A street in Wythenshawe was shut down this morning and descended on by firefighters in hazmat suits after reports that a man had consumed ricin.
Emergency services were deployed to Moor Lane in Northern Moor, Wythenshawe, as a mum was screaming "my son is dying" at around 9am this morning.
Police have confirmed the substance in question is believed to be ricin, a deadly poison found naturally in castor beans. A dose of purified ricin powder the size of a few grains of table salt can kill an adult.
#Emergencyservices @manchesterfire @gmpolice currently at a scene just off Sale Rd #NorthernMoor— Jim Hutton (@Jimh0791) January 4, 2020
Entered a hse wearing #HazMat suits, pushing a gurney.
Prior to entering a lady in PJ's shouts "My sons dying, where the f**** are they"#Wythenshawe #Sale@MENnewsdesk #Manchester pic.twitter.com/sqVEpWi6YK
Witnesses reported seeing a woman in pyjamas screaming "my son is dying, where the f*** are they?" shortly before police officers sealed the road and adjoining Sale Road off.
The man is reportedly in a stable condition and currently being treated by paramedics while police claim there is no wider threat to the community.
On Twitter, Jim Hutton said: "#Emergencyservices @manchesterfire @gmpolice currently at a scene just off Sale Rd #NorthernMoor
"Entered a house wearing #HazMat suits, pushing a gurney. Prior to entering a lady in PJ's shouts "My sons dying, where the f**** are they."
A statement issued by Greater Manchester Police said: "Police were called by the ambulance service shortly before 9am this morning (Saturday 4 January 2020) to a report of concern for the welfare of a man at a property on Moor Lane, Northern Moor.
"It was established that the man had consumed an at this time unknown substance. Enquiries are ongoing."
A cordon remains in place on Moor Lane.