Following the discovery of human remains, and a ‘major incident’ subsequently declared back on 25 July, the police force has issued a statement naming four Vietnamese nationals – Cuong Van Chu, Uoc Van Nguyen, Duong Van Nguyen, and Nam Thanh Le – who were all were reported missing to GMP on Thursday 21 July.
Images of each of the four men have also been released by GMP.
39-year-old Cuong was said to have arrived in the UK in June 2019, and maintained regular contact with his wife and children, but they have not heard from him since Saturday 7 May 2022, while Uoc (31) also maintained regular contact with his wife, but she too has not heard from him since the same date – at which time, he said he was in a mill.
GMP also revealed that 29-year-old Duong arrived in the UK approximately 12 months ago, and last contacted his family around three months ago, at which time he told them he was living in “an abandoned house” whilst looking for work.
In a similar situation, Nam (21) arrived in the UK in January 2022, and last contacted his family on Wednesday 4 May 2022 to tell them he was residing in “a derelict house” in “Dam” – believed to be Oldham – whilst looking for work.
The names of the missing men have been released after GMP confirmed in a statement last month, that on Saturday 23 July 2022, human remains were discovered by demolition workers at Bismark House Mill, on Bower Street in Oldham.
Since the discovery of the remains, detectives from GMP’s Oldham district and major incident team have confirmed that, on Saturday 7 May 2022, Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) attended a fire at the premises – which was extinguished over four days – but at this time, it was not believed that anyone was inside the mill.
Specialists have since confirmed the recovery of remains of three victims, although they have not yet been formally identified.
“We are continuing to search Bismark House Mill to ensure the recovery of all human remains and any objects of significance. Meanwhile, the investigation team is following several lines of enquiry relating to the fire and activities at the mill beforehand,” explained Detective Superintendent Lewis Hughes.
“Though we have reason to suspect that Cuong, Uoc, Duong and Nam may have been in the mill during the fire, we are keeping an open mind with regards to how many people were present and their whereabouts.
“I therefore appeal to them or anyone with information about their whereabouts before or after the fire to contact us, and I stress that their safety and welfare is our number one priority.
“We also continue to appeal for information about the fire or activities at the mill beforehand.”
Anyone with information should submit it via the Major Incident Public Portal here, or call should make contact via 0161 856 0055 quoting Operation Logan.
Information can also be shared anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
A Japanese fine dining restaurant is opening in the former Randall & Aubin site
A new Japanese fine dining restaurant will open on Bridge Street in Manchester this October, bringing a theatrical ‘multi-sensory’ dining experience to the city.
Giving diners the chance to dine from specially created 7 and 11-course tasting menus or opt for a traditional ‘chef’s choice’ experience at its six-seat Omakase counter, bosses say it will offer a contemporary interpretation of Japanese dishes currently not seen outside of London.
Called MUSU, which translates as ‘infinite possibilities,’ the restaurant is the brainchild of Chef Patron Michael Shaw, who has worked at top eateries including Le Manoir aux Quat’ Saisons and Richard Neat’s eponymous restaurant in Canne.
Shaw has spent the last 18 months honing his passion for Japanese cuisine in preparation to open MUSU and will bring on Head Sushi Chef Andre Aguiar, who has trained under renowned Japanese sushi master YugoKato, to head up the kitchen.
When MUSU it opens its doors on Bridge Street on 6 October, diners will be treated to a new tasting menu concept that promises to deliver a ‘multi-sensory dining experience.’
Its menu is divided into three sections – Sentaku, Kaiseki and Omakase – giving diners the choice between ordering dishes a la carte style, opting for a set seven or eleven-course tasting menu, or entrusting the chef to create their ‘perfect menu.’
As for the new high-end Japanese restaurant’s design, MUSU’s multi-million-pound interiors will boast bespoke Italian furniture, subtle mood lighting and bespoke Geisha-inspired walls, with a bar made from Dekton stone, banana leaf patterned brass and onyx.
A huge festival dedicated to the wonders of Spanish cuisine is coming to Manchester next month.
Organised as part of country-wide celebration by Spanish brewery Estrella Galicia, the festival will bring some of the city’s finest Spanish and South American chefs together for a vibrant mix of tapas tours, foodie masterclasses and high-end tasting menus.
Hosted cross Manchester, London, Cardiff, Brighton and Newcastle, locals can take part in the ultimate Spanish food tour with selected restaurants offering their best-selling tapas plates with a pint of Estrella Galicia on the side.
Former Masterchef contestant Caroline Martins of the Sao Paulo Project will host a special tasting menu at her current home inside Ancoats’ Blossom Street Social, mixing traditional Spanish dishes with influences from her home country of Brazil in Central America on Sunday 11 September.
An official Estrella Galicia Chef Ambassador for 2022, Martins has made quite a name for herself since arriving in Manchester – appearing on the Great British Menu earlier this year and wowing local diners in Ancoats with her Alice in Wonderland-style food.
Known for serving weird and wonderful creations like edible ‘beef fat’ candles, marshmallows topped with tongue-numbing Jambu flowers and desserts disguised as poisonous mushrooms, Caroline has become something of a local sensation since moving to Manchester in 2020.
Elsewhere across the festival, local tapas favourites Evuna, La Bandera and the family-run staple El Rincon de Rafa will all get involved in a special tapas tour across the city on Thursday 29 September.