With Halloween finally over and done with, it’s time to start thinking about Christmas. Whilst many might already be debating whether it’s too early to put up their tree, there’s one thing we can all agree that it’s never too soon to start thinking about: food.
The festive shopping season has finally arrived in full, and with it there are some spectacular Christmas treats out now on the shelves.
None is more spectacular this year, though, than Selfridge’s giant 8kg beast of a panettone – created exclusively for the department store by the Perbellini family in Verona, who have been baking incredible Italian recipes for 130 years.
Image: The Manc Eats
Image: The Manc Eats
The huge Italian Christmas cake, an Italian type of sweet bread originally hailing from Milan, is the biggest you can buy on the market this year.
It serves a whopping 100 people and has been designed to celebrate the return of big Christmas parties, after two years of relative isolation.
ADVERTISEMENT
Priced at £300, every penny goes to support the young people’s homeless charity Centrepoint to fund housing and support for those who find themselves with nowhere else to go here in the UK.
Handmade by the Perbellini family in Verona, the panettone has been made using a recipe that is exclusive to Selfridges.
ADVERTISEMENT
Pierluigi Perbellini, head pastry chef, said: “Since the 1700s, panettones have been a traditional staple on every Italian table at Christmas.
“Our panettone is made extra-special by the ingredients we use, from our 55-year-old mother dough to the bourbon vanilla beans all the way from Madagascar. It really stands out from the crowd, and will be the centre of any feast.”
Image: Supplied
Image: Supplied
Last year sales of panettone were up 41% on 2020, as the sweet Italian bread soared in popularity, overtaking both Christmas cake and Christmas pudding.
ADVERTISEMENT
In 2021, Selfridges sold 75% more panettone than Christmas puddings, and 200% more than Christmas cake, so it seemed like a no-brainer to create this beast of a fruit cake for parties in 2022.
Read more:Manchester to ‘remember the fallen’ with ceremony and parade this Remembrance Sunday
Andrew Bird, Head of Food at Selfridges, said: “Our 8kg panettone is the ultimate centrepiece for a festive party or get together.
“Inspired by our Christmas theme, Season’s Feastings, and the power of food in bringing people together, especially at Christmas, we wanted to create something to be shared and enjoyed by many, with the added benefit “
The giant panettone, alongside Selfridges’ other varieties, is available to view and purchase at the Manchester Exchange Square store from now until Christmas. It can also be ordered online here.
Feature image – Supplied
News
Hundreds of staff to strike at four Greater Manchester hospitals next week
Emily Sergeant
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week.
More than 350 Northern Care Alliance Foundation Trust (NCA) employees – including nurses, clinical support workers and housekeepers – are walking out for three days next week after union UNISON says an offer to ‘resolve’ a dispute was withdrawn before discussions could take place.
According to the union, the dispute centres on the NCA’s use of an outside agency called NHS Professionals (NHSP) to manage overtime.
When covering staff shortages, workers are entitled to time-and-a-half pay – however in some cases, staff earn less than they would on a normal shift, and some have even been missing out on more than £80 per shift, the union added.
Operating theatre staff were previously on picket lines in June, and although an option to resolve the row was initially tabled by NCA bosses, this has now fallen through.
Hundreds of staff at four of Greater Manchester’s hospitals are set to strike next week / Credit: Stephen Andrews (via Unsplash)
This means that staff at Salford Royal Hospital, Royal Oldham Hospital, Rochdale Infirmary, and Fairfield Hospital in Bury are walking out next week on Monday 24, Wednesday 26, and Friday 28 August.
In particular, staff from all four sites will also gather in Salford on Wednesday (26 August) for a ‘unified’ day of protest.
Understandably, some disruption is expected at each of the hospitals on strike days.
“Those at the top of NCA have shown a lack of leadership and made their disregard for their staff clear,” explained UNISON North West regional organiser, Kevin Dolan.
“A deal was put on the table but taken away before we had chance to talk it over. We are ready to continue negotiations, but it’s obvious NCA has no intention of resolving this.
“This isn’t complicated. Staff are simply asking for what their contract says they’re entitled to. Nothing more.”
Featured Image – Pxhere
News
Wetherspoons introduces new phone rule at all UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’
Emily Sergeant
JD Wetherspoon has announced a major new phone rule in all its sites across the UK after customers complain of being ‘driven nuts’.
The pub chain – which has nearly 800 branches across the UK – announced earlier this week that it has made the decision to ban people from playing music or videos out of their phones, and from taking calls on loudspeaker.
The ban, which has been introduced effective immediately, follows a rising number of complaints from customers about the noise – with owners saying sounds from smartphones and tablet computers had become an ‘increasing problem’ in recent years.
Wetherspoon founder and chairman, Tim Martin, says he wants Wetherspoon pubs to be ‘an oasis of tranquillity and contemplation’.
Wetherspoons has introduced a new phone rule at all its UK pubs after customers are ‘driven nuts’ / Credit: Allan Rohmer (via Unsplash)
A formal statement from the company announcing the ban reads: “Following complaints from customers, who are being driven nuts by other people’s videos and amplified phone conversations, Wetherspoon has asked customers to switch their phones to silent or to use earphones.”
Tim Martin added: “In order to avoid customers being driven chicken jalfrezi by a cacophony of sound, we are kindly asking phone users to pipe down.”
Wetherspoon’s ban follows a YouGov poll conducted last year questioning public opinion on a proposition made by the Liberal Democrats of introducing fines of up to £1,000 for ‘headphone dodgers’ who play music out loud on buses and trains.
62% of people, on average, said they would back this move if it was introduced.
The poll, which surveyed 6,815 British adults, found that almost three-quarters of those over 65 would support the fines, while those aged between 18 and 24 were split 47% to 43% in favour of it.
Early public reactions to Wetherspoon’s ban appears to be overwhelmingly positive.