A drunk driver who caused the death of a 77-year-old man as a result of his “dangerous” actions has been handed a lengthy prison sentence.
Tom Ferguson has been sentenced to 12 years in prison after causing the death of 77-year-old Robert Palmer late last year, it has been confirmed, and has also been banned from driving for 13 years on top of this.
The 29-year-old was sentenced last Friday (8 March 2024) after appearing in court.
Ferguson’s sentencing and driving ban comes after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) were called to were called to reports of a road traffic collision on Buxton Road in Stockport on Thursday 9 November 2023 at around 11:35am, and after officers arrived on the scene, it was found that a BMW 1 Series – which was being driven by Ferguson – was travelling in a south-eastern direction on Buxton Road, when it mounted the pavement on its nearside, and subsequently collided with a pedestrian near to junction of Fence Street.
Ferguson then re-joined the carriageway in the BM1 following the collision, and began to drive away from the scene.
But a member of the public who witnessed the collision was said to have “courageously chased him down” and “forced him off the road using his own vehicle” – which brought Ferguson to a stop at a set of traffic lights.
Buxton Road in Stockport, near to where the fatal collision occurred / Credit: Google Maps
After approaching the car, GMP says the member of the public confronted Ferguson and made reference to the fact that he’d collided with a pedestrian – only for Ferguson to respond by saying “Have I? Sorry mate, I didn’t even know.”
The pedestrian, Robert Palmer, was taken to hospital following the collision, but later tragically died as a result of his injuries.
Ferguson was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, and taken to police custody for questioning, before later being charged with causing death by dangerous driving, causing death whilst disqualified, causing death whilst uninsured, and failing to stop at the scene of an accident on 11 November 2023.
A police investigation to establish the full circumstances of the incident was subsequently launched.
Police officers investigating events leading up to the time of the collision established that Ferguson has been staying at a hotel in the area, and was asked to leave by staff after “numerous complaints” of him being intoxicated.
#NEWS | Today, Tom Ferguson (24/08/1994) of no fixed abode was sentenced to 12 years in prison for causing the death of 77-year-old Robert Palmer.
He consumed nine-and-a-half litre bottles of rum over a two-day period prior to the collision.
— Greater Manchester Police (@gmpolice) March 8, 2024
It was found that Ferguson consumed nine-and-a-half litre bottles of rum over a two-day period prior to the collision, and later forensic work also showed that he was two times over the legal limit to drive, despite being tested hours after the initial collision occurred.
Detective Constable Liam Carolan, from GMP’s Serious Collision Investigation Unit, described Ferguson’s actions as “ridiculously irresponsible”.
DC Carolan continued, following Ferguson’s sentencing last week: “Getting behind the wheel of a car after a couple of drinks can have devastating effects, let alone driving after consuming nine-and-a-half bottles of rum over a two-day period.
“This is such a sad case of a husband accompanying his wife back from a hospital appointment. Robert’s wife described him as a true gentleman that he would always make sure he positioned himself on the outside of the pathway to protect her from traffic – but his deepest fears sadly became a reality when he was hit by Ferguson’s BMW.”
He added that the entire team involved in the investigation “worked tirelessly” to ensure Ferguson was “put behind bars and remained there”.
Featured Image – GMP
News
Huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech to open at Quayside MediaCity
Emily Sergeant
Time to get practicing your swing, as a huge new premium indoor golf venue is opening up over in Salford this autumn.
Founded by a local PGA Professional and spanning a whopping 4,500 sq ft of state-of-the-art space, TeeClub is set to be a revolutionary new venture where cutting-edge technology meets luxurious comfort at the unique waterside destination.
TeeClub will provide a first-of-its-kind premium environment with seven high-tech Trackman simulators, taking players to more than 450 world-famous courses including St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, and more.
The new venue is also launching a partnership with sports equipment brand TaylorMade, so golf fans can either bring their own clubs to use on the day, or make use of TaylorMade equipment available if needed.
Resident PGA professionals will offer personalised lessons with AI-driven video analysis when the venue opens later this year, while a dedicated club fitter will make sure every swing is matched with the right equipment.
There’ll also be a club shop stocking TaylorMade gear alongside apparel from Manchester-based brand, Concrete Links Co.
The new venue is designed for both individuals and businesses alike, and will offer exclusive memberships and corporate packages, as well as semi-private bays and interactive gaming modes, making it an ideal place for team-building events or relaxed evenings with friends.
A huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech is opening at Quayside MediaCity / Credit: Supplied
There’ll also be bar on site serving coffee, pizzas, snacks, wine, and craft beers.
“Our vision for TeeClub is to create an indoor golf experience that combines the authenticity of the sport with modern luxury,” commented Nick Holmes, who is a PGA Professional and the Director of Golf at TeeClub, ahead of the venue opening this autumn.
“Whether you’re a beginner looking to learn, a corporate group hosting an event, or an experienced golfer, TeeClub will provide the tools, technology, and atmosphere.”
TeeClub is set to open at Quayside this autumn, but an official launch date is yet to be confirmed, so keep your eyes peeled.
Featured Image – Supplied
News
Florence + The Machine announce massive Manchester gig on new tour
Daisy Jackson
Florence + The Machine are heading back out on a huge arena tour, with a massive gig here in Manchester.
Florence Welch has announced the UK and European tour dates in support of her sixth studio album, Everybody Scream.
As well as a show at the Co-op Live in Manchester, Florence + The Machine will perform in Sheffield, London and Liverpool, along with several other UK cities.
She’ll be joined by Paris Paloma as support across all 18 dates.
Last week, Florence released the album’s title track, ahead of the album’s release on 31 October. She’s worked for two years on this new music, calling on collaborators including Mark Bowen of IDLES, Aaron Dessner and Mitski.
She has said that this new album explores womanhood, partnership, aging and dying, inspired by her recovery from lifesaving surgery on the Dance Fever Tour.
Big hits of Florence + The Machine’s discography include You’ve Got The Love, Shake It Out, and Spectrum (Say My Name), and she’s collaborated with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.
She’s famed for her high-energy, ethereal stage presence which has seen her sell out arenas for years.
Florence + The Machine will be back in Manchester in February 2026, performing at the Co-op Live on 20 February.
Tickets go on sale on Friday 5 September 2025 at 10am HERE.
There are also packages available with Seat Unique HERE.