The government’s new plan for the removal of unsafe cladding has left residents saying they feel ‘betrayed’.
Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick announced £3.5bn of extra funding in the House of Commons on Wednesday (February 10), calling it the “largest ever government investment in building safety”.
The minister said that grants will be available to people living in high-rises in England over 18 metres tall, or above six storeys. Loans will also be offered to leaseholders in shorter buildings.
But the End Our Cladding Scandal campaign, which represents residents of flats with unfit cladding, said the government had broken its promise.
“We were hoping for a solution to stop the sleepless nights and for millions living in buildings less than 18m there has been none,” the organisation stated.
“Many people living in buildings under 18m will still have to bear the cost – for many above £30,000 – saddled with debt around their necks for thirty years.
“Where is the money for missing fire breaks, alarms or for cladding on buildings under 18m? Leaseholders are the victims of this crisis and have done nothing wrong to deserve this.”
Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham also criticised the funding plan, claiming the campaign for a solution to the crisis “will go on.”
The Mayor asked: “How on earth can the Government justify this unfair and divisive move?”.
“The Cube in Bolton was below 18m but it burnt as quickly as Grenfell. 1000s of people in Greater Manchester will now face a choice of unaffordable loans or living with unsafe cladding.”
How on earth can the Government justify this unfair and divisive move?
The Cube in Bolton was below 18m but it burnt as quickly as Grenfell.
1000s of people in Greater Manchester will now face a choice of unaffordable loans or living with unsafe cladding.
New safety legislation was introduced in the wake of the 2017 Grenfell fire – which killed 72 people – to remove all combustible cladding on tower blocks nationwide.
But flat owners have been charged for the necessary safety repairs to their buildings – leaving thousands of people with “life-changing” bills.
According to Inside Housing, one in six leaseholders involved in the cladding crisis are actively exploring bankruptcy options, with 62% facing costs greater than £30k.
In September, survivors of Grenfell campaigned for the government to do more on cladding – warning them the crisis “could happen again at any time“.
The government announced a £1.6bn building safety fund last year which failed to cover the total cost of repairs – with 700,000 people left living in debt in dangerous high rises.
Last week it was revealed that Greater Manchester Combined Authority (GMCA) would take charge of distributing a £30 million Waking Watch relief fund – covering the installation of fire alarm systems – to local leaseholders.
But for some residents the fund “came too late”, with many having already paid thousands of pounds for Waking Watch measures (which involve security guards patrolling buildings with air horns).
Leaseholders living at Albion Works building in Ancoats reportedly had to pay £400k for seven months of Waking Watch measures, before having a new fire alarm added which was then deemed unsuitable – leading to the reintroduction of Waking Watch patrols in February.
News
Huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech to open at Quayside MediaCity
Emily Sergeant
Time to get practicing your swing, as a huge new premium indoor golf venue is opening up over in Salford this autumn.
Founded by a local PGA Professional and spanning a whopping 4,500 sq ft of state-of-the-art space, TeeClub is set to be a revolutionary new venture where cutting-edge technology meets luxurious comfort at the unique waterside destination.
TeeClub will provide a first-of-its-kind premium environment with seven high-tech Trackman simulators, taking players to more than 450 world-famous courses including St. Andrews, Pebble Beach, and more.
The new venue is also launching a partnership with sports equipment brand TaylorMade, so golf fans can either bring their own clubs to use on the day, or make use of TaylorMade equipment available if needed.
Resident PGA professionals will offer personalised lessons with AI-driven video analysis when the venue opens later this year, while a dedicated club fitter will make sure every swing is matched with the right equipment.
There’ll also be a club shop stocking TaylorMade gear alongside apparel from Manchester-based brand, Concrete Links Co.
The new venue is designed for both individuals and businesses alike, and will offer exclusive memberships and corporate packages, as well as semi-private bays and interactive gaming modes, making it an ideal place for team-building events or relaxed evenings with friends.
A huge new premium indoor golf venue with ‘cutting-edge’ tech is opening at Quayside MediaCity / Credit: Supplied
There’ll also be bar on site serving coffee, pizzas, snacks, wine, and craft beers.
“Our vision for TeeClub is to create an indoor golf experience that combines the authenticity of the sport with modern luxury,” commented Nick Holmes, who is a PGA Professional and the Director of Golf at TeeClub, ahead of the venue opening this autumn.
“Whether you’re a beginner looking to learn, a corporate group hosting an event, or an experienced golfer, TeeClub will provide the tools, technology, and atmosphere.”
TeeClub is set to open at Quayside this autumn, but an official launch date is yet to be confirmed, so keep your eyes peeled.
Featured Image – Supplied
News
Florence + The Machine announce massive Manchester gig on new tour
Daisy Jackson
Florence + The Machine are heading back out on a huge arena tour, with a massive gig here in Manchester.
Florence Welch has announced the UK and European tour dates in support of her sixth studio album, Everybody Scream.
As well as a show at the Co-op Live in Manchester, Florence + The Machine will perform in Sheffield, London and Liverpool, along with several other UK cities.
She’ll be joined by Paris Paloma as support across all 18 dates.
Last week, Florence released the album’s title track, ahead of the album’s release on 31 October. She’s worked for two years on this new music, calling on collaborators including Mark Bowen of IDLES, Aaron Dessner and Mitski.
She has said that this new album explores womanhood, partnership, aging and dying, inspired by her recovery from lifesaving surgery on the Dance Fever Tour.
Big hits of Florence + The Machine’s discography include You’ve Got The Love, Shake It Out, and Spectrum (Say My Name), and she’s collaborated with the likes of Taylor Swift, The Rolling Stones, and Lady Gaga.
She’s famed for her high-energy, ethereal stage presence which has seen her sell out arenas for years.
Florence + The Machine will be back in Manchester in February 2026, performing at the Co-op Live on 20 February.
Tickets go on sale on Friday 5 September 2025 at 10am HERE.
There are also packages available with Seat Unique HERE.