A new survey has revealed that one in three UK parents don’t think it’s essential for children to go into school everyday.
The reason for this? Well, it’s apparently all due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
According to a new YouGov public poll, which has been conducted by the Centre for Social Justice (CSJ) thinktank, around 28% of parents surveyed said they felt the several lockdowns throughout 2020 and 2021 proved that youngsters did not actually need to physically be in the classroom five days a week.
On top of this, apparently only 70% of parents are confident that their child’s needs are being met at school anyway, and this figure was even found to have dropped to 61% for children at secondary school.
The shocking results of the poll – which questioned 1,206 parents during December 2023, and is part of a wider report titled The Missing Link: Restoring The Bond Between Schools And Families – has led CSJ chief executive, Andy Cook, to claim there is “fundamental work” that needs to be done in order to “rebuild the contract between families and schools”.
ADVERTISEMENT
He also added that it proves the “bonds of trust” between the two parties have been broken for a “significant minority”.
“This is not a one-way street,” Mr Cook continued.
ADVERTISEMENT
New survey reveals one in three parents think children don’t need to go to school everyday / Credit: gov.uk
“Parents have legitimate expectations of schools, which the Government must help them to deliver, but as parents, we need to take responsibility for getting our kids ready for school, at school, and for keeping them engaged in school.
“Restoring the bond between parents and schools will help us to do this [but] failure to address this will be catastrophic for the future of our people, communities, and state.”
The results of the survey come as the Government unveiled plans for a major national drive aiming to improve school attendance figures nationwide yesterday.
ADVERTISEMENT
Improving attendance is my number one priority, so I’m glad that there are 380,000 fewer children persistently absent or not attending school than last year.
But we know we need to go further.
So today, we're taking action to improve attendance.
With tackling persistent pupil absence at the centre of the new “stronger” measures, the Government says more than one million children and young people across England will be supported into regular education thanks to the expansion of the already-existing ‘attendance hubs’.
The ‘attendance hubs’ work to provide “a range of tailored support” to families to boost time in school.
There’ll be 18 new attendance hubs across six regions, which will eventually bring the total to 32, and see nearly 2,000 schools helped to tackle regular absences.
“Tackling attendance is my number one priority,” commented Education Secretary, Gillian Keegan.
“The benefits of our success in raising education standards can only be when all children are in school… [and] we want all our children to have the best start in life, because we know that attending school is vital to a child’s wellbeing, development, and attainment as well as impact future career success.”
Featured Image – gov.uk
News
Second arrest made on suspicion of murder after man stabbed to death in Levenshulme
Emily Sergeant
A second arrest has been made following the death of a young man in Levenshulme this past weekend.
The victim has now also been formally named to the public.
Earlier this week, Greater Manchester Police (GMP) explained that officers were called to reports of a man who suffered ‘serious stab wounds’ on Chapel Street at around 7:06pm on Saturday evening (15 August), and once they arrived on the scene, the victim was pronounced dead despite the best efforts of emergency services.
According to police, it is believed that this was an ‘isolated incident’ with no wider threat to the public.
As mentioned, the victim has now been named as 24-year-old Zherko Rasul Osman, and his family are being supported by specialist officers at this time.
When the investigation was first opened, a 27-year-old man had already been arrested on suspicion of murder and was being kept in police custody, but it has now been confirmed that a second man has also been arrested.
Yesterday evening (Tuesday 18 August), a 23-year-old man was arrested, also on suspicion of murder, and he remains in custody for questioning.
“This arrest marks a significant step in our investigation and shows our continued commitment to securing justice for the victim and his family,” commented Detective Inspector Alex Wilkinson, from GMP’s Major Incident Team.
“Our officers are working at pace to establish the full circumstances as officers on scene are conducting investigations.
“As our investigation is ongoing, we would like to hear from anyone who may have information that can assist us.”
Can you help? Anyone in the Chapel Street area around the time of this incident, or who has mobile phone, CCTV, Ring doorbell and dashcam footage, can contact police on 0161 856 9008 quoting the log number 2983 of 15/08/2026.
Alternatively you can contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – GMP
News
NHS urges people to book flu jabs ahead of winter as A&E attendances hit record 2.5 million
Emily Sergeant
The NHS is urging people get their flu jabs booked ahead of the upcoming season.
After A&E attendances hit a record 2.5 million in July, and staff experienced the three busiest months ever recorded between May and July in emergency departments, the NHS wants to do everything it can to ‘ease demand’ ahead of winter flu season arriving.
Flu season usually peaks in December and January, so the health service is starting to administer the vaccinations from autumn onwards to ensure fewer people are hospitalised.
Flu can cause significant issues for children, pregnant women, older adults, and people with some long-term health conditions – with issues including hospitalisation and, in certain cases, severe respiratory failure or even death.
It’s estimated that around 104,000 hospitalisations could have been avoided last year, which is why the NHS is keen to cut that number this winter.
From today, the national booking system is open for those eligible to book their flu vaccine, with appointments starting from 1 September.
Those eligible will be able to get their flu vaccination from a variety of places in their local community, including their GP practices and participating high street pharmacies.
The jab is given in injectable form in the vast majority of cases, while a nasal spray is provided for most children.
“Vaccinations play a vital role in protecting those most at risk from flu and they are also crucial for relieving pressures on our NHS over the winter months,” explained Health Secretary Yvette Cooper.
“Everyone who is eligible for a free vaccination will be notified through their phone or in the post, and the system for booking appointments is now open. Together, we can save lives, support the most vulnerable, and ensure our NHS is there for everyone who needs it this winter.”
The national booking system is now open so that eligible people – including pregnant women and children – can pre-book their flu vaccinations when appointments start on 1 September.