Greater Manchester Police has shared a story of two officers who helped save the life of a member of the public who suffered a heart attack at the wheel of his HGV on the motorway and collided with the central reservation.
Whilst on shift travelling along the M60, PC Chris Pixton and PC Patrick Geoghegan-Shaw came across Shane Sharkey who moments earlier had suffered a Cardiac Arrest at the wheel, which meant he lost control of his HGV and collided with the concrete central reservation.
The collision caused extensive damage to the vehicle and resulted in its contents being emptied across both carriageways.
Without hesitation, the two officers stopped and ran over to the collision.
PC Pixton pulled Mr Sharkey, who was unresponsive, out of the now smoking HGV and PC Pixton, alongside a member of the public with first aid training who bravely came to assist, tried to revive Mr Sharkey using the de-fib in the officers’ possession and performed CPR for at least 10 minutes.
PC Geoghegan-Shaw helped give first aid to the victim, as well as collating witness details on the incident, until the ambulance service arrived to take over medical care.
Mr Starkey was taken to Salford Royal Hospital in a critical condition and is now making a steady recovery.
A third GMP officer, PC Nicola Greenhalgh – who is part of the Serious Collision Investigation Unit (SCIU) – attended the hospital to get updates on the victim and whilst there, supported the victim’s partner who, due to COVID-19, had to attend the hospital alone.
Superintendent Richard Timson – Greater Manchester Police’s South Manchester District Commander – said: “This was a true act of bravery. Both officers acted swiftly and their quick thinking saved the driver of the HGV.
“PC Pixton has recently completed police medical training and PC Geoghegan-Shaw is currently part-way through the course. This incident highlights the importance of the skills officers learn on this course and I’m glad that they were both able to, in a high-pressured situation, but into practise what they had learnt. I am proud of courage and professionalism they displayed.
“I would also like to thank the member of the public who also demonstrated great courage in assisting with giving Mr Sharkey first aid.
“I am pleased to hear that Mr Sharkey is making a recovery with the support of his partner Debra who wrote a letter of thanks to all the officers involved expressing her gratitude for their actions.”
PC Chris Pixton, said: “I’m delighted that Shane is now on the road to recovery with the support of his partner.
“Responding to the incident truly was a team effort between the brave members of public and all the emergency services, who came together to ensure the scene was made safe and administer life-saving care. This is no doubt one of those defining moments in my job that will stay with me and I’m thankful that we could make a difference.
“I am also thankful for the additional training of the medic role, as without it I wouldn’t have been able to act as I did, or have been in possession of the kit that I had.”
Police appeal for information regarding ‘serious assault’ around Old Trafford before United game in October
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) are appealing for fresh information on a “serious assault” committed around the Old Trafford area earlier this year.
GMP issued a press release on Friday, 9 December, asking for members of the public to come forward and share any details they might have on the attack carried along Seymour Grove in Trafford around 1:30pm on 16 October 2022.
They go on to explain that “a man in his 20s was assaulted by a group of unknown males” on the way to the game at Old Trafford, adding that “it is believed that the suspects were also attending the Manchester United vs Newcastle United match.”
It remains unclear whether or not the assailants were travelling fans in town to support the away side but GMP are looking to speak to the men pictured as they may be able to help with enquiries.
As detailed in the statement, “the victim suffered a severely broken jaw, a broken nose, numerous cuts to the face, and damage to the nerves of four teeth which he is likely to need further medical treatment for.” Terrible stuff.
The authorities are continuing to investigate the Seymour Grove assault after having followed up on a number of lines of enquiry since the incident took place and are now asking for the public’s help.
Anyone with information, or anyone who may have footage/images, or can identify the men in the photos, can contact Greater Manchester Police on 101, quoting log number 1589 on 16/10/22; or, alternatively use the Live Chat service HERE.
Alternatively, information can be shared anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image — Greater Manchester Police/David Dixon (via Geograph)
Football fans call out ‘tone-deaf’ FA TikTok for mocking ‘life-threatening’ head injury
Football fans are calling out the official FA Cup TikTok account for mocking a serious head injury suffered by a Stockport County player earlier this week.
The Hatters beat Charlton Athletic in fine fashion with a 3-1 victory on Wednesday, 7 December, with Will Collar’s hattrick (the club’s first since 2019) sending them through to the next round of the cup.
However, another notable moment from the night was right back Macauley Southam-Hales’ collision with advertising hoarders after a shove from Charlton captain George Dobson.
As the likes of County fan Joel Ward wrote on Twitter, many online were quick to slam the clip for joking about an injury that hospitalised the player, the consensus being that it isn’t a “great look” for the FA.
While many reacting in the comments recognised that Dobson didn’t intend to hurt Southam-Hales by shepherding the ball out of play, the Stockport defender does hit the predominantly metal structure with some force and was left in clear discomfort following the smash.
The video itself has since been removed from the official account following the backlash but people are still reacting as the clip continues to be reshared on social media.
The clip was branded as everything from “disgusting” and “disgraceful” to “simply unbelievable”.
What’s most concerning is that despite the recent push to promote awareness surrounding concussions, brain trauma and even heading the ball – which, historically, haven’t been properly monitored in football – whoever posted the video on behalf of the FA didn’t consider the very serious nature of the incident.
As alluded to above, perhaps what makes the post even more shocking and tone-deaf is that it comes just weeks after Bath City player forward Alex Fletcher was placed in intensive care following an almost identical accident.
The 23-year-old underwent life-saving brain surgery and although he has since been discharged from the hospital, he is said to have a “long road to recovery ahead of him”.
County confirmed that despite being the all-clear pitchside, Southam-Hales was taken to the hospital as a precaution after he suffered significant swelling around the neck area. Nevertheless, as we know all too well, it could have been much worse.
As for the FA, they have now apologised for the inappropriate attempt at humour, confirming that they have removed the video from all official accounts, admitting that “it should never have been published and assuring that they will “review [their] processes to ensure this never happens again.”
You can watch the full highlights from Stockport County vs Charlton Athletic HERE but we’d recommend you watch Alan Shearer reminding everyone who plays football to be more vigilant when it comes to head injuries.