A local mum has launched a petition to fight for sentencing increases after her son was “killed by a drink driver” back in 2019.
It was Sunday 16th June 2019 when Paula Johnson received the phone call that changed her life.
A call from a police officer informing her that her only son, Kristian, had been killed after being hit by a car while out with friends in Bacup.
Kristian was raising a Father’s Day glass to his late dad – who had died suddenly when he was teenager – and was said to have told his friends that evening that after years of struggling to come terms his dad’s death, he felt that he could finally move on, but after taking a taxi to the Texaco petrol station in Bacup, Kristian was struck by drink-driver while crossing the road.
He suffered fatal head injuries and sadly died at the scene.
The driver of the car, 19-year-old Emily Rogers, had been drinking alcohol at two pubs prior to getting behind the wheel of her Suzuki Alto.
But despite the loss of life and devastation caused, Rogers was only sentenced to three years in jail, of which she is serving 18 months and disqualified from driving for 54 months. She can expect to be released from prison after serving half her sentence – 18 months – and spend the remainder on licence in the community.
It was this very decision that served as the catalyst for Paula Johnson’s mission to make a change.
Paula Johnson
Paula, 54, told the MEN that her “life is over” following the loss of Kristian.
But the grieving mum now wants to highlight what she views as “inconsistencies in sentences” given to those who have committed driving offences, which is why she has launched a petition calling for the UK government to increase the maximum penalty to life sentences for ‘Death By Careless & Dangerous Driving’.
She believes that those convicted should serve a minimum of 15 years.
On launching the official UK Government and Parliament Petition, Paula said: “Kristian’s killer was convicted of causing death by ‘Careless Driving’ rather than ‘Dangerous Driving’ – a crime which carries a maximum sentence of just five years.
“18 months in prison is not justice for killing someone and is unlikely to deter future drink-driving [and] the sentence does not fit the crime.
“The impact to the lives of the victim’s family is incomprehensible and a sentence of 18 months further damages the family. Kristian was 24, of good health and should have had a full life ahead of him [but] instead, it was cut tragically short.
“We are asking the government to increase the maximum penalty to life sentences for death by careless driving as they promised in October 2017 and those convicted should serve a minimum of 15 years”.
Paula Johnson
The petition has now over 13,300 signatures and counting, with Paula urging members of the local community, and across Greater Manchester and beyond join in helping make a difference.
She is already awaiting a government response following the petition surpassing the 10,000 signatures mark, but the goal is to reach 100,000 signatures, which will then see this petition “considered for debate in Parliament”.
The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) has previously said that sentencing is a matter for independent courts who consider the facts of each case, with a spokesperson adding that a landmark White Paper – which was announced last September – will ensure that offenders who cause loss of life by careless driving, while under the influence of drink or drugs, could also face life in prison.
In addition, a new offence of causing serious injury by careless driving is set to be created, with the MoJ saying that the new offence “seeks to ensure that careless drivers who ruin lives and leave their victims with long-term injuries are punished appropriately.”.
The proposed law changes would increase the maximum penalty for causing death by dangerous driving from 14 years to life, and create a new offence of causing serious injury by careless driving, as well as also increasing the maximum penalty for causing death by careless driving while under the influence of drink or drugs from 14 years to life.
But with the proposals first mooted three years ago, Paula wants to see a timeline for the legislation and is fighting for change to be brought about sooner rather than later.
___
The Kristian Johnson’s Law petition is due to end on 17th February 2021, and you can sign and support the cause here.
News
Florence + The Machine announce massive Manchester gig on new tour
Daisy Jackson
Florence + The Machine are heading back out on a huge arena tour, with a massive gig here in Manchester.
Florence Welch has announced the UK and European tour dates in support of her sixth studio album, Everybody Scream.
As well as a show at the Co-op Live in Manchester, Florence + The Machine will perform in Sheffield, London and Liverpool, along with several other UK cities.
She’ll be joined by Paris Paloma as support across all 18 dates.
Last week, Florence released the album’s title track, ahead of the album’s release on 31 October. She’s worked for two years on this new music, calling on collaborators including Mark Bowen of IDLES, Aaron Dessner and Mitski.
She has said that this new album explores womanhood, partnership, aging and dying, inspired by her recovery from lifesaving surgery on the Dance Fever Tour.
Big hits of Florence + The Machine’s discography include You’ve Got The Love, Shake It Out, and Spectrum (Say My Name), and she’s collaborated with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.
She’s famed for her high-energy, ethereal stage presence which has seen her sell out arenas for years.
Florence + The Machine will be back in Manchester in February 2026, performing at the Co-op Live on 20 February.
Tickets go on sale on Friday 5 September 2025 at 10am HERE.
There are also packages available with Seat Unique HERE.
New ‘postboxes of the future’ are being rolled out across the UK
Danny Jones
The Royal Mail is starting to roll out its line of so-called “postboxes of the future” across the UK this year, including right here in Greater Manchester.
It has been dubbed the most important and noticeable transformation to the classic British postbox in its entire 175-year history.
The national postal service teased the modern-day upgrade earlier this year, but the revolutionary new upgrade was officially announced this week, with Royal Mail ushering in a new era of digitally-driven units that should make many lives a lot easier – at least in theory.
Although they might look pretty identical to the iconic red boxes since before the turn of the 19th century have used up and down the country, there are marked differences between the new and the old ones.
Credit: Royal Mail
The biggest change made to the Royal Mail’s soon-to-be standard design is a digitally activated drop-down drawer, which will be able to fit parcels as big as a shoebox, hopefully saving us Brits on a fair few trips to the post office.
You will be able to scan a barcode via the updated Royal Mail app to activate the drawer for larger items; meanwhile, there will be a separate slot for letters and smaller packages.
Additionally, the new range of high-tech postboxes will also be solar-powered, helping the public limited company chase its ‘green’ targets.
Now owned by parent firm International Distribution Services (IDS) – who also oversee Parcelforce Worldwide – following the UK government’s approval of its historic sale to Czech billionaire Daniel Křetínský at the end of 2024, the group as a whole is undergoing a significant overhaul.
Britain’s new solar postboxes were first trialled back in April in four towns located throughout the Hertfordshire region: Letchworth Garden City, Ware and Hertford. A fifth was later installed in Fowlmere, Cambridgeshire, too.
Despite being quickly considered a success on the whole, the initial design featured an entirely black top, with polls of civilians and Royal Mail themselves agreeing that keeping them red all over was more in keeping with the brand.
It’s like the old school phone box, isn’t it? We can’t picture it any other way.
📮Attention Postbox Lovers 📮
Royal Mail is upgrading postboxes to accept parcels. They'll gaining a new slot and a solar panel on top
Speaking in a statement, the Royal Mail‘s managing director of ‘out-of-home and commercial excellence’, Jack Clarkson, said: “We are all sending and returning more parcels than ever before.
“This trend will only continue as online shopping shows no signs of slowing, particularly with the boom of second-hand marketplaces. There are 115,000 postboxes in the UK located within half a mile of 98% of addresses, making them by far the most convenient network of parcel drop-off points in the UK.
“Our message is clear – if you have a Royal Mail label on your parcel, and it fits, put it in a postbox and we’ll do the rest.”
The new generation postboxes are now being made permanent in the same locations, with Edinburgh, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester next.
Keep your eyes peeled on the streets as they’ll soon be making a debut in your area.