The release of the appeal and accompanying CCTV images come after a member of the public called police in Tameside shortly after 11pm on Monday night to report that they had seen a young woman forced into the back of a small silver car by a man close to the Dog and Partridge pub on Taunton Road in Ashton-under-Lyne.
GMP explains that officers’ enquiries so far have suggested that the pair may have had an argument in the moments prior to the incident occurring.
The car was then seen driving off towards the direction of Oldham.
Detectives from Ashton CID are now “working to establish the circumstances”, GMP confirms, but said they are keen to stress that their priority is to ensure the welfare of the woman and man involved in the incident.
CCTV footage trawls have been ongoing throughout the day, and GMP says that this extensive work will continue.
By releasing images captured from CCTV, detectives say they are hopeful that someone may be able to recognise the two people involved, or recall if they witnessed anything in the area last night, to assist with ongoing investigations.
“Our absolute priority here is the welfare of the young woman and man involved in this incident after we received a concerning call from a member of the public about what they had seen,” explained Detective Superintendent Richard Hunt, of GMP’s Tameside district.
“We’re moving as quickly as we can to establish who the pair are and where they could be now to ensure they are safe and well.
“We know the images we’ve been able to release so far are not of ideal quality, but we do hope that there will be someone who may recognise them – either personally or who may have witnessed them last night – and is able to get in touch with us to help progress our fast-moving enquiries.”
Greater Manchester Police says it is also keen to hear from anyone who may have been driving on Taunton Road and Oldham Road around the Dog and Partridge pub too, as any possible sightings or dashcam footage involving the car “could be crucial”.
Anyone with any information can call police on 0161 856 9262 or use the LiveChat facility on the GMP website quoting incident 4013 of 15/08/2022.
Details can also be anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.
Manchester music store Forsyth is giving away free music lessons
Manchester music store Forsyth is giving away a host of free music lessons next month in a bid to inspire people to learn a new instrument, or pick up an old one.
The store is giving new and returning musicians a chance to receive a 10–15-minute free music taster session as part of its Music for All Learn to Play ’22 event.
Taking place across 8 and 9 October between 10am-5pm (8 October) and 1130am-30pm (9 October),short taster music lessons will allow all ages and abilities to have a musical experience that could turn into a lifetime of enjoyment, or even a new career.
Speaking on the free music lesson initiative, Emma from Forsyths said: “The past two years have shown how important music is to all our lives and how it can bring people together even in the most difficult of circumstances.
“We aim to help as many people as possible understand the unique joys and benefits of learning an instrument (or taking part in a choir).
“Anyone interested in learning to play an instrument or looking to pick it up again, should come and join us for this two-day celebration of music making.
“We’re delighted to be part of Music for All’s Learn to Play ’22 event, and we can’t wait to get started.”
OBE Jools Holland, Patron of Music for All, said: “Making music is very important to me. It’s my work, my pleasure, my friend, companion and therapist.
The charity Music for All believes passionately in the unique power of music to change lives and that is why it runs Learn to Play.
Music for All believes everyone should have equal access to music making.
The charity supports disadvantaged music makers by providing cash grants for tuition and instruments and by donating instruments directly.
Celebrated author Dame Hilary Mantel has died ‘suddenly yet peacefully’ aged 70
Dame Hilary Mantel has died aged 70.
The unexpected passing of the critically-acclaimed author whose celebrated career spans nearly five decades has just been announced by her agents 4th Estate Books and her publishing team at HarperCollins in two separate statements released this morning – who confirmed that she died “suddenly yet peacefully”.
The Glossop-born writer was famed for historical fiction work, and was most-known for being the author of the beloved Wolf Hall trilogy.
The statement by her agents confirming her passing reads: “We are heartbroken at the death of our beloved author, Dame Hilary Mantel, and our thoughts are with her friends and family, especially her husband, Gerald.
“This is a devastating loss and we can only be grateful she left us with such a magnificent body of work.”
Mantel’s publishers HarperCollins called her “one of the greatest English novelists of this century”.
The company’s statement reads: “It is with great sadness that AM Heath and HarperCollins announce that bestselling author Dame Hilary Mantel DBE died suddenly yet peacefully yesterday, surrounded by close family and friends, aged 70.
“Hilary Mantel was one of the greatest English novelists of this century and her beloved works are considered modern classics.
Mantel has twice been awarded the Booker Prize, the first time for the 2009 novel Wolf Hall, a fictional account of Thomas Cromwell’s rise to power in the court of Henry VIII, and secondly for the 2012 novel Bring Up the Bodies, the second instalment of the Cromwell trilogy.
She was the first woman, and fourth person, to receive the award twice.