Manchester City Council has unveiled a new housing strategy, and it looks to bringing 36,000 new homes to the area over the next 10 years.
In a bid to create “diverse, sustainable, and long-lasting communities” across Manchester, the Council has decided to give the city’s housing strategy a refresh and update it to meet the demand for all types of homes – which crucially includes the ambitious commitment to building a whopping 36,000 more before the year 2032.
10,000 of these homes will be social and affordable housing, according to the Council.
The Council said it will need to work closely in partnership both the private and public housing sectors to achieve this ambition set out.
At least 80% of all the new homes set to be built over the next decade are on Brownfield sites close to public transport links, according to the Council, and there are also plans to build 3,000 new large affordable family homes by 2032 as well with the aim of tackling overcrowding in parts of the city where families are bigger.
ADVERTISEMENT
The new housing strategy also includes building more homes for older people that are “the right size” and appropriate for their needs.
We have launched our new Housing Strategy for the next ten years that will deliver the homes that Manchester people need over the next decade – creating diverse, sustainable, and long-lasting communities.
— Manchester City Council (@ManCityCouncil) June 16, 2022
Aside from the ambition to build tens of thousands of new homes, planners are also committed to supporting 15,000 more people get on the property ladder over the next 10 years, and the Council is looking to do this by increasing the number of Shared Ownership and Rent To Buy homes delivered too.
ADVERTISEMENT
With Manchester’s target to become a zero carbon city-region by 2038 also in mind, the Council says that at least a third of the city’s 70,000 social homes will be retrofitted to low carbon standards by 2032.
50% of the new homes built by 2025 will also be low or zero carbon.
“We believe that everyone should have access to a safe home in a vibrant community, that is secure and affordable to our residents,” explained Cllr Gavin White, Manchester City Council’s executive member for housing and development.
“We are confident that this new strategy will help our residents move into the homes they need, and it will react to a number of challenges, including increasing the number of affordable and social homes, helping people to get a foot on the property ladder, and to make sure housing is a key part of the city’s zero carbon journey.”
The housing strategy has been updated in a bid to create “diverse, sustainable, and long-lasting communities” across Manchester / Credit: Manchester City Council
Manchester City Council’s leader Bev Craig also pointed to good-quality housing being “a fundamental need for everyone”.
She continued: “Our new housing strategy is about making sure that Manchester works for everyone [and] it means building the homes our residents need, adapting to tackle climate change head on, and making the city affordable to anyone who wants to live here.
ADVERTISEMENT
“Manchester has always been a place of opportunity and ambition.
“Our approach to housing must meet that potential and deliver the homes that work for Manchester people.”
Featured Image – Manchester City Council
News
Family pays tribute to ‘much-loved son’ who died after Wigan bus crash
Daisy Jackson
The family of a man who died in a tragic bus crash in Wigan have paid a moving tribute to him.
Luke Hill, 28, was involved in a collision between a bus and a motorbike earlier this month, and sadly passed away in hospital the following morning.
The incident occurred on the Wigan Road junction of Alexandra Road, at around 11.54pm on Thursday 6 August – and GMP are still appealing for members of the public to come forward with CCTV, dashcam, or information.
The driver of the bus remained at the scene following the crash, and continues to support police with their investigation.
Paying tribute to Luke, his family described him as a ‘rock and much-loved part of the family’.
His mother said that living without him feels like a ‘terrible nightmare’.
Paying tribute, Luke’s mum, Sharon, has said: “Luke was my son, my rock, and a much-loved part of our family. There are simply no words to describe the pain of losing a son, especially in such a tragic way.
“It still doesn’t feel real. I keep expecting this terrible nightmare to end and for you to be here with us again.
“Luke was a beloved son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. He meant so much to so many people, and he will be deeply missed by all his family and friends.
“We miss you more than words could ever say. The pain of losing you is something we will carry with us forever, but so will the love and memories you gave us.
“The whole family is deeply saddened by this heartbreaking loss. We kindly ask that everyone respects our privacy and allows us the time and space we need to grieve.
“You will never be forgotten, Luke.
“We love you and miss you so much.”
Officers are continuing to appeal for any witnesses who may have seen the moments leading up to this incident, or anyone who has mobile phone or dash cam footage, to come forward and assist the investigation.
Anyone with information can contact police via 0161 856 4741 or our Live Chat at gmp.police.uk, quoting the log number 4225 of 06/08/2026.
Alternatively, you can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.
Government issues UK-wide temporary ban on sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk
Emily Sergeant
A temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues has been issued nationwide.
Following the UK’s fourth heatwave of the summer, and as many regions declare drought conditions, the Government has made the decision to issue a temporary ban on the sale of disposable barbecues due to wildfire risk.
A disposable barbecue is defined as a fuel tray or grill grid that includes charcoal fuel ‘sufficient to provide cooking temperature for the duration of a single cooking episode’.
Earlier this week, Prime Minister Andy Burnham described the UK as a ‘tinderbox’ and urged ‘all retailers big and small’ to withdraw the sale of disposable barbecues to prevent further wildfires, but following the shocking scenes in Stourbridge which raged overnight, it appears this has been escalated to a formal temporary ban.
The ban applies to all producers and distributors of the product – including retailers that make disposable barbecues available on the British market – and includes online sales too.
A Government statement reads: “During the current drought and heatwave conditions, the Government considers that the supply and subsequent foreseeable use of disposable barbecues poses a significant risk to the public, and the environment, and therefore cannot be considered a safe product.
“They should not be made available for supply either in store or online at the current time.
“These guidelines will be kept under review, and will be withdrawn in consultation with relevant departments and agencies, as weather conditions change sufficiently to significantly reduce the risks.”