Manchester City Council is to spend almost £6 million on further work to reduce carbon emissions from buildings across Manchester.
In what is said to be another step towards the Council’s ambitious goal of halving its direct carbon emissions by 2025 as it works towards the region-wide target of becoming carbon neutral by 2038, a whopping £4.9 million in Government funding for work to reduce emissions has now been secured.
With a further Council contribution of £1 million, almost £6 million will now be spent on delivering a scheme to cut emissions from seven significant buildings across Manchester.
According to the Council, the funding has been awarded in the latest round of the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy’s Public Sector Decarbonisation Scheme – which is being delivered by Salix Finance as part of a joint bid along with Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA)
A previous £19.1 million awarded under the scheme has already seen work to reduce emissions in 13 council buildings – including the National Aquatics Centre, National Cycling Centre, and Town Hall Extension.
The buildings set to benefit from decarbonisation with this funding are:
The National Football Museum
Wythenshawe Active Lifestyle Centre
Claremont Resource Centre
Harpurhey District Social Services
Hall Lane Resource Centre
The Place at Platt Lane
One Central Park (Arbeta)
The latest scheme will predominantly be used for the installation of air source heat pumps, the Council explained, with additional funding to be allocated or the use of solar photovoltaic panels and LED lights “where appropriate”.
Speaking on the funding win, Councillor Tracey Rawlins – Executive Member for Environment for Manchester City Council – said: “Council buildings are our biggest source of direct emissions.
“Taking action to retrofit these buildings and significantly improve their energy efficiency is one of the ways we are facing up to the urgent challenge of climate change.
“I am pleased that we have been able to secure further funding to support this ambition.
“We will continue to pursue the potential for retrofitting, whether for our buildings or the city’s wider housing stock.”
“We are delighted to be working with Manchester City Council on the decarbonisation journey,” added Arthur Jones – Programme Co-ordinator at Salix Finance.
“This will have a significant impact for the wider community as a whole.”
Featured Image – GMCA
Police appeal for information regarding ‘serious assault’ around Old Trafford before United game in October
Greater Manchester Police (GMP) are appealing for fresh information on a “serious assault” committed around the Old Trafford area earlier this year.
GMP issued a press release on Friday, 9 December, asking for members of the public to come forward and share any details they might have on the attack carried along Seymour Grove in Trafford around 1:30pm on 16 October 2022.
They go on to explain that “a man in his 20s was assaulted by a group of unknown males” on the way to the game at Old Trafford, adding that “it is believed that the suspects were also attending the Manchester United vs Newcastle United match.”
It remains unclear whether or not the assailants were travelling fans in town to support the away side but GMP are looking to speak to the men pictured as they may be able to help with enquiries.
As detailed in the statement, “the victim suffered a severely broken jaw, a broken nose, numerous cuts to the face, and damage to the nerves of four teeth which he is likely to need further medical treatment for.” Terrible stuff.
The authorities are continuing to investigate the Seymour Grove assault after having followed up on a number of lines of enquiry since the incident took place and are now asking for the public’s help.
Anyone with information, or anyone who may have footage/images, or can identify the men in the photos, can contact Greater Manchester Police on 101, quoting log number 1589 on 16/10/22; or, alternatively use the Live Chat service HERE.
Alternatively, information can be shared anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image — Greater Manchester Police/David Dixon (via Geograph)
Football fans call out ‘tone-deaf’ FA TikTok for mocking ‘life-threatening’ head injury
Football fans are calling out the official FA Cup TikTok account for mocking a serious head injury suffered by a Stockport County player earlier this week.
The Hatters beat Charlton Athletic in fine fashion with a 3-1 victory on Wednesday, 7 December, with Will Collar’s hattrick (the club’s first since 2019) sending them through to the next round of the cup.
However, another notable moment from the night was right back Macauley Southam-Hales’ collision with advertising hoarders after a shove from Charlton captain George Dobson.
As the likes of County fan Joel Ward wrote on Twitter, many online were quick to slam the clip for joking about an injury that hospitalised the player, the consensus being that it isn’t a “great look” for the FA.
While many reacting in the comments recognised that Dobson didn’t intend to hurt Southam-Hales by shepherding the ball out of play, the Stockport defender does hit the predominantly metal structure with some force and was left in clear discomfort following the smash.
The video itself has since been removed from the official account following the backlash but people are still reacting as the clip continues to be reshared on social media.
The clip was branded as everything from “disgusting” and “disgraceful” to “simply unbelievable”.
What’s most concerning is that despite the recent push to promote awareness surrounding concussions, brain trauma and even heading the ball – which, historically, haven’t been properly monitored in football – whoever posted the video on behalf of the FA didn’t consider the very serious nature of the incident.
As alluded to above, perhaps what makes the post even more shocking and tone-deaf is that it comes just weeks after Bath City player forward Alex Fletcher was placed in intensive care following an almost identical accident.
The 23-year-old underwent life-saving brain surgery and although he has since been discharged from the hospital, he is said to have a “long road to recovery ahead of him”.
County confirmed that despite being the all-clear pitchside, Southam-Hales was taken to the hospital as a precaution after he suffered significant swelling around the neck area. Nevertheless, as we know all too well, it could have been much worse.
As for the FA, they have now apologised for the inappropriate attempt at humour, confirming that they have removed the video from all official accounts, admitting that “it should never have been published and assuring that they will “review [their] processes to ensure this never happens again.”
You can watch the full highlights from Stockport County vs Charlton Athletic HERE but we’d recommend you watch Alan Shearer reminding everyone who plays football to be more vigilant when it comes to head injuries.