into a 90 minute conversation🤣 The nicest man you could meet. I’ll miss you so much.
Devastating news to hear my friend and colleague Dan Kay has died. Dan was the definition of kindness and generosity. A tireless Hillsborough campaigner and the most knowledgeable, passionate Red you could meet. Love to his friends and family. He'll be greatly missed. RIP Dan💙❤️ pic.twitter.com/hNrKBxTs2R
Kay’s cause of death is not yet known but the sadness being felt across Liverpool, the Jewish community for whom he acted as an honorary secretary at his local synagogue; his journalistic colleagues and those close to him that are “really struggling to come to terms with this news” is plain for all to see.
As the Echo‘s Audience Editor, Paul Philbin, wrote: “The outpouring of love for Dan Kay says everything you need to know about him. A giant of this city”.
ADVERTISEMENT
A date has not yet been confirmed for Dan’s funeral but it is expected to take place at Broadgreen Jewish Cemetery.
By all accounts an incredible journalist, a dedicated campaigner, a friend to all and an all-round lovely person. Rest in peace.
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch Layr speaks out after receiving influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages
Emily Sergeant
Manchester’s tiny new tiramisu hatch has spoken out after receiving a recent influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages and reviews.
Having only opened its doors – or should we say, shutters – at the end of last month (29 January) over in Acoats, Layr is one of Manchester’s newest independent businesses that is selling purely tiramisu, with a menu of three different flavours, each served in individually portioned pots.
Here you can expect classic tiramisu where sponge is soaked in espresso, then layered with vanilla marscapone and cocoa dust.
These freshly-made, alcohol-free and Halal desserts have gone down an absolute treat with residents and visitors to the city alike since opening, but unfortunately, it hasn’t been completely smooth sailing for founder Moona who has admitted over the weekend that they have been receiving a number of ‘hostile’ hate comments and reviews that don’t reflect the service they are providing.
The statement comes after the business teamed up with The Couture Club and influencer Farron Clark for a Valentine’s collaboration over the weekend.
Layr said in its Instagram statement: “As a small independent business, we can’t stay silent when things aren’t right. It’s hard to share, but it has to be said.
“With a heavy heart, we need to address something that’s been happening behind the scenes. Over the past few days, we’ve noticed a pattern that’s been difficult to process. Hostile hate-messages, comments, and reviews. A number of one-star reviews have appeared that don’t feel reflective of real customer experiences… with some of our genuine customer photos have been screenshotted and reposted elsewhere.
Layr has spoken out after receiving an influx of ‘hostile’ hate messages / Credit: The Manc Group
“As a small, new independent business, we take all feedback on board. However instances that appear not to be genuine are disheartening to see.”
They then shared a couple of screenshot images of reviews and comments they were referring to, before adding that: “The industry is already a challenge without these instances. We all need each other’s support and I hope we all succeed in what we set out to achieve.”
The statement concluded: “Let’s spread love… not hate.”
Layr’s post has seen hundreds of likes and comments from customers and other local businesses sharing their support.
Featured Image – The Manc Group
News
Government announces social media crackdown with potential ban for under 16s
Emily Sergeant
The Government has announced a social media crackdown in a bid to keep children safe amid rapid technology changes.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer wants to take ‘immediate action’ to make the online world safer for children.
The new measures announced today include a crackdown on ‘vile’ illegal content created by AI, including fast action to shut a legal loophole and force all AI chatbot providers to abide by illegal content duties in the Online Safety Act or face the consequences of breaking the law.
The Government says it’s also taking new legal powers to lay the groundwork for immediate action following its consultation on children’s wellbeing online carried out earlier this year.
No social media platform should get a free pass when it comes to protecting our kids.
These new powers introduced this week will mean Government ministers can act fast on the findings of the consultation within months, rather than waiting years for new primary legislation every time technology evolves, and this means, crucially, being able to prohibit measures like setting a minimum age limit for social media – which Australia famously became the first country to do so last year – and restricting features like infinite scrolling that are also harmful.
It’s also likely that there will be restrictions introduced on children’s use of AI chatbots, as well as options to age-restrict or limit children’s VPN, and changing the age of digital consent.
The Prime Minister has insisted ‘no platform gets a free pass’.
The Government has announced a social media crackdown with a potential ban for under 16s / Credit: Julian Christ (via Unsplash)
“As a dad of two teenagers, I know the challenges and the worries that parents face making sure their kids are safe online,” Mr Starmer said.
“Technology is moving really fast, and the law has got to keep up. With my Government, Britain will be a leader not a follower when it comes to online safety. The action we took on Grok sent a clear message that no platform gets a free pass.
“Today we are closing loopholes that put children at risk, and laying the groundwork for further action. We are acting to protect children’s wellbeing and help parents to navigate the minefield of social media.”