Pubs, bars and restaurants in Manchester city centreare signing up to the new #CancelTheCurfew campaign in droves– and one venue has even gone as far as banning MPs from the premises.
Cocktail and rum bar MOJO, on Bridge Street, has published a tongue-in-cheek social media post stating that no members of parliament are permitted to enter until they “release the industry”.
The #CancelTheCurfew campaign – which has already amassed dozens of supportive voices from key venues in Manchester including One Eight Six, Cocktail Beer Ramen & Bun, Liars Club and Arcane – is calling on the government to put a stop to the 10pm prohibition so the sector can survive.
Posting on Instagram, MOJO stated: “You won’t serve us, so we won’t serve you!”
It continues: “Today we call on our friends, colleagues, brothers and sisters in bars, pubs and restaurants across the country to join us in putting all the members of parliament on notice.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Until they see sense and either release our industry to trade or provide us with viable financial support, we will not serve them.
“#cancelthecurfew”.
ADVERTISEMENT
Martin Greenhow, Managing Director at MOJO, has previously said there is “no evidence to support the assumption that hospitality is driving infection.”
He added: “Hospitality has slaved to work responsibly within the constraints laid out for us and now we are being thrown aside with scant concern for the impact these measures will have on our businesses and the wider economy.”
Growing support for the campaign comes as hospitality finds itself shackled once again by industry-specific COVID-19 restrictions – the latest of which were enforced last week in an attempt to flatten the rising curve of cases in the UK.
ADVERTISEMENT
Today I called on the Govt to #cancelthecurfew It is destroying our economy & doing nothing to stem the spread of coronavirus. Minister’s response…he’s speaking to businesses🤷 He should try some action instead. Thanks to our own @Stevey_Panto for championing this. pic.twitter.com/JMidZlvUG0
Emma Lewell-Buck, Labour MP for South Shields, referenced the campaign in the House of Commons on Tuesday afternoon, calling the curfew “arbitrary and unevidenced”.
“When on earth will the government abolish this curfew?” she asked.
Bars and restaurants are also arranging a silent protest on Saturday 3 October, with hospitality workers set to stand outside their venues at 10pm.
The campaign’s open letter, addressed to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, states: “A 10pm curfew drives the public from the safe environment of our venues and into areas with no regulations.
“We are not asking for unlimited handouts. We are asking to open our doors. To be allowed to do what we do best whilst keeping our staff and customers safe.”
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.
Featured Image – Jonathan Borba (via Unsplash)
News
Tameside police appeal for witnesses after two men were stabbed and doused in chilli oil
Emily Sergeant
Police are appealing for information regarding ‘multiple incidents’ that were reported in Ashton-under-Lyne town centre earlier this week.
These incidents – which took place on Tuesday evening (18 August) – included reports of assaults involving a non-toxic liquid substances, now found to have been chilli oil, and reported stabbings – with several locations examined by detectives and forensic specialists, and scenes now in place on Stamford Street, Warrington Street, and Wood Street while investigations continue.
Two men, aged 44 and 50, were taken to hospital with injuries consistent with stab wounds, but thankfully, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) has confirmed that their injuries are not deemed life-threatening.
A 30-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman have been arrested on suspicion of Section 18 assault (grievous bodily harm) and both remain in custody for questioning.
Police believe that the incidents are linked and they are not looking for anyone else in connection.
They are, however, keen to hear from anyone who may have witnessed any of the incidents or has relevant CCTV, dashcam, or mobile phone footage that could assist with ongoing investigations.
Can you help? Anyone with any information is encouraged to contact police on 101 or via LiveChat, quoting log 3984 of 18/08/26.