Lancashire Police has confirmed that the search for a missing woman from Burnley is still ongoing, but officers believe she is “no longer alive”.
33-year-old mother of two Katie Kenyon, from the Padiham area of Burnley, was reported as missing after last being seen last Friday 22 April, and more than 60 specialist search officers from four local police forces have been scouring parts of Gisburn Forest in Lancashire’s Ribble Valley.
Police confirmed that at about 9.30am on Friday, a woman matching Ms Kenyon’s description left an address on Todmorden Road in Burnley with a man, and travelled in a silver Ford Transit – with the registration MT57 FLC – to the Bolton-by-Bowland area of north Lancashire.
Ms Kenyon is described as white, 5ft 9in tall, and was last wearing a blue cardigan, a light blue and white top, black leggings, and flip flops.
Her family say that her disappearance is “out of character”.
Officers from the Lancashire, Greater Manchester, Merseyside and North Wales police forces are currently searching the Gisburn Forest area – which is the largest wooded area in the county, measuring 1,200 hectares.
Police forces are being assisted by Lancashire Fire and Rescue Service and the Bowland Pennine Mountain Rescue Team.
A photograph of the van – which Ms Kenyon was last seen getting into, and has since been found in Burnley – has been released, and Lancashire Police is continuing to appeal for anyone who saw the vehicle, or has dashcam footage, to come forward with information.
It comes after it was confirmed on Monday (25 April) that a 50-year-old man, who was initially arrested on suspicion of her kidnap, has now been further arrested on suspicion of her murder, and detectives are this evening making a further application to Burnley Magistrates Court to continue his detention to 9pm tomorrow (Wednesday 27 April)
Det Supt Gary Brooks – Lancashire Police’s Head of Major Crime – said: “While I hold some slim hope that Katie may still be found alive I’m sad to say that Katie has now been missing for over four days and despite extensive police enquiries and media appeals, we have not found Katie nor have there been any sightings of Katie.
“We have spoken to Katie’s family today and they are understandably extremely upset by this latest development and I have officers continuing to offer them support.
“My thoughts are with them at this time.”
He added that he is “really grateful” for all the help that members of the public have given so far, and says he continues to appeal to anyone who has any information to come forward and speak to officers.
“While we do have someone under arrest our enquiries are very much on-going.”
Anyone with information should call police on 101 quoting log 800 of 24 April, or you can contact Lancashire Police through the Major Incident Public Portal. Alternatively contact independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Featured Image – Lancashire Police
Police seize 17 dogs after 6-year-old girl is injured during attack in Carrington
17 dogs have now been seized by police after a six-year-old girl was injured during at attack in Carrington this past weekend.
Shortly before 2:40pm on Sunday 26 March, officers from Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were called to an address on Ackers Lane in Carrington in Trafford after receiving reports that a child had “suffered injuries caused by dogs”.
The child, a six-year-old girl, was taken to hospital shortly after police arrived at the scene, and remains there “in a stable condition”.
GMP first confirmed that four adult dogs and nine puppies were seized by officers on Sunday, and were taken away by specialist partners.
Four more dogs were then seized yesterday, bringing the total to 17.
With investigations ongoing, GMP has confirmed that a “vehicle of interest” has been recovered and searched, as well as three people having been arrested on suspicion of owning a dangerous dog – but they have each since been released on bail.
Enquires are still continuing to locate individuals the force believes “have responsibility for the dogs”.
Detective Inspector Matthew Dixon, of GMP’s Trafford district, called it “a fluid investigation”, and added that: “So far we have recovered 17 dogs and made three arrests, as well as a vehicle of interest – however, the investigation is very much ongoing.”
Greater Manchester Police says it has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) over the incident.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to contact police quoting log 1612-26/03/23.
Featured Image – Google Maps
Manchester United reject offers for Mason Greenwood as rep says he ‘should be allowed to move forward with his young life’
Manchester United have reportedly rejected a number of offers for Mason Greenwood as the club continues their internal investigation into his behaviour.
The club have reportedly received a number of offers for the young forward from Turkish teams in recent weeks and months while Greenwood has been suspended from playing or training. He has yet to return to the sport after charges of attempted rape, controlling and coercive behaviour and assault occasioning actual bodily harm were dropped.
The charges handed down in January 2022 were ultimately dropped last month when key witnesses withdrew, more than a year on from the incident that was widely circulated on social media.
Now, following a behind-the-scenes feature by The Athletic and ‘new material’ leading the Crown Prosecution Service to drop the case for the foreseeable, it seems United are now the only party still investigating Greenwood, with his own team and figures around the club pushing for a resolution.
Speaking to Laurie Whitwell as part of the piece, one of Greenwood’s representatives argued that there is “no real substance” to the allegations, them “a mix of old news, speculation, half-truths and completely untrue claims.”
He went on to say, “Mason is 21, he has been cleared and should be allowed the opportunity to rebuild and move forward with his young life.”
Another source is also said to have told the outlet that the youngster has been fundamentally changed by the experience, insisting that he “would run through a brick wall” to be back playing at United.
As for the club’s stance, it remains to be seen what their final decision on his future will be, but it was reported earlier this month that a potential return is still “firmly under consideration” and his number 11 shirt has not yet been vacated as many would have expected if he was set to move on.
On the other hand, the article goes on to detail questions surrounding Greenwood’s conduct and general attitude during his relatively short time as a senior player too, the suggestion being that he was slacking in training because “he knew he was a good player”.
His attendance at Carrington is said to have been raised as an issue on more than one occasion and then-manager Ole Gunnar Solskjær often covered for training sessions and games he missed after failing to turn up to the team hotel for “unexplained absences”.
Another source who watched him play aged just 16 also went on to reveal that Bradford-born academy product “wasn’t shy about telling someone they were s***”, apparently even calling out Cristiano Ronaldo as “dead [finished]” when he was still at Real Madrid.
Greenwood played over 100 senior games for United and was widely considered one of the brightest young prospects in England, let alone the club, but the career trajectory he looked to be on is widely different from the problematic position he finds himself in now, regardless of any offers from abroad.